Exercise after eating or before?

Options
Hello Everybody,

I have a question about how metabolism works. Is it best to exercise, then eat a meal? Or eat first, then go for a walk or workout? Generally, in the morning after I walk, I go home drink my coffee and eat my breakfast. At night, I eat my dinner, let it settle a bit, then go for an evening walk. I was just curious.

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before my workout or I don't have the energy. I would think it would be better before seeing as how it is suggested to eat when you get up to get your metabolism going so I'd think you'd want to kick it up a bit before a workout. Just my thoughts. :P
  • ariheavy
    ariheavy Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not sure what is better. This is a good question! I know that you should let your food settle before any workout, so it's not good to eat and the right after go for a jog. Since you have tried it both ways...eating and then exercising and the other way around I would pay attention to which way you feel best and stick to that. Good luck! :)
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I would say listen to your body. I just recently started a Saturday Morning Zumba class, the first class, I didn't eat breakfast....it about killed me. I was light headed, dizzy and couldn't focus. :noway:
    The second saturday I had under 300 calories for breakfast and it was great, huge difference from the way I was feeling the week before.
  • biggphatdaddy
    Options
    actually i've read that both are good, eat before at least a half hour for the fuel, and then take in calories within 15 minutes of finishing your workout to extend your burn...

make sure your pre workout snack or meal is at least half hour before due to the fact you dont wanna work on a full stomach and get sick, but you do need the fuel....i like some fruit and yogurt before and maybe some chicken or tuna afterward....
  • timeworncougar
    Options
    My trainer told me to have a small snack before exercising and than have the meal within an hour after exercising. I usually eat kashi bar or a slice of bread with peanut butter on it. Than have my breakfast.
  • timeworncougar
    Options
    My trainer told me to have a small snack before exercising and than have the meal within an hour after exercising. I usually eat kashi bar or a slice of bread with peanut butter on it. Than have my breakfast.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you fuel both your exercise and your recovery. So, if it's been too long since your last meal, eating 100-1200 calories of something carby 30-60 min. before exercise is a good idea. Then, you want to eat something with carbs and protein 30-60 min. after to fuel your muscle recover. Again, just a little something in the 100-200 calorie range, not a big meal.
  • maydianna
    maydianna Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been told the same thing (eat an hour before and within an hour after) - but to make sure the small snacks or meals include protein.
  • helenturner
    Options
    In my Body Sculpting Bible for Women book, they recommend you drink a small amount of water first thing in the morning and then do your workout. Reason is your body will start burning your stored fat immediately. If you eat right before you exercise your body will burn the fat & carbs in the meal before it starts burning the stored ones. Knowing this I still have a small snack before; if not I get dizzy & sick to my stomach before I finish my routine. That book has lots of other good information if your interested.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody,

I have a question about how metabolism works. Is it best to exercise, then eat a meal? Or eat first, then go for a walk or workout? Generally, in the morning after I walk, I go home drink my coffee and eat my breakfast. At night, I eat my dinner, let it settle a bit, then go for an evening walk. I was just curious.

When you eat, as you digest your food, your heartrate rises. Imagine raising that heartbeat even further whilst you now workout!

You should let your food "go down" for a couple of hours before working out, however, going for a stroll after a meal is fine, that, I find, actually helps digestion. Anything heavy or is going to make you out of breath though would really be best left for a little while. It is just not worth straining internal organs whilst they are trying to do the job of digesting your food or at the very least getting indigestion - 'cos that bloody hurts! :laugh:

This below is an excerpt from an aerobic webpage:

Wait a couple of hours after a heavy meal before doing aerobic exercises. (During digestion, blood is diverted to your stomach) Wait about 20 minutes after exercising to have a meal.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    i do it both ways
  • crazy4him4552
    Options
    Hey....thanks everyone!! I've found a wealth of information from each one of you!! YOU ARE the BEST!!! :flowerforyou: