Need some POSITIVE opinions!

Options
Hi there,

I started MFP in January of 2013 at 167 pounds. I set my calorie intake at 1200 calories. I am currently weighing in at 146.

I am 5'5 - 146 pounds. I would like to be 130-135. Not a huge loss left to go.

I try to exercise as much as possible but that seems to not add up to very much.. 3 times a week of walking for about 30 minutes.

I am wondering if I should increase my calories or what some of your opinions may be.

Please no negativity towards 1200 calories. I wasnt finding myself to be hungry at the beginning but am find myself more and more hungry as the months pass. It did work for me but am looking to make a change.

Replies

• samhurlburt92
    Options
    If you would like to take a look at my diary, please send me a friend request.
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm darn near the exact same as you- 5'5 & 149- goal at 135. I have my calories set to 1600 to include my exercise but generally only end up around 1400 or so. I've decided to try the macros approach and get more protein in my diet and just go with that and more veggies in general. Perhaps try to go off this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0 With so little to lose we just need to avoid water weight loss only. Way to go on the loss so far!

At 1200 I'm hungry but at 1400 I'm struggling to try and up that at all.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I think you look WONDERFUL! I'm very impressed with the "new you". It is obvious you have worked hard and did all that was necessary to get you where you are now.

Have you considered other forms of exercise, to switch things up? I do Zumba and the recumbent bike. I find the Zumba works all my muscle groups (for toning), and the bike really helps burn the calories (and gets my lower body). Walking is great for the body but may not be enough for fat burning.

Be careful about your eating, and try not to get too obsessed over a number on a scale.

:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I would increase if I were you. I'm shorter and lighter than you, and I can lose easily on 1500 a day. When you have less to lose (ie less fat stored on your body) it's better to have a smaller calorie deficit. Your body doesn't have a lot of fat stored now, and it won't realistically let go of it at the same rate as someone who is bigger. If you raise your calories a bit, you should find you have a bit more energy, and it will help you to preserve the lean mass you have as you lose the last bit of weight.

It is frustrating losing that last little bit because it goes so slowly, but at the same time, remember that a difference of a couple of pounds will be much more noticeable on you than someone who is bigger.
  • Melfleming1
    Options
    This is just my experience but thought I would chime in. I started in January at 1200 calories. I fought to lose a pound here and there. I struggled like that for 3 months. After tons of reading on MFP and lots of suggestions I decided to up my calories. By the way I was scared to death to do so as I did not want to gain anything back that I had struggled so hard to lose. I upped my calories to 1500. Number one, I felt better and number two, I lost 5lbs my first two weeks doing so! It is still hard for me grasp that eating more helps me lose but the numbers do not lie.

I hope you find what works for you!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Im in a similar boat. I am 5'4 and currently 145lbs. My goal is 138. I started at 1200 calories and my only exercise was walking. I lost 30lbs. I never felt hungry in 1200 calories and it worked fine for me. Then my body stalled. I upped my calories to 1430 to lose .5lbs a week. That worked too. My meals remained the same as when I was on 1200 calories. The only difference is I use those extra calories to eat more indulgent snacks instead of fruit and yogurt. I like the freedom of 1430. After 5 months at that calorie range I stalled again. I managed to lose 7 lbs during that time but I need to change things yet again. I havent figured out a combination of what I want to do to lose the final 7lbs but you can still lose weight and up your calories.

Since you dont have a lot left to lose set your calorie goal to lose a half pound a week which will give you more calories for the day. You'll lose weight just slower.
  • shutupandmove257
    Options
    Firstly, you look amazing!! Keep up the great work!! I feel you should increase a bit but not sure about all your stats. If you want more motivation or insight, feel free to add me. Just keep your head up and keep up the great work! :D
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your progress so far! As you probably know, I'm in the same boat as you, struggling with those last few pesky pounds - I've now reset my calorie target to my goal weight maintenance total and the weight's starting to come off again slowly but surely, and if I do put a couple of lbs on it seems to come off again pretty easily. According to bmi-calculator.net, your bmr is 1501.6 so I would definitely go for upping your calories - if you go to the bmi-calculator.net page, you can input your details and then have a look at your daily calorie needs based on activity levels and then decide what you want to shoot for. Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Awesome. As you near your goal its going to be impossible to do 2 lbs per week weight loss. I'd suggest re-assessing everything. BMR, TDEE, your goals. Try setting mfp to .5 lbs loss per week, or even go to maintenance for a week to give your self a little break before you go for the last little bit. :flowerforyou:
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    I wish I could lose that much weight with just walking a couple of times a week...so congratulations!! I saw a stall in my weight loss at 1200 calories so I bumped mine up to 1500-1700 and the weight started coming off again! I would also suggest adding weight lifting to your routine, not necessarily for a number loss, but it will cut and trim you like cardio never will!
  • samhurlburt92
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone for all of their kind words & wonderful support. It means so much to me!!

I have increased my calorie goal not by a whole lot but to 1290 (which is lose 1 lb per week) and will now be eating back my exercise cals.

I have taken the time to look at everyones profiles, you should be so proud of yourselves. What an amazing inspirtation you all are.

Thank you again!!

Sam
  • Charlixoxo
    Charlixoxo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm so pleased for you that you're so close to your goal!
    I am 5ft 2 and weigh 140 pounds and started at 1200 calories, but I wasn't seeing the results I wanted...
    So I very reluctantly changes my goal from 1200 to 1400 and was terrified I'd put weight on, but it was the best decision I made as I have been losing 2 pounds per week for the past 3 weeks now (along with walking and a few intense workouts)

It will make you drop the weight so much quicker, and make you feel like you have more fuel aswell!

Good luck!
    Xoxo
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 or thereabouts and workout roughly 3 times a week. Wholly sedentary job - I work from home so there's not even the commute. So yeah, up your calories, put in more resistance - even if it's just squats, lunges, press ups etc with bodyweight - into your 3x30 mins. Slower weight loss but more quality fat loss.

Oh and I'm 5'2. So, given you're taller, don't be scared about eating more. Find a TDEE calculator and let loose. Experiment for 3-4 weeks consistently before throwing it in. And most of all, have fun - cos what is life if you don't enjoy it?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I started MFP in January of 2013 at 167 pounds. I set my calorie intake at 1200 calories. I am currently weighing in at 146.

I try to exercise as much as possible but that seems to not add up to very much.. 3 times a week of walking for about 30 minutes.

I am wondering if I should increase my calories or what some of your opinions may be.

Please no negativity towards 1200 calories. I wasnt finding myself to be hungry at the beginning but am find myself more and more hungry as the months pass. It did work for me but am looking to make a change.

great job so far. how bout your bf percentage?

id take a look at that to get a good idea of how many pounds left on you are actual body fat, keep in mind you dont want to get to 2% or anythng lol. perspective.
    best wishes
  • ergumm
    ergumm Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would never knock your 1200 calories! When I joined mfp, they set my calorie intake to 1200, so it can't be that bad! Do what works for you! I'm sorry I'm not much help with what you should do now, but hang in there! Determination is half the battle!
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think you need more cardio/ high intensity exercise. Try walking faster or jog/walk intervals. Or try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It is only 30 minutes and I've seen amazing results with it.

If you are really hungry, then you might want to bump up your calorie intake a little more. But try to bump it up with fruit and veggies instead of junk.

Another thing that has helped me is limiting the carbs after lunch and also exercise in the morning instead of (or in addition) to evenings.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

great job so far. how bout your bf percentage?

id take a look at that to get a good idea of how many pounds left on you are actual body fat, keep in mind you dont want to get to 2% or anythng lol. perspective.
    best wishes

Agreed stop looking at the scale, you've already dropped 20 lbs. Check your body fat percentage. When body fat % drops below around 15% in women they start having health problems; hormones, changes in menstraul cycle, menstrual cycle stopping.
  • mcg6242
    mcg6242 Posts: 84
    Options
    I am in a similar situation, I am 5'4 and started in Jan. 2013 weighing 167. I am currently at 149 and my overall goal is to be at 130! I started with the insanity work out and at 1200 calories I did not have enough energy, I then started eating 1500 and it really helped. Since insanity is over I now workout six days a week and only eat 1400 Calories and it seems to be working. I don’t always eat all my exercise calories back but I try. It seems to be working for me, so I would say try upping your calorie intake and see if that helps. I wish you good luck, Feel free to Add me if you would like! I am on everyday and love having MFP friends who are trying to reach about the same goals as me
  • beersrod
    beersrod Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, very interested in seeing what you all have to say..I'm 5'4" and my goal is 130 weighing in at 144...
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My daughter (she's 18) has very similar stats to yours, and she's been doing well on about 1500 calories. Some days she eats a little less, some days a little more. She's lost 10 pounds in 2.5 months. When she kicks up the cardio, even when she eats those calories back, she seems to have better results. She also has better results when she's consistent. A high-calorie day once a week or so works for me, but it tends to take her a lot longer to recover from it and start losing again.