Coffee creamer

Options
Im going to cut back on the creamer and start tomorrow with plain black coffee and some sort of sweetner. I drink about 2 cups a day sometimes 3 WITH creamer. If i stop the creamer, will this help with weightloss? Because honestly my workout routine is fine, i workout 5-6 days a week & burn anywhere from 600-800 cals. I also eat fairly healthy. I really think its the creamer doing it....any opinons/suggestions?

Replies

• n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    instead of creamer, use some skim milk and a little vanilla protein.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do I think coffee creamer is hindering your weight loss? No. At least it's very unlikely.

Are there other options? Yes.

I drink 24-oz of coffee every morning. I add no sweeteners. Just milk or very rarely real cream if we have it. I usually use a 1/2 of a cup of milk for every 12-oz of coffee. I've used skim, 2% and whole. All are fine and none have stopped me from losing weight.

I think you would have to use massive amounts of coffee creamer for it to stop your weight loss.
  • bookstitch
    bookstitch Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is something I keep telling myself too. And I don't mind black coffee. Or only allow myself to use creamer and sugar on the weekends, and drink black on the week days. I eat 1200 calories a day and I exercise at least 4 times a week. And no starches for dinner and on, so I think reducing the creamer intake may help for me. A doctor did tell me to check for the saturated fat in creamer and use than as a judgement call, but the creamer I use doesn't have any saturated fat.
    I just checked out your profile, I weigh 155 right now, 159 being my highest. I want to be in the 130s as well, but keep my curves. I'll add you and we can help motivate each other and see what else we can deduct from our diets to help drop the pounds.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    No one could make me drink coffee without creamer. I don't think it has that much of an effect on weightloss, as long as you don't overdo it. I have three tbsps of creamer in my coffee. Then again, my coffee cup is the equivalent of two cups of coffee.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How much creamer? How many calories are in the creamer? Do you really think that the creamer alone is enough calories to take you from a deficit to a surplus?

However, I put 2% milk in my coffee most of the time.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, people can tell you exactly what might hinder your weight loss, if anything. Creamer is definitely not going to ruin it for you; I assure you.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Im going to cut back on the creamer and start tomorrow with plain black coffee and some sort of sweetner. I drink about 2 cups a day sometimes 3 WITH creamer. If i stop the creamer, will this help with weightloss? Because honestly my workout routine is fine, i workout 5-6 days a week & burn anywhere from 600-800 cals. I also eat fairly healthy. I really think its the creamer doing it....any opinons/suggestions?

I drink one mug of coffee a day with 2 tablespoons of 18% cream. Delicious, and I've lost 32 lbs so far. Best 70 calories of my day.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    No one could make me drink coffee without creamer. I don't think it has that much of an effect on weightloss, as long as you don't overdo it. I have three tbsps of creamer in my coffee. Then again, my coffee cup is the equivalent of two cups of coffee.

My small coffee cup is 2 cups....I like coffee.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    YEs black coffee plain is like 2 calories for 8 oz
  • MooseAtoZ
    MooseAtoZ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I prefer coconut milk if I'm going to creamify my coffee. And agave nectar to sweeten. It's zero-glycemic, if you're worried about the ol' blood sugar.
  • cathybabe70
    cathybabe70 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use fat free Mocha Mix and sugar free Torani Syrups in my coffee. It only adds about 30 calories and tastes fantastic!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm not generally a fan of Splenda, but since I typically have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, I switched to sweetening my coffee with it, and adding one Mini-Moo Land O Lake half and half creamer instead of regular cream. Yummy coffee still, and every cup went from 90 calories to 12.
  • Ang_from_Colorado
    Ang_from_Colorado Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I switched to vanilla flavored almond milk and it's great! Lower in cals too I believe
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I used to always, always put french vanilla creamer in my coffee and couldn't imagine it without...now, it's either almond milk or raw sugar and a scoop of coffee mate. Almost tastes like a large double double to me (all in the head :laugh: )
  • Shannon_H
    Shannon_H Posts: 35
    Options
    I will never give up my creamer! You would have to pry it from my sweaty little hands! :drinker:
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I will never give up my creamer! You would have to pry it from my sweaty little hands! :drinker:

I agree, creamer is my one indulgence that I allow myself every day. I like the chocolate ones specifically and try to limit myself to one cup. However, it's been snowing every day and cold so more coffee is needed. :drinker:
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food and exercise diary its hard to say whats happening. But YES,it is plausible that coffee creamer is hindering your efforts if you're not allotting for it or underestimating the amount in you daily caloric goal.

What i can tell you is that i use a vanilla creamer in my coffee every day. I use about 6 tbsp which sounds like alot but in 24-30 oz of coffee it really is not. I allot for the 35 calories/tbsp.. Yes that was 35 calories per tablespoon... Multiple that by 6x35= 210 calories (the coffee without creamer has negligible calories, almost none.) I drink that same cup of coffee 7 days a week, 7x210=1470 calories in a week just for creamer. If i did this 3 times a day, like you say you do, that would bring my weekly total to 4,410 calories a week in just creamer... it takes 3500 calories to loose and/or gain a pound. If you didn't allot for those calories, or underestimated them it will certainly affect your weight loss!

I have attempted to reduce the amount of creamer I use, but i just like this vanilla creamer in my coffee. Its one of my indulgences.. Thus, i fit it into my daily caloric goal. Before i decided to measure out my creamer, i thought i used half the amount i actually used. It was an eye opener!
    But again without seeing your food and exercise diary i ant really make any additional comments.
  • healthy_jessx3
    healthy_jessx3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not generally a fan of Splenda, but since I typically have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, I switched to sweetening my coffee with it, and adding one Mini-Moo Land O Lake half and half creamer instead of regular cream. Yummy coffee still, and every cup went from 90 calories to 12.

is the mini moo cup creamer in stores?
  • healthy_jessx3
    healthy_jessx3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    yes i think i underestimate how much creamer i actually use...for one i dont meausre out my creamer. and two yes it could stop my weightloss (or i believe it could) because that is alot of sugar. If i cant stop it without i may add like a tsp ot tbl or creamer. we will see
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump