Fats - what do I do wrong?

Options
poma91
poma91 Posts: 181 Member
Hi guys!

So I have this problem that almost everyday (not to say absolutely everyday) I go over my fat goal with around 10-15 grams!!!! For me that is OMG way too much. However my eating is relatively clean. My fats come from things like flax seeds, walnuts, olive oil 1-2(max) tsp a day, protein bars. I know that those are not "bad fats" but still.

Any suggestions?
Does any of you have the same problem?

Thanks!

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you're overly concerned then cut the walnuts and mayo. But your diary looks fine tbh, I wouldn't worry about it. Like you say, it's not like you're overloading it with saturated or hydrogenated fats.
  • poma91
    Options
    For the mayo I agree 100% but walnuts are supposed to be healthy and stuff :D
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What's your fat goal to start with? What's making you think it's OMG way too much? Is the amount of fat you're getting preventing you from getting enough of other nutrients? Do you have a medical reason to limit fats?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If it's not getting in the way of your protein intake I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • poma91
    Options
    What's your fat goal to start with? What's making you think it's OMG way too much? Is the amount of fat you're getting preventing you from getting enough of other nutrients? Do you have a medical reason to limit fats?

My fat goal is 44 grams/day. And when I go over 15 grams it is like 1/3 more so that's why I think it is too much. Besides I try to limit fats as much as possible, which is challenging considering I was eating only junk food 3 months ago. At the moment my diet is 55% carbs 20% protein 25% fat, but I want it to be 55%carbs 30% protein 15% fat.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    What's your LBM? Usually one would calculate the required amount of protein and fat from that (depending on activity type and level) and then as long as those minimums/ranges are met, any remaining calories are made up from carbs/fats/protein as you wish.

There are other approaches, and there's usually a minimum level of carbs needed to feel energetic but that's also dependent on activity level and metabolism.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Besides I try to limit fats as much as possible

May I ask why?

If anything you are better of ensuring you keep your fat intake at a reasonable level and swapping carbs out for it. Not saying you have to go low carb or anything but most decent fat loss diets put protein and fat levels before carbs (particularly of the refined variety ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    At the moment my diet is 55% carbs 20% protein 25% fat, but I want it to be 55%carbs 30% protein 15% fat.

why do you only want to eat 15% fat?

my daily intake is roughly 30% fat, and i am still losing bodyfat
  • jetlbomb
    jetlbomb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'd say stay as you are for now. Perhaps cut out mayo. If you're still losing body fat then don't worry about it. Healthy fats like you're eating are actually really good for you. Fat doesnt make us fat.
  • makemesomegains
    Options
    if your not competing in a bodybuilding show there is no reason to have fats that low. fats help hormonal balance as well as keeping hunger down. up your fats are you will start to feel better and more active as well
  • abadmum
    abadmum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    are you loosing weight eating what you are at the moment?? if you are I wouldn't worry about the little bit extra..

the way I control how much fat eat is I eat foods that are 5% or less fat.. so my meats are all extra lean.. eg chicken, beef (it can be less than 5%), venison, fish... I also eat a lot of fish... which is quite low in fat apart from oily fish which is higher... but again its the healthy fat..

but I also allow myself a high fat treat up to about 100 calories every now and then... This is where my other good fats from snacks like nuts comes in...
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I think 55/30/15, which is the MFP default split, is really pretty high on carbs and pretty low on fat -- I aim for 40/30/30 but I don't really worry even if my fats are higher than that. In fact I find it much harder to hit targets if I'm eating more carbs than that. Note that 40% cals from carb is still not 'low carb' by any manner of means.
  • poma91
    Options
    What's your LBM? Usually one would calculate the required amount of protein and fat from that (depending on activity type and level) and then as long as those minimums/ranges are met, any remaining calories are made up from carbs/fats/protein as you wish.

There are other approaches, and there's usually a minimum level of carbs needed to feel energetic but that's also dependent on activity level and metabolism.

Well I used an online calculator for the LBM and it is 104.5. with protein requirement of around 89grams for fats and carbs I didn't find how to calculate it.

Normally per day I will eat something like 120-160 carbs/60 fats/80 protein
  • poma91
    Options
    Besides I try to limit fats as much as possible

May I ask why?

If anything you are better of ensuring you keep your fat intake at a reasonable level and swapping carbs out for it. Not saying you have to go low carb or anything but most decent fat loss diets put protein and fat levels before carbs (particularly of the refined variety ;)

I don't think that my carbs are high something like 120-160 depends on the day.. even I if I stay at the 20-25% fats I still go 1/3 over
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Fats in your diet do not make you fat unless you are eating too many calories. It would be to your benefit to not reduce your fat intake any more than you already are, you are not doing anything wrong. Getting less than 55 percent carbohydrates is not bad for you.
  • poma91
    Options
    Okay, thank you all for the responses. I will stay in the 20-25% range and try to limit the carbs although i almost never go to the 55%
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry if you're over all cals balance. Simply put, Omega 3 oil help reduce inflammation in the body and helps surround the muscle etc in your body - its good and the body loves it. I supplement 5000mg a day into my diet and eat plenty of peanut butter etc to get in as much as possible.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    .4g x body weight = fat
    1g x lb of lbm = protein
    Fill the rest with carbs

Recipe for success

For what exactly? LOL

There is no right way - it all depends on goals :o))