my hair sucks!

Options
2»

Replies

• Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've always had great luck with Biosilk Silk therapy. Seriously, I've been using it since high school and my hair is almost always shiny and smooth and I have that horrible teenager hair still into my 30's. This stuff is amazing, pricy but definitely worth the $.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Take biotin, as a supplement, along with coconut oil. You can also use the coconut oil as a mask. I'd also go with a good sulfate free shampoo/conditioner like Pureology. Stay hydrated, and eat the "beauty foods" -- http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/top-10-superfoods-for-skin-and-hair/

Good luck! :)
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!! I am getting great advice right now. I was so tired of people telling me not to wash it every day, because that doesn't work for everyone. Just like weight loss tips, right? I will go and get a decent trim, and then stock up on masks and other goodies. :smile:
  • SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    coconut oil, argan oil and olive oil are the best ! I have short hair, but I deep condition my hair every week with a mix of these oils and one egg yolk, that I keep on at least for 3 hours. Also after every wash, I flip my head down and put argan oil on my ends, mixed with a heat protactant, in case I wanna straighten my hair or curl it... but I let it air-dry most times. Also once a month, instead of shampooing it I will use a clay cleanse " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngX_ZdwQSk0&playnext=1&list=PLEF6C473D1E94BA51 " .
    Most important tip for healthy hair, and I'm not saying this will help your hair, but it will prevent it from growing to be damaged : not using drugstore products ! prefer using natural products I have a thing for Lush hair products, they're really good, most of the time vegan or vegetarian, and organic ! So that's my advice to anybody, I find that over the years it has really made a difference for me !
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MelisMusing
    Options
    Interesting article here....

http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/2011/08/hair-products-i-use-on-daily-basis.html

I know you don't want to cut it... but a really good trip will do wonders :)
  • MelisMusing
    Options
    I have a lot of hair/beauty links here - take a look. http://pinterest.com/melismusing/beautylove/
  • MelisMusing
    Options
    I have a lot of hair/beauty links here - take a look. http://pinterest.com/melismusing/beautylove/
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest a solution?
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I do put some balsm(sp?) on my hair after I'm done washing my hair. It puts some shine on my blonde hair.

Is your hair bleached? I really hoped the Morrocan Oil would help, but it doesn't seem to. And leave-in conditioners make my hair greasy and heavy.

No, it's all natural.

What I do is I don't dry my hair right away. Right when I get out of the shower and dry my hair with a towel, I always pull my hair into a low ponytail and leave it there for 30 minutes. For whatever reason, if I dry my hair right away, my hair tends to frizz pretty easily and having it in a low ponytail tends to help minimize the frizz.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Conditioners and serums coat the hair and build up over time causing exactly what you describe. Get a clarifying shampoo and wash from scalp to tips at least twice. Follow with a deep moisturizing treatment. If you don't have anything else, let your hair soak in your regular conditioner for about an hour under the shower cap with heat or a wool hat over that.

Hopefully your hair will be good as new after that! Good luck. Coconut or olive oil treatments just before washing are very beneficial as well.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Use some deep conditioner. I use Neutrogena brand. Its affordable and it works pretty well on my long hair.
    Also, you probably shouldnt wash it every day. I wash mine every other day. I know it sounds silly but on the days I dont wash it, i rub some baby powder into my hair, and then brush it. It makes it feel and smell more fresh.
  • KenosFeoh
    Options
    Conditioners and serums coat the hair and build up over time causing exactly what you describe. Get a clarifying shampoo and wash from scalp to tips at least twice. Follow with a deep moisturizing treatment. If you don't have anything else, let your hair soak in your regular conditioner for about an hour under the shower cap with heat or a wool hat over that.

Hopefully your hair will be good as new after that! Good luck. Coconut or olive oil treatments just before washing are very beneficial as well.

P.S: My hair is nearly down to my legs, so I've had a lot of experience.
  • Shauncho49
    Shauncho49 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I heard sesame oil is supposed to be really good for your hair or something...my mom used to do this sesame oil treatment...I don't know if it worked..hell I don't even know why she did it... I just was bored and had something to say and people who may or may not listen although that last part isn't a requirement.
  • megansmith7487
    Options
    I love clarifying shampoo, but it's got a lot of sulfates that will dry your hair out even more. I would not give up the conditioner, they help provide moisture, and I would still recommend using a leave in conditioner, if they make your hair oily, just use it on the ends, and the portion that is bleached. I have spent tons of money on expensive leave ins, but Aussie 3 minute miracle is pretty great (and pretty inexpensive)
    Currently, I am using a Moroccan oil based conditioner after I shampoo, and about once a week I have been using a Moroccan oil deep conditioning mask. I also used a Kerapro (that is the brand name) treatment once, and it made a considerable difference.

I know you say you don't so without shampooing, but if I know that I am not going anywhere or doing much the next day, I will try to skip shampoos as often as possible and just wear it up.

**My pics need to be updated, I don't have the red anymore, it's been bleached (double processed) since then so I have had to put a lot of work into keeping it healthy.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Since I'm 1/8 black and 7/8 Chinese ... My :noway: hair is all faked up... Sort of straight hair but with curly Afro tints here and there!
  • KenosFeoh
    Options
    True story - clarifying shampoo can dry out your hair, but you will need either it or baking soda to cut through the buildup. Trust me on this one. If you feel better about baking soda, make a solution of 1 tablespoon baking soda in 1 pint of warm water and pour slowly through your freshly washed hair. Then massage with fingers or comb through with a shower comb. Then rinse. Do this at least twice.

Clarifying shampoo has never dried out my hair as much as baking soda, but I know people who will say the opposite, so it's your choice. But you are going to have to get that buildup off before your hair can absorb the good stuff from deep conditioning.

Always follow either clarifying or baking soda with a deep moisture treatment.

This is how much I know about taking care of a lot of hair:
    splatterviolet.jpg

P.S: Violet streaks courtesy of Manic Panic.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd get a trim, and try changing up what you do to it. I use "It's a 10" every other day. I used to use the conditioner every time I washed, but it stopped helping. Now I just use the "for blonde" spray, and only right before I blow dry.

Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo once a month, because product tends to build up over time which might be the culprit. Shampoo from your scalp to a little below your ear, and condition from that part down. Every other wash or so wash the bleached part.

Going without washing might help, but you said you aren't a fan. Your hair takes awhile to adjust from every day washings to every other day washing. Try spot washing it instead of washing the whole thing - wash your bangs, or the front part, or try just putting your hair up.