Why we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves...

Options
coe28
coe28 Posts: 715 Member
Definitely worth three minutes of your time....

http://www.wimp.com/forensicartist/

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I know it was a great commercial for "DOVE", but the message in the commercial is SO TRUE. The way we view ourselves, compared to how others see us is eye opening. Here it showed the good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Blocked here at my office. But still, I don't think anything could make me be less hard on myself. The very few people that saw my progress pic from last night seemed to think it was great, but I can't see past the fact that I don't have defined abs lol. It's just our nature to want to be better, I guess.
  • coe28
    Options
    Blocked here at my office. But still, I don't think anything could make me be less hard on myself. The very few people that saw my progress pic from last night seemed to think it was great, but I can't see past the fact that I don't have defined abs lol. It's just our nature to want to be better, I guess.

Basically...the video is about a forensic artist that had women he couldn't see describe themselves for him to draw. He then had other people describe the same women and drew them according to their discription as well. The drawings of how the women described themselves were much uglier than what other people described and the women were all shocked at how much more appealing other people saw them, when they didn't see it in themselves. It just shows that we don't give ourselves enough credit even though other people do...
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It sounds wonderful. I am guilty of this too. I can't stream video at work without network security coming into call center but will check it out when I get home. Thanks for the mental motivation coe28! :)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Saw this at home last night. It was an eye opener. Most women do underestimate their beauty. However, I'm pretty pragmatic about my appearance. I'm ugly and I know it. A guy in high school once told me "trade your face for my *kitten*". Not fishing for assurance - just saying that some people know they won't win any beauty contests while others don't know...
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That was awesome. Thank you for sharing.
  • coe28
    Options
    You're very welcome. It was an eye-opener for me as well, kind of a "wow" moment. I'm definitely guilty of this too...
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful video. Thank you for this, my day just got brighter.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    :)
  • tems78
    tems78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lovely video. Thanks for sharing.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Bump. that is absolutely great
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump because I can't view it here at work and because I don't want to get emotional while sitting at my desk. This sounds guaranteed to make me misty-eyed like a dang baby.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    bump for a later watch, because I can't at work :(
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    Wow. Watched it and I have tears.
  • andii4
    andii4 Posts: 23
    Options
    That was eye opening. I could feel the emotion from the women at how shocked they were at the results. Thanks for sharing.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Can not wait to watch this later! I know I am harder on myself than I should be, I have actually asked people if I really look like my pictures, how much worse I look in person because I just KNOW I must... It is unreal how much confidence I LOST when I lost my weight, and you think it would be the opposite. That is what I am working on now, not judging myself so much.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A very inspiring and eye-opening video. I actually saw this on youtube yesterday, and I scrolled down to the comments section, expecting to see reactions much like those seen here. It really saddened me -it was mostly filled with lots of arguments about how we shouldn't care about beauty anyway, claims that the forensic artist intentionally made the second image look better, how they should have taken legitimately "ugly" people to do this, and a bunch of other excuses to explain what happened other than the simple fact that we should feel more positively about ourselves. It's sad that we see ourselves this way - and even sadder that some people feel the need to go to every extreme to deny that it is a problem that impacts our lives. Should beauty and appearances be as important as they are? No, and almost anyone will tell you in abstract terms that "personality is more important than beauty." But there really is no denying that beauty is important to us - we all are judgmental people. We make conclusions and come to decisions often based on what our eyes see. Our own confidence is based on how we feel others perceive us to be, from the outside in. We're human and that's how we are. But thanks to all you lovely MFP people who can appreciate this video - it really is a refreshing contrast to the comments I saw yesterday.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Saw this at home last night. It was an eye opener. Most women do underestimate their beauty. However, I'm pretty pragmatic about my appearance. I'm ugly and I know it. A guy in high school once told me "trade your face for my *kitten*". Not fishing for assurance - just saying that some people know they won't win any beauty contests while others don't know...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your blue fur is very fetching. ;)