Is Cleaning House Exercise?

Options
May sound like a silly question, but some times after cleaning house I get tired.:ohwell:
I was wondering can you log cleaning your house as exercise?
How many calories do you think it burns, when cleaning for an hour?:glasses:

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's in the data base for exercise. I logged 5 hours of cleaning on Sat and it came out to 1270 calories.
  • khacker1
    khacker1 Posts: 6
    Options
    It is listed in the exercise section under cleaning. I know if I'm really mopping, carrying laundry down the stairs, really working hard I do count it. I think vigorous cleaning it says is 284 calories. I bet i burn that in the first 30 minutes.:smile:
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    check the database it is in there but i don't know the exacts on it. hope that helps!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I totally count it! I'm more sore from sweeping or mopping that some cardio :) Cleaning is listed in the Exercise database, either light or heavy.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Go to Exercise - Database and type in cleaning. There is a light and heavy. Based on your weight and number of minutes YOU are burning claories. I don't usually count them but others sure do!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    When I scrub my floors (I have all hard wood and tile up and downstairs) you better believe I count it! It takes hours and totally wipes me out! I don't log when I just clean regularly, like dusting, sweeping, etc. But when I do the big stuff, like grab a scrub brush and get on my knees, that counts for sure!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    It's in the database, but I don't count it. I know some say they do if it's heavy cleaning, but I don't even do that. I figure it's just bonus calories burnt.

Then again, I also don't eat my exercise calories, either. I just log when I actually workout. That's just me. :)
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Cleaning is in the database- and it most certainly is exercise!!! And it can be quite a good form of exercise, too! I feel like I get the best workout sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming :) Who knew that cleaning could be so good for you, huh!?
  • Sherry44
    Sherry44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I typically don't count them, but if I'm pulling the fridge out to clean behind it or cleaning kitchen cabinets going up and down the step stool a lot I sure do!
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    WoW I will check it out Thank You.. guess I should have known it was in the database. :tongue:
    Thank's for every one who responded!! :love:
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yes it is exercise and Yes it is in the database. Me, I don't count it unless it is like Major spring cleaning or something. I figure if it is something I do on a daily basis (as well as something I did when I was at my heaviest) like cleaning or sex... then I am not going to count it as "extra" now that I am smaller.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    You bet!!!! I log mine only every so often, I don't count daily cleaning :)
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I used to clean houses and yes it really burns calories...I wasn't tiny then but I wasn't overweight either......Do you have a heart rate monitor?.....You can use it to get the exact number....There is a estimated one in the data base though.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I count it, because normally I sit at a desk all day. So when I mop, scrub, vacuum or carry laundry I definitely feel like I've earned the calories I've burned. I also count gardening, it's in the data base too.

Congrats on the weight you've already lost!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    It's in the database, but I don't count it. I know some say they do if it's heavy cleaning, but I don't even do that. I figure it's just bonus calories burnt.

Then again, I also don't eat my exercise calories, either. I just log when I actually workout. That's just me. :)

Same for me. I do housecleaning (three houses, two days a week) to earn extra money. I don't count it as exercise, but I did bump up my daily activity level.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I count cleaning when I scrub the tub and shower or clean the house form top to bottom, which includes all of the following dusting, mopping, bathrooms, sweeping and doing 4-5 loads of laundry and putting them away. I never put more than 2-3 hours, b/c I'm not keeping my heartrate up 160+ for 3 hours. So I log it as 3 hours light or 1.5 heavy for the day of cleaning.
  • KJLDavies
    KJLDavies Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always count it! I have my activity level set at sedentary since I have a desk job, so any extra work I do on my feet I definitely count!
  • avengedjennifold
    avengedjennifold Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I clean 3 houses a day and I am sweating like a faucet. I'm pretty sure its exercise x.X
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Definition:
    ex·er·cise
    /ˈeksərˌsīz/
    Noun
    Activity requiring physical effort, carried out esp. to sustain or improve health and fitness

Think the last part is a sticking point. I didnt get fat cause I failed to clean. JS.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning in MFP because I'm pretty sure that the calories burned numbers are way inflated. However, I do feel good about cleaning anyway because A.) Clean house = win and B.) Time not spent sitting on my butt = win!