NSV: Halfway through the C25K

Options
KrazyAsianNic
KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
The past 4.5 weeks I have been doing the C25K. Yesterday I completed W4D2! This a huge success for me because I can never stick to anything. I have tried starting the C25K multiple times in the past within the past year and couldn't even make it through W1D1. And here I am ready to finish Week 4 tomorrow.

I never thought I would post anything here until it was major progress, but I decided to post this NSV on the success thread because I have found that I have motivated a lot of my friends, and they keep telling me how inspirational I am to be pushing through this program. And since I am a person who has tried everyehing and stuck with nothing before... EVER.

My name is Nic, and this picture was taken the day I turned 24 years old. It happened to also be the week before I started the C25K program. I get out of breath doing normal daily things and have knee problems.
[img]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y433/krazyasiannic/Weight Loss Journey/mebday_zps9a06199d.jpg[/img]

I weighed in at 269.3 pounds. The first week of the program, I gained weight and reached my new highest at 270.7 pounds. During the first week, my knees really acted up. They hurt during and after the program. That first Friday they hurt so bad after that I had to ice them when I got home.

The second week I lost the same amount of weight I gained the previous week and was back down to 269.3 pounds. My knees did get a little better this week. They only hurt while I was jogging during the program, but were fine by the time I finished my stretching.

The third week, I gained half a pound. I kept myself optimistic because I have been following this program really well. My knees stopped hurting during the runs. Now, my calves and shins would be on fire as I ran and until i was able to stretch them out. Below is a picture of me after finishing Week 3.
[img]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y433/krazyasiannic/Weight Loss Journey/CAM00218_zpsaacc8744.jpg[/img]

This is the fourth week, and it has been rough, but I have seen a totally different side of me. I see a girl who hates pain push through it to accomplish her dream to complete this program. I have no more pain in my knees, and they don't even hurt when I get up from the floor or walk up stairs anymore! It's amazing how 4 weeks of walking and slow jogging (practically in place) has helped me improve my knee strength. I honestly didn't think I could make it through W4D2. If it wasn't for my boyfriend doing it right next to me an motivating me to keep pushing because we were almost done, i probably woulnd't have finished it. But I'm so glad I did. It was weird though, During the run I kept thinking, "I need to stop! My calves are on fire and I can't do this!" and then I would hear, "Sheesh Nic! You're always giving up on yourself. You know yo ucan go the x amount of seconds that's left but as soon as pain hits you, you give up! PUSH!"

I have not weighed in yet since I weigh in Fridays, but I'm hoping for a small loss. I won't be sad at a small gain though, because I know my body is starting to grow muscle and become stronger and more fit... which is a main goal of mine!

I currently log this as however many minutes I'm walking and however many minutes I'm jogging (this week, 16 minutes jogging.. Walking varies). However, Today I ordered a Fitbit and I await impatiently for it to arrive in the mail next week so i can start seeing truly how much I burn.

No matter what your size is or how much you weigh, I believe everyone should give this program a try. Just take one day at a time and see where it leads you. Everyday I tell myself, "Just get through W#D#." It hasn't happened yet, but if I cannot complete a day as it is spoken in my ear (I use the free Zen Labs C25K along with Charity Miles), then I will repeat that day until I can.

Trust the program and you'll be amazed at how far you can go.

Thanks for reading, and best of luck to those who want to start the C25K.

Replies

• toothwalker_
    toothwalker_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for posting this, I just started a C25K program and I too have knee problems that hinder my running, but I'll just remember your progress when I want to throw in the towel :)
  • Sandylovesm
    Sandylovesm Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    keep up the great ork, you're doing amazing!
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Great post and great work! Happy for you!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You go girlfriend!! I'm sure you inspired a few folks to get up off the couch and hit the trail or treadmill. I'm on Wk6D1 and I know it takes guts and determination to follow thru--and you've got that and more! Git 'r Done! BTW have you signed up for an upcoming 5K yet?
  • shamrockit
    shamrockit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment...keep it up!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    Options
    You go girlfriend!! I'm sure you inspired a few folks to get up off the couch and hit the trail or treadmill. I'm on Wk6D1 and I know it takes guts and determination to follow thru--and you've got that and more! Git 'r Done! BTW have you signed up for an upcoming 5K yet?

Yes! I'm doing the 5K Neon Run June 8th
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    keep going..a 5k is closer than you think! you can do IT.
  • mfultz0429
    mfultz0429 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just finished W4 D1 today! It really is a great program but not EASY! Keep going!!!
  • BexleyGirl
    BexleyGirl Posts: 102
    Options
    Wonderful....keep it up.
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You're doing it!!!
  • KaeChelle77
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great testimony! I just finished W1D3, however my jog is more of a brisk walk and my brisk walk is a slow walk. I will get better though. My husband signed up for a 5k May 18 and after some hesitation, I decided to sign up too. I will probably walk the whole thing, but what's important is that I will finish.

Congratulations on your progress! Very inspiring! :flowerforyou:
  • KrazyAsianNic
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great testimony! I just finished W1D3, however my jog is more of a brisk walk and my brisk walk is a slow walk. I will get better though. My husband signed up for a 5k May 18 and after some hesitation, I decided to sign up too. I will probably walk the whole thing, but what's important is that I will finish.

Congratulations on your progress! Very inspiring! :flowerforyou:

That's great! I am actually considering after my 5K and neighborhood 4K of redoing the program so that I can work on picking up more speed. Whatever works, you are still doing it!
  • chelsearosess
    chelsearosess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What an inspirational story. I'm so happy that you are pushing yourself to reach these goals! Congratulations on being so close to finishing week 4!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Great progress! Keep up the good work! I completed this program last summer and know exactly how grueling it is to get started but you will be amazed at where it takes you if you want it to. I remember how hard the first miles actually were but now, not quite a year later I can be found out running 8 miles with my dog every other day. C25K is where it all began. You CAN finish this!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! WTG!

I am starting this program Monday and am nervous. But I am going to try!
  • breajohnson
    breajohnson Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i am doing the c25k program as well but i have been in week 1 day 1 for 2 weeks. I cant seem to regulate my breathing. I am gasping after the first 60 sec run. is there a trick to this or is it something i have to learn as i go?
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So happy for you! Your story definitely gives me encouragement. I'm on week 2 and have been looking ahead at the weeks to come and questioning my ability to complete them, but if you can do it so can I! Keep up the great work!:smile:
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great post and you're awesome for fighting through it. That's the one thing I hate about running, how mental it is. It's so easy to just say you can't do it and get off. It's a constant war. When I was running on the treadmill, if I had my incline at 2 and my brain decided I needed to lower it because it was too hard, I started saying "Oh yeah? You want to LOWER the incline? Well guess what, b!tch. You're raising it!" And then I'd move it to 2.5. And it felt amazing. It's shocking how far your body can go if you can stop your mind from shutting it down.
  • nmn2
    nmn2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You'll love your fitbit btw, I got one recently and it's super helpful and motivating! Add me if you need some friends and keep up the god work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!