Snack Ideas

Options
I desperately need some snack (as in treats) ideas ... I admit I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chocolate, but I'm doing pretty good at staying away from that, although I do enjoy the thin 70 or 85% Lindt mini squares every so often.
I LOVE fruit and greek yogurt etc., so I do eat fruit for dessert but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. I'm now a pro at staying away at all the junk (donuts, cupcakes, cake) that come into our office so that's not an issue, but you know sometimes you just need a little something. Any ideas or what can I add to my fruit to make it seem more dessert-y?
I try my best to eat as 'Clean' as possible too if that helps.

Thanks MFP peeps!

Replies

• Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE chocolate!!! I found a substitute for it...Kelloggs makes a cereal that is all chocolate. One serving is 3/4 of a cup, only 100 calories. It is called Krave. I put it in a snack sized baggie and use it to munch on at work. Helps me get the fiber I need cos normally I don't eat cereals.

It is shaped like little squares, perfect for fingers to just pick at.
  • sweetums2
    sweetums2 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been taking nuts with me. I weigh them out and bag them so I know exactly whay I'm eating. Also have you tried dipping your fruit in yogurt? I pretty much eat what ever I want I just weigh it before it goes into my mouth and if it's too much I stop and think a little more and weigh the pros and cons of my choice. That is helping me make better choices.
  • kfelux
    kfelux Posts: 34
    Options
    Popcorn.

Airpopped if you can get it with no butter and all that junk. You can add a smidge of salt if you like. Its my go to when I need a little something but don't want to burst the calorie bubble. Good source of fiber as well.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    melt semisweet chocolate in a double boiler or just microwave carefully. dip strawberries in the melted chocolate and set on wax paper. then place in frig until the choc becomes hard. i personally wouldn't recommend leaving them in the frig more than a day but uhh that usu is not a problem.

edit: make sure the strawberries are completely dry
  • moviewatcher
    Options
    i eat yogurt with granola in it on occassion.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    mcdonalds fruit parfait, 100 calorie snack packs, fruits, v8 splash diet berry, pretzel sticks, fruit snacks, microwave popcorn, flavored rice cakes, oatmeal, skinny cow candy and icecream sandwiches
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I add a little sugar free chocolate pudding mix in with my raspberries and greek yogurt. It's heavenly.
  • brent_woods
    Options
    Some suggestions:

- 10 Almonds (70 Cal)
    - 15-20 Pistachios
    - Fiber 1 Bar (100 Cal)
    - Raw vegetables with hummus
    - Yoplait Source 0% yogurt (35 Cal for 100 ml serving)
    - Fruit
    - Apple & peanut butter
    - Nutri grain bar (130 Cal)
  • Siobhan1983
    Options
    Some of my fav's.....

Kale Chips - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/

Frozen Berries + Milk + Splenda (optional) = Blended. I make it thick and eat it with a spoon when I have a craving for ice cream

Jello - the 40 cal for a whole box one, with some cool whip

Veggie's w/ Dip, Hummus etc

I like to freeze juice boxes and then eat them with a spoon

Freezies (the little ones I buy have about 10 calories in them)
  • Christine1882
    Christine1882 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may not be "clean" but it definitely helps with snacking and the cravings. Special K has 100 calorie Pastry Crisps in chocolate, blueberry and strawberry. They also have 100 calorie brownie bites. Kebbler has chocolate covered pretzels also 100 calories.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    I love that cereal too!! But I can't seem to stop myself so I don't even buy it anymore!!!
    Yum!
  • louieryall
    Options
    When I get a chocolate craving I have a Belgian Low Calorie Options hot chocolate. It's perfect for at night, sweet and warming all in one cup - and only 40kcals! Granola can be high in sugar but adding a pinch of the right stuff to your fruit and yogurt is lovely. This is also really easy to homemake with algarve nectar instead of golden syrup. Good luck!
  • pevansk47
    pevansk47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Special K popcorn chips
    Special sour cream potato crisps
    jello with fruit
    pretezels
    I make my own trail mix: raisins, craisins, almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
  • Rainbowfishmelissa
    Options
    I eat a fiber one oats and chocolate bar. It tastes like heaven!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    break a banana into pieces and freeze it. blend it up, its a similar consistency to forzen yogurt. add other fruit to it, dark chocolate, pb whatever you like.

or make your own frozen yogurt as well

slice an apple, nuke it about 30 secs and sprinkle cinnamon

i like oatmeal for dessert sometimes, or really any time of the day. adding chocolate protein powder to it or unsweetened applesauce with a stevia packet and cinnamon is delish.

plain greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder. its like pudding

rice cakes with apple butter and fat free cream cheese

cannoli dip - ricotta cheese, powdered sugar (or you can use the stevia baking blend and blend it with cornstarch to make your own powdered sugar) with vanilla, as a dip with fruit.

greek yogurt and honey

banana oatmeal cookies - 2 overly ripe bananas, 1 cup oats. roll into balls and bake at 350 for like 20-25 mins. can add dried fruit to it, nuts, carob chips

a chocolate shake - 1 cup coconut milk and 1 to 2 scoop chocolate protein powder or another flavor. shake or blend well. the coconut milk is a thicker consistency so its almost like having a milkshake. almost. lol

frozen grapes or frozen blueberries

a quest bar, like a cookies n cream one nuked 30 secs with a tbsp pb on it

watermelon on a stick
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My favorite is cocoa roasted almonds. They run about 150 per 1/4 cup. I get full and a chocolate fix all at once. :flowerforyou:
  • Dalers90
    Dalers90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Special K chocolate moments are delicious and come in at around 100 (98 I think) calories for 2.
    Happy snacking :) xx
  • kebachor
    kebachor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like the Almond Dream "Lill Dreamers". They are small ice cream sandwiches for 100 cal. The Almond Dream "bites" are good also, chocolate cover chocolate ice cream bites -15 for 240 cal, but I have 8 for 120 cal. and it is a good snack that makes you feel satisfied.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I have recently discovered frozen grapes dusted with lime and cherry sugar free jello. OMGosh...they are delicious and low in calories. Yum!
  • adalaAuuu
    Options
    I know a lot of folks recommend Kellog's chocolate cereal, and I agree it's got a great crunch and some pieces of chocolate (if you can call it that) however, I've found the distribution of chocolate morsel's to cereal bite is just not cutting it for me. There is something not quite chocolate-enough about the chocolate.
    In my quest for healthy foods I have stumbled upon a great cereal that offers a lot of chocolate packed goodness with a good crunch, and is seriously filling. Try out Cascadian Farm Organic "DARK CHOCOLATE ALMOND GRANOLA." It can be found in a lot of grocery stores in their organic or nature's place section. It has the crunchiness of whole grain oats, Semisweet chocolate chips, the nuttiness of almonds, and the added bonus is that it helps satisfy that craving (not just curb it). It's got 250 calories for 3/4 cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of skim milk! Damage averted and good for you too!