At least it clicked before I turned 40

Options
Brief history:

I've always been fat. Well, always, being since high school. (Funny how when growing up and I thought I was fat, but was actually skinny) I actually stayed within a 10 pound range for decades. I lost weight once because I had mono and was a poor college student, then again when I had my son. But it came back and it was fine. I wasn't really dieting.

Family history on my father's side of heart disease and diabetes. All of my great aunts and uncles, great grandparents and my father died very young because of these complications. My father was a diabetic and had high blood pressure and didn't treat it but wasn't horribly obese.

Fast forward to a month ago. I hate doctors but was convinced to get a physical. Blood work came back as "pre-diabetic". That was enough to scare the hell out of me. Now I'm eating 1,000 times better. Minimal sweets (if I eat them rarely it is a tiny amount), only whole grains, no refined flours, no red meat. I track my calories and am getting 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. Probably the biggest change is the mental one. Food is simply not a big deal anymore. I feel it's either eat crappy food and die or make a few simple changes, eat what I want in small amounts once in awhile and hopefully live to see my grandchildren.

I have a LOT to lose, so I'll be here for awhile. I'm just at the beginning of my journey but am 100% confident that it simply has to happen this time. It's just not an option anymore.

See ya around!

Jenn

Replies

• donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    keep yourself surrounded with positive people.. friend req me and allow me to see your meals I can help direct you.. I was a size 14/16 and now size 4.. been there done that :)
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hit the same point January 1st. Just to encourage you, January 17 my bloodwork came back in the pre-diabetic range. Just had blood drawn again last week (April 10) and I am no longer pre-diabetic!! I've lost 30 pounds to date. You will do this!!!
  • nvstlrgrl
    nvstlrgrl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I lost both of my parents at early ages (48 & 63) to diabetes and their complications. I am a diabetic myself and became very ill in January. I made the leap not wanting to end up like my parents. I too have turned to clean eating and exercise. Feel free to add me as a friend as I understand the struggles both mentally and physically. We can beat the odds one day at a time :)
  • mompom1114
    Options
    Thanks so much for the kind words of encouragement.

Right now, I'm just trying to make basic changes to my diet. No red meat, eating every few hours, no refined foods, no more than 40 carbs per meal and 15 per snack, lots of whole grains, fruit and veggies. I know at some point when things slow down I'll need to really become OCD about the meal plans but for right now, I need to make changes that I know I can live with and that suit my lifestyle. Otherwise, it will never be successful.

I look forward to hearing all of your successes!

Jenn
  • GottaHavePav
    GottaHavePav Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Go get 'em Jenn! I'm glad you had a wake-up call at the doctor's office. I realized once while waiting for my car to be fixed that I treat my car better than I treat myself. I'm not gonna do that anymore.