Just recently diagnoised with Diabetes

Options
Hello First of all I'm glad I was directed to MFP. Almost 2 weeks ago I was diagnoised with boarder line diabetes, but like my doctor says either you are a diabetic or your not.

I've had a hard time wrapping my head around the things a diabetic should or should not eat, and this is after both my grandparents-father and my husband have been diagnoised. I've cut my sugars to splenda, I use only whole wheat bread (in huge moderation), my pasta I use low carb or whole wheat, I use regular butter for cooking and for like for example toast or corn on the cob I use I can't believe it's not butter.

So MFP has helped me with cutting my calorie intake, but if I go over a tad bit I don't get hard on my self. So far to date in just 10 days I've lost 10 lbs. I'm so glad, but tomarrow is going to be tough being that it's Super Bowl and alot of appetizers are in the menu and then hubby wants a seafood dinner. I'm going to need huge will power to refrain.:smile:

36347549.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hello First of all I'm glad I was directed to MFP. Almost 2 weeks ago I was diagnoised with boarder line diabetes, but like my doctor says either you are a diabetic or your not.

I've had a hard time wrapping my head around the things a diabetic should or should not eat, and this is after both my grandparents-father and my husband have been diagnoised. I've cut my sugars to splenda, I use only whole wheat bread (in huge moderation), my pasta I use low carb or whole wheat, I use regular butter for cooking and for like for example toast or corn on the cob I use I can't believe it's not butter.

So MFP has helped me with cutting my calorie intake, but if I go over a tad bit I don't get hard on my self. So far to date in just 10 days I've lost 10 lbs. I'm so glad, but tomarrow is going to be tough being that it's Super Bowl and alot of appetizers are in the menu and then hubby wants a seafood dinner. I'm going to need huge will power to refrain.:smile:

36347549.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

OK so not to be mean but considering you are on here, it means that you have Type 2. What it means is you need to lose weight, period. It is a hard pill to swallow but it is the truth. My mom was diagnosed about 20 years ago and she has never gotten it under control. You do not want to be the person who injects insulin twice a day and could lose limbs.

Coming on here is an amazing decision. I am hypoglycemic and on my way to diabetes if not careful.....This website is amazing just be open to everyone's comments. Track everything you eat (without lying to yoursef) and you will be amazed at the results. Do some research on foods and how they react. Stay away from simple carbs. Please feel free to add me if you feel like it. I understand the fears
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Sent you an invite. I am a type 2 diabetic. I was boarder line since 1983 and then around 2009 I went to the diabetic 2 side. (I knew it would happen.. it is in my family on both sides). Yes weight does have a lot to do with it, but some people have it in genetics (like I do). I am losing weight and my eating healthier has got my diabetes under control. I do have times though with even eating healthy, my sugar will sky rocket big time. My doctor said not all diabetes 2 is food related and I have it both ways, genetic and food wise. There is also a group titled "Diabetic type 2" Go to the community tab at the top (far right), then just under that is smaller tabs, It is the second tab in and it says "Groups" You can do a search in the search box to the right or you can browse groups. Both will get you to that group. Lots of great advice on this group. One thing you will learn is having diabetes is a personal issue on what works and doesn't. It all takes trial and error. Some can eat fruits, while others can not, Same with oatmeal, pasta's etc. It will be through trial and error and testing your blood to see what spikes your BS's up and what doesn't. Good luck and if you need any help just message me :)
  • jiffer1975
    jiffer1975 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes but I just wanted to mention that I have been using a product for about a month now that I really love. This is not a sales pitch. It is called Almased. It is for weight loss but while I was researching it I have found that many of people with diabetes get a lot of help from it. The lady at the GNC store said it is flying off the shelves there and being purchased not for weight loss per say but to help regulate their blood sugar. I love it because it makes me feel great and it is a high protein meal
    replacement for when I am on the go. Best of luck to you!
  • Trastj
    Options
    Hi, I don't usually put anything on here, but I also just went to an apt learning how to better eat as my last blood work showed me at the top of the normal range and I want to prevent this. I've cut my calorie intake to between 1300-1400 since this past Tues (the day of the apt). I've lost 4 pounds so far. I also am not looking forward to tomorrow as I love football and all the finger foods that come along with it:(. I'm sure you and I both can make good choices though. I also have problems digesting fresh fruits and veges, so I'm trying to learn how to do things with that in mind. Thankfully I can eat small amts of spinach and fresh spinach (1cup is like 7 calories and no carbs.

I wish you lots of luck tomorrow and congrats on your loss of 10 pounds.
  • RobynMcGregor
    Options
    There are a lot of us out here who are borderline Type 2, in my case it is age and weight related but with the model of my grandmother who controlled hers through diet until the grand age of 97 I know it is up to me to do something about it hence me being here on MFP. My son on the other hand can do a certain amount through food and weight control but he also has a genetic predisposition to type 2 - my father in law has had it since he was 24. The one thing I have really noticed is that my body craves what is really bad for it. If I have low sugar, low GI, healthy foods I am fine but slip in a special treat like a biscuit or muffin and the cravings for more become almost as bad as when I gave up smoking many, many years ago.

It comes as a shock to many of us, just don't look back and say why didn't I? Focus on making from here on the best you can. Find what works for you and stick to it. You have made a fabulous start.

edited to add FinL has never been overweight and actively played competitive sports until in his 50's so I am guessing his was genetic as well
  • kirstie1926
    Options
    I don't have diabetes but I just wanted to mention that I have been using a product for about a month now that I really love. This is not a sales pitch. It is called Almased. It is for weight loss but while I was researching it I have found that many of people with diabetes get a lot of help from it. The lady at the GNC store said it is flying off the shelves there and being purchased not for weight loss per say but to help regulate their blood sugar. I love it because it makes me feel great and it is a high protein meal
    replacement for when I am on the go. Best of luck to you!

^^this!
    i drink an almased with half water half skim milk for every breakfast. i'm not a breakfast eater, so it gives me all the vitamins and nutrients i need without the guilt of calories. and i love the taste.