HRM questions

I got a HRM the other day and still not sure how to make best use of it (it's Polar F40), I've tried Google but it's not much clearer

I've set my Max heart rate as183, as per few websites 220- my age. I'm not sure about target rates and how exactly to use them, should I, for example, speed up if my heart rate goes below the bottom limit, and slow down if it goes above the top one?

For example, I've been doing the same walk for the last couple of weeks, it's 3.1km (just under 2 miles), 32-33mins, average speed works out around 3.5mph. Today was a bit off as I had to stop for few mins but time has been fairly consistent. I also push a regular stroller with 30lb toddler and it was very windy today.

So numbers from today are:

307kcal
Cal fat 33% -> what is this?? does it mean that 67% came from melting muscle?

average heart rate 127
max heart rate 147

time 40min

fat burn 7:41
fitness 32:11 -> should I be aiming to stay in fat burn or in fitness? I need to do both

As I continue to walk daily what should I be aiming at? How should I know I'm getting more fit?

Thanks!

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    If you train in fitness zone you do both burn fat and improve your fitness, so it's recommended to stay in that zone.
    33% fat burned means your body got 33% of the energy needed from stored fat and 67% from e. g. carbs. As long as you fuel your body properly you don't really burn muscle.

Try to stay in fitness zone when walking, you'll feel it when you get fitter. ;)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Heart rate zones are useful in some circumstances, for athletes training for specific goals. In the case of fat loss - its pointless. Yes, at certain zones you burn more fat, however, you are working at such a low intensity that you don't burn many calories during the workout. A higher intensity workout, you burn more calories over the same time so even though the percentage of fat might be lower, it still ends up being higher with the higher number of calories burned. (I hope that makes sense)
    For example, at lower intensities the body may burn 50 percent of the calories from fat, while at higher intensities it may only burn 35 percent. But at higher intensities you burn way more total calories—and more fat calories overall—than you do at lower intensities.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Heart rate zones are useful in some circumstances, for athletes training for specific goals. In the case of fat loss - its pointless. Yes, at certain zones you burn more fat, however, you are working at such a low intensity that you don't burn many calories during the workout. A higher intensity workout, you burn more calories over the same time so even though the percentage of fat might be lower, it still ends up being higher with the higher number of calories burned. (I hope that makes sense)
    For example, at lower intensities the body may burn 50 percent of the calories from fat, while at higher intensities it may only burn 35 percent. But at higher intensities you burn way more total calories—and more fat calories overall—than you do at lower intensities.

^^^ this x 1000000
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    If you train in fitness zone you do both burn fat and improve your fitness, so it's recommended to stay in that zone.
    33% fat burned means your body got 33% of the energy needed from stored fat and 67% from e. g. carbs. As long as you fuel your body properly you don't really burn muscle.

Try to stay in fitness zone when walking, you'll feel it when you get fitter. ;)
    Thank you, that makes sense!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    I read alot on a site builtlean.com and this is an article about heart rate zones which is helpful.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/25/how-to-calculate-your-max-heart-rate/
  • RawCarrots
    OK, so in other words stop obsessing over numbers :wink:

I like numbers though, numbers keep me going (I'm a bit of a maths and IT nerd) :smile: So give me something to focus on to make sure I'm making progress with my fitness. I need something to compare week after week so I can stay motivated. Currently use an app to track the walks and I've set up a goal there to walk 50km this month, not a lot for most people but a massive achievement for me! So help me put my hrm to use when evaluating fitness. Like, should I aim to stay longer each week in the fitness zone?
  • RawCarrots
    I read alot on a site builtlean.com and this is an article about heart rate zones which is helpful.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/25/how-to-calculate-your-max-heart-rate/
    Thank you, will look at the link now
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Not saying stop obsessing over numbers, just stop worrying about what "zone" you are in for weight loss or maintaining fat burning zone.

Improving fitness is a different thing. Both longer lower intensity cardio and shorter higher intensity increase fitness. It all depends on your goals.
  • justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    So I have a question then with my HRM. I generally workout anywhere between 40-60 minutes and my "in zone" time is usually all but about 10-15 min of my work out. Usually my average HR is around 155 and my max goes anywhere between 176-182. Is this good? I don't care much or focus on anything except calories at the end because I don't need to become obsessive with numbers, etc, but am kind of curious.