Ravenous Days

Options
I have a general question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I work out 5 days a week, usually a half and half blend of cardio and heavy lifting. I am consuming roughly 2100-2400 calories a day (My TDEE is 3,080). My diet is lots of raw fruits and veggies with lean proteins such as chicken and fish.... although I do eat a nice juicy steak once a week. My snacks are usually a fruit + nuts or greek yogurt or string cheese + nuts. I consume 2 protein shakes a day made with soy milk for a total of 34 grams of protein each and 220 calories. Most days I am ok with this eating "plan". I feel satiated. But then there are days like today where I feel completely ravenous and could probably eat anything that isn't anchored down. I am really big into listening to your body, but do I listen to it on days like today? Does anyone know what could possibly cause this? It doesn't follow a certain pattern, i.e. I lifted heavier, more reps, etc. It's completely random. And no, it doesn't have anything to do with TOM. I drink a TON of water just to make sure it's an actual hunger and not a thirst, and it's not a craving for anything in particular... just food.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    Is it anything specific you are craving? Something salty? sweet? tangy? It sounds like you are hitting most of your nutrients, but maybe your body is craving something that it is not getting. Hormones (regardless of TOM) do all kinds of weird things and they might be contributing. I would eat what your body is asking for (if you can figure out what it is!) and stop when it seems to be satisfied. Sometimes it only takes a couple of bites. Hard to say....
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    There really is no craving for anything specific. I mean, I'm eating healthier so I no longer really crave the junk food anyway, but it really doesn't matter. I ate some stale crackers and expired peanut butter last time! Ha! Seriously, you would have thought that I had been held hostage for a month with as quick as I was shoveling the food in. But after that day, I was back to normal.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some healthy fats on those days healthy fats will help you feel more satisified and can help you actually lose more in the long run.
  • Colli78
    Options
    Try adding in some healthy fats on those days healthy fats will help you feel more satisified and can help you actually lose more in the long run.

Thanks! I will try that. I wonder if people would look at me weird if I were eating an avocado like an apple? Ha!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your deficit is too large? You're cutting almost 1000 calories below TDEE on those 2100 days--over 30%. If you went to TDEE -15%, you could eat 2618 calories and still lose roughly a pound a week. If you're working out 5 days a week, your body may just want more to eat.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I work out 5 days a week, usually a half and half blend of cardio and heavy lifting. I am consuming roughly 2100-2400 calories a day (My TDEE is 3,080). My diet is lots of raw fruits and veggies with lean proteins such as chicken and fish.... although I do eat a nice juicy steak once a week. My snacks are usually a fruit + nuts or greek yogurt or string cheese + nuts. I consume 2 protein shakes a day made with soy milk for a total of 34 grams of protein each and 220 calories. Most days I am ok with this eating "plan". I feel satiated. But then there are days like today where I feel completely ravenous and could probably eat anything that isn't anchored down. I am really big into listening to your body, but do I listen to it on days like today? Does anyone know what could possibly cause this? It doesn't follow a certain pattern, i.e. I lifted heavier, more reps, etc. It's completely random. And no, it doesn't have anything to do with TOM. I drink a TON of water just to make sure it's an actual hunger and not a thirst, and it's not a craving for anything in particular... just food.
    Any thoughts?

I know exactly how you feel! I had this issue yesterday! I would have eaten ANYTHING I could have gotten my hands on. I didn't fare well with this situation so I'm eager to other's responses! Thanks for posting!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you just need a french fry. Or marshmallows. Obviously not every week, but the occasional completely nutritionally devoid food will make you feel better about all the healthy stuff you are eating. At least, it works that way for me.
  • mombieocalypse
    Options

Any thoughts?

I know exactly how you feel! I had this issue yesterday! I would have eaten ANYTHING I could have gotten my hands on. I didn't fare well with this situation so I'm eager to other's responses! Thanks for posting!

This is me today.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    On days like today; skip the protein shakes and consume "real" food. it may make a difference. 220 calories gets you 2 - 4 ounce chicken breasts. That's a lot more filling then a shake and the protein intake is also quite high; you won't miss your shake.
  • Colli78
    Options
    Perhaps your deficit is too large? You're cutting almost 1000 calories below TDEE on those 2100 days--over 30%. If you went to TDEE -15%, you could eat 2618 calories and still lose roughly a pound a week. If you're working out 5 days a week, your body may just want more to eat.

I hadn't thought about it that way actually. I guess because my previous mindset would tell me that 2100 is a lot of calories to consume. But...it's really not. I will try to pay more attention to my totals and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!! :smile:
  • Colli78
    Options
    On days like today; skip the protein shakes and consume "real" food. it may make a difference. 220 calories gets you 2 - 4 ounce chicken breasts. That's a lot more filling then a shake and the protein intake is also quite high; you won't miss your shake.

I will try this too. I work out on my lunch break, so my time is limited. The shakes are easy and delicious so that makes them more convenient. I will try to get my lazy butt to make some chicken once a week and bring some along to work for when this happens. Thanks!!
  • FitBirdie
    FitBirdie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will try that. I wonder if people would look at me weird if I were eating an avocado like an apple? Ha!

I do that. And it works. I eat bell peppers like that too.
    If anyone says anything, look at them like you're confused and say "This isn't what you earthlings call an apple?"
    :bigsmile: