TRUE opinions (pics included)

Options
2»

Replies

• ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have noticed both in real life and here on MFP that a lot of younger girls think because they have some flab around their midsection they need to lose weight. I have a close friend who is 5'6 and weighs 125. She has a bit of mush from having two babies and is on a diet to lose 20 pounds. Mind you she can wear a bikini and not look bad.

No you don't need to lose 32 pounds. What you need to do is pick up some weights and do some cardio and firm that mess up. You could lose 32 pounds and still have that stomach. IN fact the weight loss alone could make it look worse. Find yourself a good work out program. Beach body has quite a few and start there. Good luck to you.
  • Coach_T
    Coach_T Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You look a little overweight, but far from obese. Focus on proper nutrition, a reasonable calorie goal, and take up lifting (everyone suggests this because it helps 100%). Focus more on losing inches, not weight.

This is my honest answer.

You are close to a very toned body but you still need some work. I agree with ^^^^^^^
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You could look like a fitness model with a couple of months hard work.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You look like you would look a lot better if your bra fit.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

^^

Ahem.
  • Arazante
    Arazante Posts: 12
    Options
    It's hard to tell based on a photo focusing only on your torso.

I agree words like "chubby" are harmful and pointless. It's also pointless to obsess over numerical pounds- you appear fairly busty, and you may have to accept the reality that your chest size is going to add 5-10 pounds extra on you than another woman of your size.

I have a hard time being set on my advice to you, because of the pictures and the panties/thong you are wearing are accentuating areas of your body that, they originally design clothes on models' bodies which are void of any fat and starving, so if you have any healthy or non healthy fat, it's going to hang over/around differently and bring attention to an area that may otherwise look perfectly fine in a different set of clothing.

So, that aside, based on the photo, I agree and restate generic advice about toning (yoga and Pilates are amazing for stomach/butt/thigh toning) and weight-lifting and possibly eating. Jogging/walking is one of the most sure-fire ways to reduce fat on the stomach, and good, proper crunches will tighten the muscles to give you a more "cut" look.

Make sure you are calculating what you are eating. You may be getting more bad fats, salt, bad cholesterol, empty calories that are keeping you from losing more fat than you want to.

If you can find a way/machine to do this, take your body fat percentage and see how it matches up for someone your age/height/weight.

Also remember that your body is genetically prone to be what it is- you can't be a particular body. If people keep telling you that you aren't fat, why are you looking for people to beat you up like you beat up on yourself? That is not the way to get healthy, by sacrificing one aspect of health (your mental health) for a certain body.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I really hate these loaded questions. Shall I be honest? Shall I be delicate? Shall I offer sound advice or will it be misconstrued as criticism/fat shaming? So much conflict.

My advice -- DON'T put photos of yourself dressed in barely nothing, on the internet and ask people to give you their opinions.

Some may think it's okay, but others might think it is desperate and trashy. If you want opinions, email your pics instead to people you know and can trust.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not obese (aside: I'm starting to thing that word is being misused, I'm hearing a lot from girls who are barely overweight). And you definitely don't have 30+ pounds to lose... What you need to do is focus more on eating healthy and exercising to tone up your body as others have pointed out. Check out the link below...it's not all about what you weigh on the scale but about your body composition:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

^^

Ahem.

CASE IN POINT. I'm sure we will hear "but this wasn't about my bra not fitting!" Which opens a whole new can of shaming, doesn't it?
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    8.5, would hit it wait, am I on the wrong thread?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You look a little overweight, but far from obese. Focus on proper nutrition, a reasonable calorie goal, and take up lifting (everyone suggests this because it helps 100%). Focus more on losing inches, not weight.

This is my honest answer.

My thoughts exactly!

You are nowhere near obese.
  • apexgtp
    apexgtp Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    BMI number might surprise everyone. It really looks like you have a small frame which would really make your BMI go off the charts. You dont look fat and we all know BMI #'s are a joke.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree with these. Even mainstream stores like VS will help you figure out your real bra size for free. What they say might seem crazy, but if you go with it, you will find a sense of relaxation and comfort that you've never had before. Incorrect bra sizes can cause women alot of problems.

Not obese at all! I would focus on toning if I were you.

But FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMAN, get yourself fitted with a proper bra. You look like you're wearing 3 cup sizes too small!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    8.5, would hit it wait, am I on the wrong thread?

I don't believe so.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    BMI number might surprise everyone. It really looks like you have a small frame which would really make your BMI go off the charts. You dont look fat and we all know BMI #'s are a joke.

"Frame size" is not a variable in the BMI formula. It's height and weight only.

OP is clearly in the overweight range in BMI. Probably 40%+ fat.

My opinion is that she would be happier and more confident and look better if she lost weight. Hard to say how much. Probably about 30 pounds.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Re bra fitting, don't go somewhere that measures. Last time I got measured, I came out as a 38B (UK sizes). I left the store in a 34E. The maths is ridiculous. Go somewhere that knows how a bra should fit.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you need to work on toning. And it would really help if you had a bra that fit properly. The way that bra is...it looks like you're popping out when in reality, you just have the wrong size.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am new so I don't know what is normal for this board but here is my opinion.

This is a place where there are lots of women (and men) with body issues. This is a place where we go for encouragement and to feel good about ourselves. Regardless of your weight I don't find it to be encouraging to anyone who has a body issue to see some 18 yr old girl (if that is true) post pics of yourself in your undergarments. If you were looking for "TRUE opinions" you would have posted in yoga pants or booty shorts with a sports bra. I don't think (most) men (with body issues) would appreciate it if some guy came in here with tight fitting thong with his junk barely covered asking women to rate their body. (just my honest opinion about that whole thing) You might be a very nice girl and I could be reading this whole thing wrong, but I would be willing to bet there are a lot more people who didn't comment because they either felt sorry for you or it made them feel bad about themselves.

Regarding your question- friends in real life who say "you don't look that bad" are doing what most friends do. If you know that you are overweight that is all you need to know. This is the place for the honest answers and so you might be shocked that some people didn't sugar coat it.
    I wouldn't look at you and think you are obese- but that picture gave me other opinions about you or your body image that you may not have wanted people to know.