Salmon seasoning help

Options
So my wife and I are having some family over soon, and I wanted to make a dinner with Salmon and White Rice as the bases. Typically, I would back the salmon, throw in some steamed veggies--and then drown the whole thing in soy sauce.

I don't want to do that anymore, and I hate all the sodium I take in when I make it that way. I am not the greatest cook, especially when it comes to seafood. Aside from Soy Sauce and Lemon Pepper, I was wondering what zesty flavor combinations you all may have tried and enjoyed.

To be totally truthful, I don't even like seafood, but it is so good for me, I can't not eat it. I have a pretty well stocked spice rack, so hit me with whatever you got. :-)

Replies

• goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1. Easy:
    We like salmon with lime juice/slices and pinches of chilli.

2.Sounds odd but tastes really good:
    cubed and mixed with white fish (also cubed)
    mixed ttogether with: -chopped onion - chopped eating apple and a little greek yogurt.
    Bake this for about 20 mins at 200 (until fruit/veg are soft and fish cooked through)
    Serve with curried rice ( cooked in water and a few spoons of curry powder )
    can be topped with a few toasted nuts
    add raw carrot sticks on the side.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The always classic lemon and dill.

Chipotle powder and lime.

Equal parts brown or Dijon mustard and maple syrup for a glaze.

1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce, 1/3 brown sugar, 1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup. Really yummy! Makes enough to glaze about 5 fillets.
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I LUV TRUFFLE SALT
  • SexyDexie
    SexyDexie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love doing my salmon in Mojo sauce and grilling it. You can buy it or make it yourself (which I do). The homemade version uses olive oil and I marinade it overnight.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I put a light coating of olive oil on both sides and put in baking pan, then into a bowl, I finely chop
    Onion
    Garlic
    Carrot
    Red pepper
    Kalamata olives (if you like them)
    I also add:
    Olive oil
    Peas
    Salt/pepper
    Juice of 1 lime or lemon

Mix well in the bowl. Place fish in baking dish and cover with mixture.
    Bake in pre-heated oven at 400' for 20 minutes or more depending on size of
    fish. When knife goes through easily its done.
    This recipe can be used with any firm fleshed fish such as salmon, halibut
    or sword.
    It's delicious, nutritious and looks fancy for company!
    Serve with rice!
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    Whatever seasoning you use, you absolutely have to cover the baking pan in foil, put olive oil on the pieces of fish and bake on 350 for 20 minutes then broil it for 5-10. It will be soft, juicy and well-cooked.
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    How about just adding some mango salsa on top of the salmon? There are tons of recipes for mango salsa..it's light, refreshing and has a really nice presentation.
  • MeriLeMay
    MeriLeMay Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use low-fat zesty italian dressing or cajun seasoning for fish a lot. Along with lemon & dill.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Our simple go-to is olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and rosemary.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash and lemon juice
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Our simple go-to is olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and rosemary.

Exactly!

I also like plain old dill and lemon.

And cajun seasoning on salmon is great too.
  • beebop85
    beebop85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Garlic, lemon and dill.

http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2012/06/salmon-with-garlic-lemon-and-dill.html

You'll make the guests go oooooh aaaaah when you put lemon wheels on the fish like the above too.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Extra Virgin olive oil, paprika, pepper and just a touch of Old bay seasoning. ( Old Bay has 160mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp.) serve with a slice of lemon. :)
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I make a glaze with balsamic vinegar and honey, brush it on and bake.
  • Daisyfk
    Daisyfk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Easy Salmon seasoning and you'll love it ...seasons 4 pcs

One tablespoon light mayonnaise
    Two tablespoon sweet chili sauce
    One tablespoon ginger paste
    One tablespoon Worcestershire
    Half a lime

Mix all ingredients together except the lime. Squeeze lime on fish. Then brush your sauce over fish. Line a baking pan and have it ready for the next step. Now In a skillet Drizzle olive oil wait till it gets hot. Now you going to sear your fish. Once hot turn fire to med. place fish in pan turn fish after about a minute and do the same to the other side. Once you've quickly seared your fish you are going to place it on your lined baking pan . Place in oven for 15 to 20 min on boil and enjoy ...hope you like it

Blessings
    Daisy

• TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Grill it. Look for cedar planks at the kitchen store if you really want to make an impression. There will be recipe included, and the planks are reusable. It's a very impressive service.

We like to use McCormick GrillMates Smokehouse Maple seasoning. Just a bit gives a nice flavor to the fish.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    our fave is goat cheese spread over then covered in a sauce with greek yogurt and djion mustard, in the oven at 400 for 25 minutes. It is soooooooooooo good!
  • readyfortaipei
    readyfortaipei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a little mayo with pesto and freshly grated Parmesan cheese - keeps it very moist while it bakes and it's delicious. My family devours it.