Office Routine

Options
For all of those out there that have a "wonderful" (sarcasm) desk job and are sedentary, do you have any exercises that you do which, if someone walks by your cube, you don't look totally ridiculous?
I am going to try to start walking over lunch breaks and just randomly get up to stretch and walk around a bit but curious to see if anyone had any good ideas :)

Thanks!

Replies

• raylo1313
    raylo1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Easy enough....when you do walk anywhere (down the hall, to the copier, etc)....do it on your toes. If you are waiting for something..coffee to brew, copying, etc. talking on the phone - stand on one leg and lift up and down, then switch. When you are in a room by yourself (restroom for example) put your hands on the wall or sink and do some push ups. Do squats occasionally when no one is looking. You don't have to do alot of these at one time...just fit them in all day long as you can and you will start seeing results.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Sorry, I am no help if I want to do something I just do it. And if anyone looks at me funny I just say..

"What?!?!? At least I'm trying!" Really loud.
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have an office, so I just close my door and do some squats or lunges. I try not to break too much of a sweat though, because then I would have to explain it...
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    For all of those out there that have a "wonderful" (sarcasm) desk job and are sedentary, do you have any exercises that you do which, if someone walks by your cube, you don't look totally ridiculous?
    I am going to try to start walking over lunch breaks and just randomly get up to stretch and walk around a bit but curious to see if anyone had any good ideas :)

Thanks!
    Get rid of your chair & raise your monitor/desk -- and work standing up. Several in my building do so (some in cubicles, some in offices). Did the first person feel silly? Perhaps, but I don't know who the first person was, it caught on so well and is no big deal now.
  • katiethedetermined1
    katiethedetermined1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Under my desk I take my shoes off and then you can lift your legs up and down repeatidly or just hold them in the air. It makes it burn!! Or I have heard that you can flex your butt cheeks while you sit and that works! Hope this helps.
  • 44nReady4change
    Options
    My office has french doors with lace curtains. I turn heads all day when people see me exercising. :) I keep light weights under my desk, work my calf muscles, squats...anything I can STOP quickly if someone needs me ;)
  • britkip
    britkip Posts: 49
    Options
    I work in a doctors office and I bought just a plastic box from Target and raised my computer and I stand while at work, I also bought a exercise ball to sit on at lunch. People did say stuff at first but now they are just use to it. I go to the basement at lunch and run stairs also. Who cares what everyone says they should learn from you and do the same things.
  • kznovo
    kznovo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I brought a light dumbell in and do bicep curls everyonce in a while when I'm not busy.

Alos, I made it a point that everytime I go to the washroom, I"ll do 20 squats in the stall. I also do calf raises while waiting for coffee/photocopy/etc.

Need to find a sitting down ab exercise now. :)
  • mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you don't have restrictions, I like fitbolt. I just skip the silly ones.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Easy enough....when you do walk anywhere (down the hall, to the copier, etc)....do it on your toes. ....

I think you missed the "without looking ridiculous" part of the OP
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    lol you guys are cracking me up with some of your comments but I REALLY like a lot of these suggestions and I can totally apply them!!
  • justshann0n
    justshann0n Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If your office chair has sturdy arms just push yourself out of it repeatedly and/or push up and hold your position for so many seconds. You can either let your feet rest on the floor, or lift your feet off the floor for a challenge :) I also do squats. They made a small "peddler" that fits under a desk I'm looking into but I don't really know how well it would work. I suppose anything is better than being sedentary though! :)
  • kristacali
    kristacali Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    While sitting in your chair reach up over your head and hold onto the top of the chair (for stability) and the raise your legs up in the air to straighten them out, this will do the stomach exercises.