Eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight (5'2)

Options
I have been dieting for about 3 weeks now. I have started at about 153 and am now 148. I lost most of that weight in the first week. I havent lost any weight in about 5 days. I eat exactly 1200 calories a day, weighing out all my food. I exercise about 3-5 times a week. I usually run about 2-3 miles or use the elliptical for about 30 min on my not so intense days. Is there something I am doing wrong? It is very discouraging when I put so much work into eating healthy and exercising and not losing weight. I wanted to lose about 1.5 lbs a week. So i need to lose about .2 lbs a day. WHY HAVE I STOPPED LOSING WEIGHT? Is this normal.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Check this out ...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

Hitting a plateau is normal when trying to lose weight. I would say try to change up your work out routine (ie. If you're on the elliptical every workout, try the row machine, spinning or other aerobics). I change up my routine, but doing a set pace run during the week then run intervals Sunday. This is just my cardio. Change it up, let me know how it goes.

Dru
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it just takes some time for your body to catch up. Give it some time, drink plenty of water. Weight loss is not often a straight line, you can lose nothing for days and then all of a sudden 2lbs will be gone.

This.. And also, make sure you are netting 1200 calories per day, not just eating that amount. Meaning, after you factor in your exercise calories, make sure you eat enough to bring you back up to 1200.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have been dieting for about 3 weeks now. I have started at about 153 and am now 148. I lost most of that weight in the first week. I havent lost any weight in about 5 days. I eat exactly 1200 calories a day, weighing out all my food. I exercise about 3-5 times a week. I usually run about 2-3 miles or use the elliptical for about 30 min on my not so intense days. Is there something I am doing wrong? It is very discouraging when I put so much work into eating healthy and exercising and not losing weight. I wanted to lose about 1.5 lbs a week. So i need to lose about .2 lbs a day. WHY HAVE I STOPPED LOSING WEIGHT? Is this normal.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Because you need to fuel your body. With only 20 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1 lb per week max. In all reality it might be 1/2 - 1 lb for optimal loss. Also, if you exercise your body needs more calories. So you can either set your account to lightly active since you workout 3 days a week or you can eat back 50% of your exercise calories if MFP is estimating them. If you take the calories from the elliptical, eat 60-80% as they over estimate too.
  • Mathlete22
    Mathlete22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks a lot for everyone's input and help!
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Looking to share food logs with other petite ladies. I'm 5'2 trying to manage a 1200 calorie goal. Currently think its not enough cal. Trying to keep under 1600 and workout everyday. Also started blogging healthy recipe ideas at www.petitehealth.com
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks! How do you figure you're stalled? Give it a little more time and keep doing what you're doing. You've got this.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks! How do you figure you're stalled? Give it a little more time and keep doing what you're doing. You've got this.
    So you want her to continue netting 700 calories per day?

Awful advice.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump it up to 1500. If your body doesn't have enough fuel to get you through all that exercise, it can affect weight loss. Make sure you're always changing up your workout routine.Don't let your body get used to anything. It's only been 5 days. Give it time. You took longer than 5 days to put that weight on, it's not going to disappear overnight.
  • Schmidt722
    Schmidt722 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Looking to share food logs with other petite ladies. I'm 5'2 trying to manage a 1200 calorie goal. Currently think its not enough cal. Trying to keep under 1600 and workout everyday. Also started blogging healthy recipe ideas at www.petitehealth.com

I am very similar to you at 5'3". I started at 1200, but it didn't take long to realize I needed 1500 to feel satiated and happy. Also trying to work out daily, whether it's a little or a lot. I can also relate to OP in that I lost the first few pounds very quickly and thought "this is easy!", but haven't seen much change in a week or two. I am just trying to be patient. My diary is open (I think), feel free share with me if you like.
  • natashashepherd1
    natashashepherd1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I workout 5 times a week, and burn 400 calories at least each time I go to the gym. I am eating 1200 calories a day, and I eat back the calories I burn to make it an overall 1200 calories a day. I have been doing this for a month, and I have lost 1 lb. I have noticed that I am always hungry though, and I feel like I am not eating enough. My body will even wake me up in the middle of the night because I am soo hungry. I calculated my TTDE which is 2179 calories a day. I think I may be eating too little, but not sure. I am 5'2, 136 lbs and 28 years old. Its so discouraging to be working so hard at this, and not seeing any results. From reading these posts I am going to up my calories to 1500 a day and see how that goes. Let me know if anyone else has any other ideas or tips for me! Thank you so much
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs x 3 weeks = 4.5 lbs ... so you are ahead.

I don't lose steadily either and it often discourages me too. I have to do good for along stretch and suddenly I see dips. I'm doing about the same as you. I've been back on MFP for about 3 weeks and have lost 6 lbs. I'm 5'4 and trying to eat about 1200 a day.

What has helped me is to make a chart with my weight and my future losses by week. That way, as long as I'm under the weight I'm "supposed" to be at for that week, I figure it's working and keep it up.
    So for example.. mine looks like:

Date Weight Goal
    4/15 152.8 (start date and actual weight)
    4/22 151.3
    4/29 149.8
    5/6 148.3

I actually wrote mine all the way to my goal weight of 115. I weighed in this morning at 149.8 so I figure I'm a couple weeks ahead so if I don't get discouraged and just keep up the good fight, I should stay on track for another drop and onwards to my goal.

I've also always been a big fan of switching up my calories every so often and I recently found and started to try the 5:2 diet. I really like it, but it's not for everyone.
  • natashashepherd1
    natashashepherd1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    RE: Stephanie
    Okay! Thank you very much :) Once I actually start losing the weight, I am going to keep a goal list like that! I haven't gained any weight, just staying at a consistent 136.4 lbs. I started eating the 1500 calories yesterday and will continue for this week to see if there is any change in weight. I am learning some new recipes and stuff to also switch up my calories :D
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I normally weight in on Tuesday mornings. I found that I generally weigh the lowest throughout the week on this day. I still weigh the same as I did last Tuesday. I suspect I will drop about a lb in the morning when I weigh in. I always seem to drop on Sunday or Monday. I do not drop weight in a linear fashion, it's normally a random pound or two dropped when I wake up one morning.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    RE: Stephanie
    Okay! Thank you very much :) Once I actually start losing the weight, I am going to keep a goal list like that! I haven't gained any weight, just staying at a consistent 136.4 lbs. I started eating the 1500 calories yesterday and will continue for this week to see if there is any change in weight. I am learning some new recipes and stuff to also switch up my calories :D

Give it at least a full month at the higher goal. A week is no where near long enough.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I workout 5 times a week, and burn 400 calories at least each time I go to the gym. I am eating 1200 calories a day, and I eat back the calories I burn to make it an overall 1200 calories a day. I have been doing this for a month, and I have lost 1 lb. I have noticed that I am always hungry though, and I feel like I am not eating enough. My body will even wake me up in the middle of the night because I am soo hungry. I calculated my TTDE which is 2179 calories a day. I think I may be eating too little, but not sure. I am 5'2, 136 lbs and 28 years old. Its so discouraging to be working so hard at this, and not seeing any results. From reading these posts I am going to up my calories to 1500 a day and see how that goes. Let me know if anyone else has any other ideas or tips for me! Thank you so much
    If your TDEE is 2179, then your 20% deficit should be 1743. Eat at that number.. gradually increase from 1200 to 1700ish (like 100 per week). It will take a few weeks before any results most likely and you may see a weight gain initially.
  • fitforlife2006
    fitforlife2006 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    May I know what is 5:2 diet?