Drinking a Gallon of Water a Day...does it really matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it matters. I don't like to see my urine color dark yellow and smells. Has to be clear. That's why I drink quite a bit of water throughout the day (despite having to use the bathroom quite a bit, but so be it).
  • diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 156 pounds from my heaviest and am embarrassed to say that I drink VERY little water. Like ever. I know I need to work on that, I just don't think of it, am rarely thirsty - so I don't drink it. I usually drink about one small water bottle per day in the evening before bed. If I am off work and running errands or outside in the heat I will drink more.

The exception to this is that I LOVE to workout- and I will drink about 16-24oz of water towards the end and at the end of a workout. This is about 5-6 times per week. Apart from working out though I can go all day without it. And often times do. It obviously hasn't affected my weight loss but I do think I should drink more water. I also am obviously getting liquid from foods etc because I sweat like a man. Probably worse. Like puddles. My clothes are drenched like I jumped in a pool after a long run or boxing workout- so I'm obviously getting hydrated somehow...
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i drink between half a gallon and a gallon a day. i am on a vegan diet, which means lots of fiber, and the water helps with digestion. drinking water also keeps me from reaching for a snack. i used to drink three sodas a day... now i drink water or tea instead.

it does help with my skin, hair, and nails, and i get extra exercise when i get up to empty my bladder every hour or so!
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I drink at least a gallon throughout the day. I typically sweat profusely while working out and I do a bit of extra cardio before bed so the total amount of sweat is in the ridiculous range for me. If you workout hard enough to find yourself literally pouring sweat then I would imagine a gallon at a minimum is playing it safe.

That said (don't you hate it when people start a sentence with "that said"?) lots of people wander around gyms while hanging on to a gallon of water that they won't even finish and since they don't ever seem to sweat I often wonder what the point is. Don't walk around with a gallon of water as a fashion statement; at least drink the damned thing! I never walk around with a full gallon (I carry a big 30 once mini jug) since I don't plan on drinking a full gallon at once.
  • Itzmeee
    Itzmeee Posts: 1
    Options
    I couldn't agree more, I drink about 6 to 8 ounce cups of water daily and often a bit more when I exercise to keep from dehydrating, I feel great and I'm continuing to lose about 1 to 2 lbs per week...
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Opinions are like empennages, we all have one. You have to do what works for you. I was drinking 8 cups of water per day and not losing weight. I began drinking 1/2 my weight lbs/oz of water and the weight loss is averaging just over 3 lbs/week. I go hunting in the New Mexico Desert every year in temps 80-100+ degrees F.,and my personal experience is contrary to what some experts say. I found that if I waited until thirsty before drinking water, as some experts advise, it was too late and I could not catch up. I became very fatigued very fast. I start drinking water as soon as I wake up. Then try to stay hydrated all day long. I drink more when it is hot, dry or doing heavy work. Less sitting @ the computer in an air conditioned room. Talk to your family doctor, he or she knows more about you than any of us. People really have died from drinking too much water too fast.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    makes me feel full so I am not eating something all the time and its better than drinking your calories. You dont have all the sugar and artificial flavors so it has to be healthier.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Personally for me. I'm finding its keeping a lot of my hunger at bay. I have to agree with a lot of the others on here. It depends on personal preference and general thrist. Hope this helps and good luck :)
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I drink a minimum of 64 oz a day. I am cutting out diet pop ( well my daily pop, I will have on occasion still )and it fills that sipping I always did before. I love water though. Always have :-)
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I can only say I've done a lot of reading on the subject myself, and I've commented many times about how important I think it is to drink plenty of water. The reference you made to drinking half your weight in ounces of water per day, could have been written by me, because that's what I always say.

Of course, that amount of water also does include the water that might be in your food daily, so, just getting in the range is about right. I know I weigh 200lbs now, so I should be drinking 100oz of water per day. Me, I carry a 40oz water bottle, and easily drink 3 of those per day, breaking 120oz of water, plus what's in my food.

As a general rule, if your urine is clear (or nearly clear) when you pee, you're probably fine. If it's more like watered-down apple juice or darker, or if it has a scent to it, if you can smell it when you go, you probably aren't drinking enough. If it's clear, or just about, you're probably good.

These are my guidelines. I did a lot of research on hypo- and hyper-nutremia a few years ago. I talked with a doctor-friend of mine who has also had laproscopic RNY, and she's satisfied with my approach as being healthy and appropriate.

Do your own research, talk to your doctor, and make up your own mind. What I am describing is only what I've decided is right for me.

I think my results speak for themselves.

-BootJockey
    -250lbs.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

A good guide to tell if the body’s finely tuned fluid balance is to check the colour of your urine. If it's very dark, you're on the dry side; if it's very light or translucent, then you need to drink a bit less water, said Dr. David Price, head of family medicine at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont.

What about those that are color blind?:tongue:
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i love drinking water i feel it helps my joints hurt less
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don’t have a scientific answer, but water is good for the body. Not sure the exact amount a person needs. I drink about 6-8 cups most days, most days that’s the only pure liquid I have. Just started since LSC, before I would go days without drinking “just water”.
  • As long as your doctor says your sodium levels are normal, you can drink whatever you want, however much you want.