Just registered for my first 5K!!!

Options
Hi everyone! I know this isn't a weight loss success story, but I am SO excited that I just registered for my first 5K! I have 4 months to train. I was running pretty regularly until around last October, and I was able to run 2 miles (my longest distance). I ran today and was able to do 1 1/4 miles after several months off, so I feel pretty confident that I can get to 3 miles by August. So happy! Anybody else who is running their first 5K in the next few months (or anyone, really), feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I hope to enter one this spring or summer, after my schedule lightens up a little. Enjoy it :)
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I have my first one in July and then my first Half Marathon in August.
  • chelsearosess
    chelsearosess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Good luck with yours! :)
  • Meganisaface
    Meganisaface Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really would like to run in a 5k. I have no idea where to start though! any advise to help get started would be appreciated!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Best Wishes!

To start, just start walking. Lots of C25K apps and books out there. Start walking, intermix running, until you can run a full 30 minutes.

Some of us are destined to be walkers of the 5k because of physically limitations. Doesn't stop me!:smile: Saturday, I went out for my first 5k of the the year. Not many participates and no one ran! I paced the pack, beat the pack back. 49 minutes for a 57 year old overweight female, what parrelell univerise did I fall into! (no prizes, just a good feeling for the cause I was promoting)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    @Megan...like mentioned, there are quite a few C25K programs out there. I downloaded an app on my iPhone. Search lolo or Jeff Halloway if you have an iPhone. I've had pretty good luck with that app so far!
  • Panda307
    Panda307 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good luck :)
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Nice! We're all rooting for you and you are smart to allow plenty of time to train!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You will have a blast!! 5k races are lot of fun. Have a good time and enjoy it!
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi there... just entered my First one too... will run it in a week and a half... have been running for about two months... can run about a mile and a half. then walk for three minutes then run again... So looking forward to it. when i started running i could make it 50 seconds and stop.... so even if i have to walk a little i will be proud to make it... You are going to do amazing. lots of time to train. How fun. excited for you... Congrats. :)
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I really would like to run in a 5k. I have no idea where to start though! any advise to help get started would be appreciated!

^^^^ This.
  • chelsearosess
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For those who want advice on how to get started: I started a Couch to 5K app about a year ago, and have been doing it on and off (not very consistently). When I started, I could hardly even run for 30 seconds straight. Now I'm up to around 20 minutes. It really is an amazing app. The one I have is called "Get Running," and there is a pleasant voice throughout each run that tells you when to start running and walking. It is also great because you can listen to your music at the same time, and the app will automatically decrease the volume of your music when the voice on the app starts talking. I really recommend this app (and there are probably others like it that are good, too!). If you don't have a phone that is compatible with the app, you can also use this website and time yourself: http://www.c25k.com/

Honestly, I never in my life thought I would be able to run a mile. It's amazing what your body can do when you push it!
  • chelsearosess
    Options
    Also, just because I started this thing a year ago does NOT mean it will take you a year to get to this point. This is just the result of my inconsistency with training. The program is about 9 weeks long, give or take a couple of weeks depending on your own abilities!
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I'm running 7 races this summer including a 10K and an 8K. The rest are all 5Ks, feel free to add me if you like!
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just registered this morning for my first 5k!! It's in 6wks and I know I will end up walking about half of it but that's ok with me. I now have extra motivation to work on my running and to improve. Anything that allows me to set non scale related goals is good in my books. Happy Running :)
  • wwest21
    wwest21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try the C25K program for the longest time. I can barely run a minute without getting winded. I really want to run a 5K this summer.

Forgot to add that its great you have set a goal for yourself! The support here is amazing.
  • ashleykenny8
    ashleykenny8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • Aakani
    Aakani Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Last spring was when I first tried the Couch to 5k program and I was really out of shape and was never exercising. I was very spotty in actually working out until August when I just snapped and started getting serious. I did some Couch to 5k stuff along with weights and Zumba. Interval running is very useful and the most important thing about running is that unless you are physically hurting, ignore the urges to stop. I am doing a 5k in early May and I have been training-running 5k three times a week!

It really isn't as hard as it seems-just keep running! Plus music definitely helps ("I'll keep running until the end of this song." "That song ended pretty quick, I can do one more song.").
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just signed up for my first 5K as well. I am doing it next month. A little scary, since right now I am only getting to the point of running one mile without stopping to walk. So I have 4 weeks to kick it in gear and get ready!
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Step one: Get dressed
    Step two: go outside
    Step three: place one foot in front of the other
    Step four: repeat step three in rapid succesion until desired distance has been reached
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!