Eating back earned calories? Confused....

Options
2»

Replies

• lippygidg
    lippygidg Posts: 67 Member
    Options
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    What you really should do is figure out your TDEE and subtract 20% from it. That number should be pretty damn close to what the MFP setting is with eating your exercise calories back...for example...if your TDEE - 20 % = 1750 and your MFP setting is say 1345 and you burn say 375 calories that would = 1720 calories consumed...pretty damn close to the TDEE -20% method. Healthy way to loose weight :)
  • mreardon614
    Options
    Like MFP says when you complete your day, if you don't eat at least 1200 calories your body can go into starvation mode and you will store fat rather than lose fat. I found that eating the 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise calories then I didn't have enough energy to exercise, and I was too tired. I think of the exercise calories as calories that I have earned, and I eagerly eat them back.
  • planomania
    Options
    Well, I'm sitting all morning in classes. Then I only work a few hours per day, but I'm standing or walking for all of that time. I do Insanity everyday and usually burn 300-500 calories with that. I also do some strength training (Pilates).
    So.....you think I should bump it up to "lightly active"?
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Aww man, thanks so much. I've been netting around 1000 cal/day and of course I'm always hungry. Well, I guess I'll go have a nice dinner since I have about 600 cal left for today.

But for my other question: should I set my activity level higher since I'm doing Insanity or leave it at sedentary?

If your doing insanity...Yep up it...to at least lightly.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    A big "THANK YOU" to all who took the time to reply!

Dee :wink:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Like MFP says when you complete your day, if you don't eat at least 1200 calories your body can go into starvation mode and you will store fat rather than lose fat. I found that eating the 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise calories then I didn't have enough energy to exercise, and I was too tired. I think of the exercise calories as calories that I have earned, and I eagerly eat them back.

there is no such thing as starvation mode
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's settings, you should eat back your exercise calories; MFP already sets you up with a deficit depending on your goals.

If you're at sedentary, you should DEFINITELY eat back your exercise calories, as having a net calorie intake under 1200 is very likely to play merry hell with your body, as well as strip away muscle as the body tries to feed its organs.

QFT! :flowerforyou: