Looking for people like me - overweight marathoners

Options
Hi, my name is Maggy and I'm a marathon runner. I've finished 5 marathons plus many more half marathons and shorter distances.

I am tired of having the fattest thighs in my starting corral!!! :-) My BMI borders between "normal" and "overweight" but to improve my running results (which is a big goal), I need to get my weight down.

Is there anyone out there like me? I would love to have some virtual friends to encourage/support!

Thanks

Mags

Replies

• rsjoWECHANGED
    Options
    Im not running marathons yet, but Im starting the C25K :) Ill be your friend :)
  • shannahgetsfit
    Options
    I just finished my first 10k in March! I want to get a few more of those under my belt and work my way up to other distances. I would love to help keep you motivated and I know you would be able to help motivate me to become a better runner.
  • darylewb
    darylewb Posts: 45
    Options
    The most I've worked myself up to is a half marathon so far and I was heavier than anyone else involved by at least 25%. I hope to get myself into marathon shape by spring of next year.
  • theresag42
    Options
    My husband ran his third marathon on Sunday. I wanted to be a part of the whole think so I walked a 10k for the first time and I was walking funny on Monday! I would love to eventually run with him. We both just started on MFP yesterday. I would love to have you to check in with.
  • MaggyBPH
    MaggyBPH Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm new to this Myfitnesspal community, but I'm going to try to figure all this out. I also probably need to do some work on my profile....
  • gillybeanz74
    gillybeanz74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am not a marathoner but I am a runner and I have done 3 halfs as well as some 16 KM/ 8 Miles 10 K and a whole wack of 5K races that I have lost count in. I am going to make a shirt for all those rude people out there that give dirty looks when someone overweight is running " I MIGHT BE CHUBBY BUT I CAN RUN HALF MARATHONS"

Add me if you like. Been running for 4 years now!! Wow time flies when your having fun
  • Rpeat1
    Rpeat1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Hi, I also come somewhere between normal and overweight depending on what chart you look at! I did my first 2 half marathons last year and have booked to do 3 half marathons this year (1 in just over a weeks time and one 2 weeks after that) and a full one in October. FR welcome x
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's been a while, but I was knocking on 14 stone when I did my marathon, and I'm now pottering along at 12 stone 10 ish. I'd love to be wearing those short-short running shorts and not worry about my thighs chafing!
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am a marathoner on the "ample" side. Still in the overweight range.
    To those who may judge me by my size, I have said that "anybody is welcome to make fun of my butt jiggle AFTER they do a training run with me."
    Feel free to add me!
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Closing in on my third marathon. This will be my "lightest" one, but my BMI is around 25 right now.

My first was done at 210# (I am 5'10" female).

Feel free to add me, too!
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've completed multiple half marathons and am getting ready to start training for my first marathon in October. Anyone is welcome to add me
  • hmstix
    hmstix Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have done a few 5k's over the past couple years, but have been training hard for my first half marathon on May 5th. 11.25 last week done, and looking to do the full 13.1 this week before tapering for two weeks prior to the race. Feel free to add me, as fitbit has my BMI at 40.7 (obese). But I can still run for three hours..LOL Iam in the best shape of my life, even if my physical shape isn't where i want it yet.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    that would be me:) when I did my first 5k run I weighed 250 pounds and a size 26W. when I did my second one I weighed 220 pounds. I am now 171 pounds. 40 pounds from my goal.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    Any runner can add me, I've done a of 10k's, and I have just started training for my first half. I am still in the obese range, but I won't let it stop me from running.
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! Like you, my sister and I ave both run several marathons- her around 10+ and me 7- but are considered "larger" (perhaps by general standards, but definitely by marathoner standards).

First marathon, I remember thinking "I'm going to be able to eat so much stuff AND lose weight!" Yeah, ummmm, THAT didn't happen!! Haha
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm an obese half-marathoner, but I'm going to run THE marathon in Greece in 2016! Please add me if you would like!
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I haven't completed a half marathon yet! I am determined to complete one this year, at least under 2.5 hrs.

I run 6 miles 2-3 times a week and Zumba twice a week. I've done many 5Ks and have completed two official 10Ks (the ones I can afford). My BMI is in the overweight range, I'd like to lose 5-10 more pounds to be on the higher end of the normal range.

Feel free to add me.