Advice for my pear shape/fat hips

Options
Hey.

Im 5ft7 and 135lbs. I carry a lot of my excess weight on my hips (see my pics). Its fat and not bone so i hope there is the potential to slim down these love handles. Can anyone offer some advice? I know you cant target a particular area but some advice would be great. I want to lose another 10lbs and tone up. Im currently only lightly active altho im a midwife and i spend 12.5hr days and nights constantly on the go, and will get the go ahead for exercise (following an op) in 2weeks. If anyone has any motivational pics of pear shapes that would be great too :)

Ta xox

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The bad news: search "spot reduce" on the MFP boards and get plenty of opinions, research, and advice from the MFP crowd telling you that you can't do it.

The good news: you're a girl, so you can wear skirts!
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I know you cant spot reduce - im hoping that in losing another 10lbs and becoming more active theyll reduce :)
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    why do you want to get rid of that greatness????? there are women out there paying and having stuff injected into them to get your shape.

you look great in my opinion
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Eat less, work out more. Within a year should see a change in "pear shape/fat hips"
  • nayla1984
    nayla1984 Posts: 17
    Options
    If those of " FAT HIP" I dont know what I would call mine...
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    if you want to look more sleek, start lifting heavy weights. squats for example.
  • bathony
    bathony Posts: 51
    Options
    squats, lots of them will tone up those lovely hips and booty :)
  • hmyers7
    hmyers7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try Pilates. I have the exact same body shape as you do. Pilates is repetitive and boring, but it is really slimming. I try to do the Winsor Pilates Leg Slimming workout about 3 times a week and it really does slim my thunder thighs :) It's on youtube if you want to try it.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You have a wonderfully sexy shape!

I'm not an expert but from what I've seen/heard/read/experienced, chances are you're proportions might just stay the same even if you lose more weight... but the good news is you have awesome proportions!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You asked the question, so I will be honest :)

If you want to have less fat on your body - you have to have less fat on your body.

I'm 5'4" and 130 pounds, so shorter but weight almost as much, but more muscular and without excess fat around my legs, thighs, hips. I'm competing in triathlons now, so having excess fat would be excess pounds to carry. It's my current goal.

It sounds like it is not the number on the scale that bothers you, but your particular body composition. Do squats, do yoga, lift weights, do lots of strength-training exercises. You can't target an area, you just have to lose fat all over. Some people have success upping protein and lowering carbs.

And you are not pear-shped, you are hourglass-shaped. I personally see nothing wrong with the way you look, but if you want to change something, then that's your business :flowerforyou:
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :) I will take all your advice on board.

I know i have a curvy figure that to some people would be great, but for me id love to slim down those hips so that means losing some fat! Squats coming rightup! Im also thinking of starting couch25k..
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Work your upper body.

I used to look very pear shaped, and once I started doing pushups, pull ups, handstands, etc and got strong on top, I look way more hour-glass. My measurements are definitely still pear (35-28-38) but they used to be (36-31-42) so I actually am changing shape!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You asked the question, so I will be honest :)

If you want to have less fat on your body - you have to have less fat on your body.

I'm 5'4" and 130 pounds, so shorter but weight almost as much, but more muscular and without excess fat around my legs, thighs, hips. I'm competing in triathlons now, so having excess fat would be excess pounds to carry. It's my current goal.

It sounds like it is not the number on the scale that bothers you, but your particular body composition. Do squats, do yoga, lift weights, do lots of strength-training exercises. You can't target an area, you just have to lose fat all over. Some people have success upping protein and lowering carbs.

And you are not pear-shped, you are hourglass-shaped. I personally see nothing wrong with the way you look, but if you want to change something, then that's your business :flowerforyou:
    [/quote

I agree from what I have read, seen, experienced.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add that I noticed when I was thinner that running made my hips and lower stomach get smaller very quickly. I did not keep it up though. I will have to start running again when I get thin enough.
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Running long distances (5 - 6 miles) up and down steep hills 3-4 times per week will help re-shape the thighs and glutes by providing a shapely muscle underlayment.

While the re-shaping is subtle, it is noticeable with time.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    lol I opened the thread thinking the worst. However honestly, based off your picture(s) I do not see any problem what so ever. There are threads on this forum about hips (positive, worship), men love them. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yoga and pilates should both be excellent for this.