When Can I Increase Weights?

Just wondering how often people increase their weight they're lifting. I can't seem to increase anything for at least 3 weeks. Im currently doing:

Deads 80lbs
OHP 60lbs
Rows 60lbs.

triceps 25lbs behind head, biceps 2*10lb on bicep table. All 5 sets with 5 reps expect bis are 3*10. I want to be able to make all of them heavier but I don't think I can handle it. Especially the OHP and tricepts!!!!

What advice do yas have? Thanks

Replies

• Are you eating at a calorie deficit?
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    I've found that the rate of increasing weights on upper body exercises tends to go slower than lower body. So it makes sense that your OHP (these are hard!) and triceps exercises may take a couple weeks before you can increase them. It would be great if you could increase them by a small amount (like say 0.5 lbs) each time. I know they sell magnet weights that you can attach to your dumbbells and barbells. Check this website: http://www.paceweights.com.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    I increase my weight every time I can complete my goal set/reps with good form. When I work with women I have them do the same. Usually this results in an increase at least once a week or so (I do a split workout, A and B...which results in doing two of each workout on alternate weeks).

If you can't increase, take a look at how much you're eating. If it's a large deficit, you may have simply plateaued, your TDEE and resulting 500cal average deficit from your profile might not be taking into consideration what you're doing in exercise and other activities. If it's not that, take a look at your form (you should always be looking at your form regardless!). Sometimes if you're mechanically fighting yourself, your weights won't increase...but usually that's only certain lifts.

In all honesty though (from some of what you said in your post), I think this is likely a mental thing rather than a physical one. Increase your weight! If you can't complete your sets with it, deload partway through back to your old weight, or whatever lets you finish your sets. This is how we get stronger.

The weights will ALWAYS try to intimidate you.

Don't let them :).
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I try to increase every single time I go to train...but sometimes I cannot so I will either (1) do that weight until I can increase it at the same number or reps or (2) increase anyway and drop the number of reps (I usually do this one unless I am really having a hard time with a specific weight).

I have some nerve damage that resulted in massive strength loss in my dominant arm and grip - so it causes me trouble on some lifts like the overhead press.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I start to increase the weight when 6-8 rep range starts to feel too light...

you should be trying to increase reps or weight every week ...even if it is just one more rep in a set or 5 more pounds on the bar...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I tried to advance every week if possible. Go for smaller increases if you have to. You should always be able to add 5 pounds to most major lifts. Your body can barely tell the difference. Most of it is mental. I'm pretty sure your back, hips, and thighs can support 20 more pounds on your deadlift. A lot of times it's a matter of really going for it.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Are you eating at a calorie deficit?

YES I am!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member

YES I am!

Try to keep your deficit about 300 if you are heavy lifting. You don't want fatigue to be your problem.
  • BarbaraCarr1981

YES I am!

Try to keep your deficit about 300 if you are heavy lifting. You don't want fatigue to be your problem.

I believe my deficit is around 300ish. My TDEE is 2048 and Im eating 1700cals - somedays a little more (not over 1800 though)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    I increase my weight every time I can complete my goal set/reps with good form. When I work with women I have them do the same. Usually this results in an increase at least once a week or so (I do a split workout, A and B...which results in doing two of each workout on alternate weeks).

If you can't increase, take a look at how much you're eating. If it's a large deficit, you may have simply plateaued, your TDEE and resulting 500cal average deficit from your profile might not be taking into consideration what you're doing in exercise and other activities. If it's not that, take a look at your form (you should always be looking at your form regardless!). Sometimes if you're mechanically fighting yourself, your weights won't increase...but usually that's only certain lifts.

In all honesty though (from some of what you said in your post), I think this is likely a mental thing rather than a physical one. Increase your weight! If you can't complete your sets with it, deload partway through back to your old weight, or whatever lets you finish your sets. This is how we get stronger.

^^^ this ^^^

Quality before quantity... you will see better results if you maintain good form and mechanics. The strength will come. Be patient. It's not a fast process and it is different for everyone. Some people gain strength very quickly, some don't. When you begin to finish your rep range with ease it's time to increase by 5-10 pounds. Don;t be ashamed if you have to decrease during a set. Better to finish all reps with good form than throw around the weight and risk an injury.
  • I increase my squat and deadlift by 7.5 pounds per week and my ohp by 3 pounds per week.

Since you eat at a deficit then something like 5 pounds per week on the deadlift and 2 pounds per week on the ohp is probably more reasonable. Maybe less? I would probably try 2.5 per week on the deadlift and 1 per week on the ohp.

Your deadlift vs ohp numbers are very strange. Deadlift is low and ohp is high. Men usually deadlift more than double what they ohp. For women I think the difference would be even larger because they have relatively less upper body strength.
  • crisanderson27
    Your deadlift vs ohp numbers are very strange. Deadlift is low and ohp is high. Men usually deadlift more than double what they ohp. For women I think the difference would be even larger because they have relatively less upper body strength.

I think her deadlift numbers are low for the rest of her numbers as well...but I didn't comment because it wasn't the main topic. Holding 60lbs up over your head, when you can't deadlift 80lbs...doesn't seem logical.

Maybe it's a typo?
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    I increase my weight when I am easily doing 10-12 sets of a weight. I want to struggle on the last 3 or 4 when I'm on 2nd & 3rd set.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Damn! This answer is awesome. Disregard my previous answer and just reread this.

Twice
  • BarbaraCarr1981

I think her deadlift numbers are low for the rest of her numbers as well...but I didn't comment because it wasn't the main topic. Holding 60lbs up over your head, when you can't deadlift 80lbs...doesn't seem logical.

Maybe it's a typo?
    Yes I can deadlift 80lbs and yes I can increase this one for sure next time. Gonna increase to 100lbs. Maybe 90lbs. Maybe Im able to OHP 60lbs because I use my legs and move my feet to get it up and over - I don't keep my feet stuck to the floor at all times when doing OHP - am I supposed to?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

Maybe it's a typo?
    Yes I can deadlift 80lbs and yes I can increase this one for sure next time. Gonna increase to 100lbs. Maybe 90lbs. Maybe Im able to OHP 60lbs because I use my legs and move my feet to get it up and over - I don't keep my feet stuck to the floor at all times when doing OHP - am I supposed to?

A strict OHP relies on not moving your feet, unlocking your knees, nothing. Lower body remains still and stable. Only thing moving is basically from your armpits up.

If you're using your legs to help you out, that's a push press. You'll be able to do a lot more weight that way.

Regardless, when you say you can't increase your weights because you don't think you can do it, how do you know until you try? Not thinking you can do it is the first obstacle. Assume you can do it, and go for it. I fail all the damn time (and surprise myself more often than not).
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Okay, so im doing a push press. Guess i will lower the weigh for now and do an actual OHP. And i only have so many weights i can work with so i will increase by 5 lbs in two weeks. ****! But then the bar will be uneven weight!!!! Does that matter?
  • crisanderson27
    Okay, so im doing a push press. Guess i will lower the weigh for now and do an actual OHP. And i only have so many weights i can work with so i will increase by 5 lbs in two weeks. ****! But then the bar will be uneven weight!!!! Does that matter?

Ok...I need to ask a couple questions...]

First, are you working out at home?

Second, have you read any literature on the lifts you're doing? Or researched them online?

Also, please don't unevenly load the bar. Your body will compensate only so far, and when it stops you'll end up injured. Not to mention the compensation itself (taken over time) can lead to an uneven physique, which I'm sure you don't want.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Yep, working out at home. Got my program from Stronglifts. I youtube the lifts to see how to do them. And that's what I thought about the weight - GOTTA BE EVEN. So that said, I will have to increase by 10lbs at a time. 5lbs are my lowest weights i have.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    I also do Stronglifts, but I don't follow it to the letter. I do the workouts as planned (A: squat, bench, row, B: squat, OHP, deadlift) but I don't increase weight every time I complete a 5x5. I concentrate more on form than increases. If I'm able to do 5x5 with good form, the next time I do the same weight, but I do 5x8. If I do that with good form, the next time I do same weight 5x10. If I do the 5x10 with good form, the next time I increase the weight. I do 5lb increases on squats and deadlifts and 2.5lb increases on bench and OHP. Smaller pound weights are really not that expensive, and I highly recommend getting at least one sent of 2.5's and one set of 1.25's. 10lbs is a lot to increase at a time, especially for OHP and bench.