Do you track before or after you eat?

Options

Replies

• kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I pre-log my entire week the weekend before.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Both. I never pre-log breakfast, because what I eat varies a lot and I don't decide until right before. But if I know what I'm going to make for dinner, I'll log that so I can better plan the rest of the day.

Also, if I'm going to eat out I always log what I'm going to have in advance--I like browsing menus and nutrition charts online and figuring out the most appealing meal that will fit my macros. And that helps me stick to the plan when I get to the restaurant so I don't get distracted by a nice shiny menu.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't plan out my meals in advance, but I do log before I eat. It gives me an idea of what I'm eating and how much. I just try to make sure that most of the foods in the house are healthy choices, and stick to those. That is sometimes easier said than done because my husband is tall and slim, and can eat whatever he wants and lose weight. He's lost like 3 or 4 pound the last few days, but he walks an average of 10-15 miles per day, usually at about 5 mph. He's long legged and walks like a man on a mission, everywhere he goes. I have a really hard time keeping up with him when we go somewhere together. The great thing about him, is he understands that I want to lose weight, and will buy whatever food I want and usually eat it with me. I just have to make some concessions for him, because he can not stand artificial sweeteners, so there is always sugar in the house for his coffee and tea, sodas, and he loves certain types of candy. Luckily for me the types of candy that he likes are types that I don't particularly care for.
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Both. On weekdays I enter my breakfast and lunch in the morning to plan what I am going to eat and then at dinner (and weekends) I either do it while it is cooking, during, or right after.
  • c2tarun
    c2tarun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If I have options to choose between many foods with same nutritious value, then I log before and check which one is low on calorie :P
    If I don't have option I try to minimize my calorie intake and then log after.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I log the day of food, exercise and weight (yes, I do weigh myself every day) in the morning. I read the blogs to get motivated for the day. I add anything I put in my mouth throughout the day and always try to keep the calories at my target.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If it's a new food I always log before (and then sometimes change my mind about eating it)

If it's a food I am used to usually while I am eating or just after.

The exception is dinner is I am close to my goal number. Then I log before in case I need to make modifications to stay under.
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    I fill in my breakfast, lunch and snacks for the next day before I go to bed. It really helps me stay within my macros.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    For Breakfast/Lunch/Snacks throughout the day I usually track them before & fill that part out the night before. For dinner I usually track that whenever I decide what I want to eat & how many calories I'll have left.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Most of the time its actually during eating lol.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Usually while I'm eating. Helps increase my awareness.
  • aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    before! it helps me make sure i'm not eating too many carbs throughout the day (i have a problem with this if i log after)
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food 99% of the time. That way I know what I have to work with and exactly how much I have left.

I do the same!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    typically I log my day ahead of time. I eat the same thing for a nightly snack, with minor variations, so I can log that first thing. I normally know what I am going to make for dinner too so I get that in there and then see where i stand with calories and protein and then fill in for lunch and snacks. It works well for me especially if I am going to be on the go for the day so I know what I actually have to work with. I am less likely to grab a coffee or cookie when out if I know I don't have the cals to work with. Or get one if I can!
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    The day before. I feel more prepared and less likely to over eat. Also want to make sure I'll get my carbs,protein,fat in correctly
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I'm really organized and have the time, I like to plan and track as much as possible ahead of time. I like seeing all my food for the day listed there. But if not, then I track it after I eat. Either way, I track no matter what. Yesterday I was over by 800 calories, but at least I tracked it!
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i do both...but sometimes i have cravings for things and i look them up first to see how many cals they are and see how they fit for my goals for the day :)
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I tend to track breakfast and maybe lunch the day before. Sometimes I end up changing lunch...but breakfast is in the tracker the day before 99% of the time. I don't know what I'll be hungry for at dinner time so I leave that open.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do both. I usually log my breakfast and lunch ahead of time because I know I won't have time to do it while Im at work. On my days off or at night when I'm off work I'll do it afterwards unless I've already pre-planned the meal and/or I know ahead of time what Im eating.