Article about how women should not run

Options
Hello!

Are there any trainers out there who could weigh in on this crazy article I just read about how running will make you GAIN fat and not lose weight! http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

I have recently started running and plan to do my first 5 km run in May. I have done a 1/2 marathon before but i walked it. This is the first time I'm attempting to run, so I'm starting small. After the 5 k I plan to try 10 km and eventually work my way up to doing a 1/2 and maybe a full. I have lost 17 pounds since January using myfitnesspal.com and running. I wonder how much (if any) of this article is true because I did notice that when i first started running I did seem to be gaining weight instead of losing weight even though i was watching my diet. And no it couldn't have been muscle weight because I don't think you can gain that much muscle that quickly. Any thoughts on this article? Silly? Crazy? Think it has any merit?

Would love to read all/any thoughts everyone might have.

Cheers!

Replies

• socialkombat
    Options
    Hi there,

Honestly in my own experience, there is definitely anecdotal evidence that when women run (but do no other form of exercise), they will gain, and this is mostly because your body needs a lot of fuel when you're running, we tend to overestimate what we've burned, and then we take in too many calories. Also, I do agree that weight loss from running is likely to be some muscle loss. But all that having been said, stop running? no way! I love racing way too much. Now I definitely mix running in with other cross training, weights, yoga, so that my body is going other things. I also try not to overdo it on the running. I'm training for a half and generally, I run three times a week. That's it.

Also, this article made me think of all the elite female runners I know, or have seen on TV or whatever and um, yeah... they're not fat. So, like all other articles about fitness and weight loss, I'd take this one with a grain of salt. The best workout and diet regimen is the one that works for you and keeps you healthy and feeling good!

Have fun,
    Lisa
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I had no trouble losing weight when I was running lower mileage and training for a half marathon. Now that I've jumped up to marathon training, I am having a very hard time losing any weight. I am usually very, very hungry for a couple of days after my longer runs and I end up eating more just to feel "normal" again. I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't really made much progress toward my weight goal since January.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd say it all depends on how hard you're running. When I was jogging 5mph for 30 mins 5x a week I was definitely losing weight. I got shin splints so I switched to walking on an incline and didn't lose a pound in 3 weeks. Needless to say, I'm back to running!! I found that if I keep it to a moderate pace for a longer amount of time I don't get too ravenous and my shins don't hurt.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I plateaued when I focused on my 1/2 marathon training. I had been loosing for about a year at that point doing zumba, zumba toning (with light weights), hiking and some circuit weight training. I reduced those activities (still doing them on my 'down' days) and started to run. I was so so so so sooooo much hungrier. I think over that 3-4 months I only lost maybe 5 lbs. I still run but not as much, I do more weight training, still doing hiking/zumba. I am losing better doing this and watching my macros, and by body is looking more firm.

That being said I am going to run again, I still have a princess 1/2 marathon to do!!! (Last one was tinkerbell 1/2!)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The article has 80 references; I would surmise that each is as long as this article and has a lot of other bits that the article writer has conveniently skipped over.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    This has been everywhere today for some reason. There are a few nuggets of truth in there, mixed with a whole bunch of sensationalist BS to up the pageviews.

2+ hours of stead state cardio a day? That's not good for you. 20 hours a week of cardio?

tumblr_m70dzdE3pV1rsc2xho1_500.jpg

even hard core marathon runners don't do that. Maybe ultra runners will, but only when ramping up to a race. Only one of my runs per week is steady state, or over an hour, and strength training is still incredibly important. All I have is anecdotal evidence of thyroid in runners, but...I know a lot of distance runners, and not one of them has thyroid problems. I would say I don't lose weight during marathon training, but that is because I'm trying to fuel myself, so I don't eat at a deficit.

Also, don't get me started on why the whole 'we aren't made to run that much' argument is wrong wrong wrong. .
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and sharing your thoughts. I agree you need to stick with whatever works for you and do what you enjoy and keeps you active. I definitely will continue running. I'm only running 3x per week now and am dying to get back in to weight training. I stopped going to the gym when I went on maternity leave but would like to get back to it now that the baby has a regular sleep schedule and doesn't need me home at night for feedings anymore once she's down for the night. I love how weights can shape your body but I also love cardio. Especially with good music. : ). I think I will get back to the gym and try to do 30 minutes of cardio max and focus on strength training. Plus walking the of daily.
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oops walking the dog daily.