Runners? Need some help!

Options
Good morning everyone!

I used to run (like in high school, 15 years ago!) but a lot has changed within my body since then. I would really like to start running again but I don't know how to get started without killing myself! I have read about "breathing properly" and getting the right shoes, but it's all foreign to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have an app on my iphone called couch to 5k. I really enjoy it. You do intervals of walking and running and it gradually gets you up to a solid 30 minutes of running
  • amandaelizabeth81
    amandaelizabeth81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is that the one where you walk for 4 minutes and run for 1, or something like that?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a local running store and get properly fitted for a good pair of shoes. Also the Couch to 5 k program is good also several others you can google it to see what it entails. I started running about 2.5 years ago and I love it once you get yourself conditioned to it. Good luck
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    I also started with cough to 5K a couple years ago, it was a perfect way for me to become a runner!
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    bump
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    C25K

I never ran...ever. Hated it...despised it! Did C25K, and now can't get enough and working up to 25 miles a week.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Yes each week you run a little bit more than the week before. You start with 1 minute jog, walk 1.5 mins. Week 2 1 1/2 min jog, 2 min walk...etc.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Since you are starting from scratch I would look to start with minimalist shoes unless you have something really strange about your feet and just start running. 20 minutes at first walking if you have to 3 times per week and just keep increasing your time and intensity just not more than 10% per week.
  • jofiestyone
    jofiestyone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of the C25k running app, same kinda thing, helps you build up and now I can run more than what I thought I could in a short space of time!

Also track it with Endomondo App, I find thats good too.

Good Luck x:smile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My advice:

1. Start out with a program like Couch to 5K.
    2. Get professionally fitted for shoes at a running specialty stores
    3. Don't try to go too fast - speed comes with time
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but i've tried that couch 2 5k. I also joined a runners club in my town. That REALLY HELPED me! I am currently up to 4.5 miles and working my way towards a 10k. It is a nice small group of 20 people and we meet once a week. I like running with other people because it helps me keep going and not stop when i want to! Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Go out and run and see how you do. I'd start off easy, slower pace on a flatter route if possible, but get out there and see how it goes.

No sense trying to fix things that you don't know are even a problem...
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my iphone called couch to 5k. I really enjoy it. You do intervals of walking and running and it gradually gets you up to a solid 30 minutes of running

I got into running last summer/fall, been running ever since. They still have no idea where I am :wink:

Seriously, I did everything by trial and error, I really wish I knew about Couch to 5K as it does wonders to transform a non-runner into a runner. Building cardio isn;t nearly as difficult as getting the rest of your body ready for running.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My advice:

All of this!!:drinker:
  • lovefool63
    lovefool63 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great advice and suggestions, proper fitting shoe, socks as well. Start with a basic running program, load up the music and have fun !
  • ezwryder
    ezwryder Posts: 25
    Options
    I also started with cough to 5K a couple years ago, it was a perfect way for me to become a runner!

Is this a version of the program for former smokers? :-)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    My advice:

I concur. I'm using the Zombies 5k, which is like Couch to 5K, but with... well... zombies (because outrunning zombies puts things into perspective, it's one of my MFP goals :D ). The first week (at least with Z5K) has you do 10 15sec jogs with a minute walk inbetween. And my jogs are definitely slow jogs, but they work up the distance and speeds at a good easy rate.
  • ndmckeown
    ndmckeown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Zombies 5K app on my phone. It's like the couch to 5k, only with added zombies and an interesting story line. It's really kept me motivated!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    For the shoes I'd go get a fitting at a running store. They can give you advice on what might work best for you. You won't really know until you try some on though. Also, don't forget good socks. Polyester is the way to go. As far as the breathing, it's probably a matter of what works for you. For me I do two in/two out (trying to work up to three in/three out) through the mouth and in step with my stride. I read it helped some run longer and it worked for me. I'm pretty slow though compared to some people I see so maybe that's why. I've read some people breath in through the nose and out the mouth quickly but it's never worked well for me. Also, like everyone else has been saying. C25K is the way to go. It just works.
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    If I was you I would defintely start couch to 5k and go to a running shoe shop and try some on until you get a perfect fit. I'm on week 4 of C25K and I'm really enjoying it.