Improving running speed

Options
2»

Replies

• joyfulrunner22
    joyfulrunner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To get faster you have to run faster. Interval training is the best way (you also burn more calories this way than just running).

Also for every pound you lose you "should" cut 4 seconds off your mile time (this really is a lot).

Last, when I started truly lifting with my legs (squats, leg press, etc) I got faster. I use to only be able to run a 13-14 min mile. Now I can run long races at 830s no problem, and do shorter distances at about a 7-715. I want to get faster than this so I have incorporated speed training back into my workouts.
  • rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It was totally counter intuitive for me but I got faster by using the Galloway method (just google, he's pretty famous). So basically now I run in short intervals with walks in between. Seemed crazy to me but I went from running 10k in just on the hour to 58 minutes the first time I tried it. Last weekend I did 10 k in 55:28 stopping to walk every 10 min. Today I did a training run with 5 min run, 45 sec walk and still did 10k in under an hour.

Like I said seemed crazy but for me it works and I enjoy the whole thing much more.

A lot of helpful advice. I might be tempted by the Galloway method for longer runs as I get quite bored and it's nice to mix it up a bit! Do you do shorter runs with walk breaks too? How do pace the runs?