What supplements do you take?

Options

Replies

• cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I take 2 g of Krill Oil (like fish oil but better, and I've had a huge change in cholesterol and lipids since going on it a year ago)

I take Vitamin D because I had a deficiency here a year ago, and try to avoid the sun since I live in Phoenix.

I take a general multivitamin gummy just in case it fills any other "gaps" that may emerge... rest gets pissed out anyway. The gummy part I take because I read somewhere it may help with skin elasticity in those losing weight. Even though the process of how gelatin is made is pretty disgusting.

I take calcium because I don't consume dairy and it's just generally smart.
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I used to try & take a multivitamine but it would make me feel sick....does anyone else feel sick after taking one?

Right now I just take iron during TOM
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Where can you purchase hemp oil?

Any health food store. I go to one about 20 miles away to purchase it. I think The Vitamin Shoppe even carries it now. If all else fails, Amazon is a good choice too:

http://www.amazon.com/Manitoba-Harvest-Hemp-Seed-Softgels/dp/B005NZ5T4Y/ref=sr_1_18?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366309646&sr=1-18&keywords=hemp+seed+oil

(though it seems to be cheaper at the manufactures website)
    http://manitobaharvest.com/product/6/Hemp-Oil-Soft-Gels-60/1000mg.html

You want to get cold pressed!

I would suggest checking out a local organic/health food store if you have one. I got my 60 day bottle of cold pressed hemp seed oil soft gels for around $8.99. You can also buy whole hemp seeds and eat them or hemp seed oil to use in cooking or to just take a tablespoon of.. maybe add it to your smoothie. I am sure heat would destroy it somehow. I haven't tried either of those though. Just the supplements.

Jen
  • wizwitch
    wizwitch Posts: 82
    Options
    BUMP
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I used to try & take a multivitamine but it would make me feel sick....does anyone else feel sick after taking one?

Yes!! It did me. During pregnancy and then after. I switched to Rainbow Light brand for this reason. No more problems!

Jen
  • foodie99
    foodie99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Women's one a day multi
    B6 (doctor recommended to help with my carpal tunnel, bonus that it helps keep metabolism up)
    fish oil (I think it' s the 1200 pill that requires two a day)
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Yes!! It did me. During pregnancy and then after. I switched to Rainbow Light brand for this reason. No more problems!

Jen

Thanks, maybe I'll try that. I worry about it because I'm not a huge fan of fruits & vegetables.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    5g Creatine
    2.4g Piracetam
    1.2g CDP Choline
    800mg Acetyl-L-Carnitine (e.g. ALCAR)
    400mg Alpha-Lipoic-Acid (e.g. ALA)
    100mg DHEA
    200mg L-Theanine (some days)
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin E
    B-12 Complex
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM (1000 mg)
    Omega-3/6/9 Fish Oil (2 softgels)

See http://www.Examine.com for a thorough discussion of the benefits vs. detriments of any of these.
  • mariekwga
    Options
    I have tried many vitamin supplements and have NEVER found one I could tolerate. Upset tummy, diarrhea, constipation, hives, itching, hot/cold spells.... I may be allergic to the sources they get the vitamins from, or sensitive to the trace chemicals that get in during manufacturing, no one really knows. Iron supplements were the worst, and I have always had a problem with getting enough iron even though I eat spinach every day, so my doctor finally told me how to use my BC pill to skip menses so my iron wouldn't deplete that way. ANYWAY, supplements have never worked for me. They have always been just one more batch of chemical pills I need to avoid if I want to keep my body and my health in balance.
  • zhybrid
    zhybrid Posts: 1
    Options
    multi-vitamin, fish oil, fat burners when dieting, creatine, and pre workout stimulates, however I cycle off of creatine and pre workout formulas. Whey as well but i don't consider whey a supplement.
  • rem10210
    rem10210 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Musclepharm - Armor-V Multi vitamin
    Now - Glucosamine & Chondroitin
    Gereric - Probiotic
    Vitamin C
    I also mix a protein powder into my greek yogurt and oatmeal breakfast for a little extra protein.

ETA. I highly recommend the musclepharm multi's! I used to have to take One-a-Day's with food or I would get an upset stomach and I have had no problems since switching. Also, according to a nutritionist friend hard packed vitamins and ones that are taken in one does don't actually get completely absorbed by you body. You end up either not breaking them down completely, or pissing them out.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    One a day multivitamin - active metabolism
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    One a day gummies for women.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I take children's chewy gummy vitamins because "grown up" ones make me SICK. Also, I take 2 Calcium +D3 chews a day. Probiotics at times (not all the time, tho).
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Melaleuca Vitality 6 (Which I love)
    AM Pack and
    PM Pack
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

Jen

Thanks, maybe I'll try that. I worry about it because I'm not a huge fan of fruits & vegetables.

They make me sick, too. Even if I take them with food. I have been just taking my kids gummy vitamins. I figure that theirs is better than nothing. I may buy some of the adult gummies :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Omega 3's
    Vitamin D with iodine
    Vitamin D
    DHEA
    "Genewize" (it's a company I'm affiliated with)
    Multi Vitamin
    CR Mimeic
    Super Zeanithin (eyes)
    Super booster
    Endothelial defense (heart)
    CoQ10
    Berry Complete
    Blueberry & pomegranate extract
    Bone Restore (calcium)
    Liver Efficiency
    Mega Benofetame
    Reishei extract
    5 lox inhibitor
    cumin seed
    super bio curcumin
    vitamin C
    low dose aspirin
    Rhodiola extract
    PPQ
    Metabolic Advantage (it's for thyroid issues which I have)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you're taking a lot of supplements, then you're not eating enough nutrient dense food. MORE (vitamins, minerals) doesn't always mean better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • radiantsunshine40
    radiantsunshine40 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try to do a workout at least 5 days a week...any where from a minimum of 30 minutes to 60 minutes!

Currently, I'm taking GNC Women's Active Vitamins, Spring Valley Fish Oil with Omega 3,6,9 and a generic brand of D3.

I am trying not to take too many pills....I must take ...allergy and decongestant.....and pain relievers occasionally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My wife's Scottish uncle always tells me...and you have to do this with a thick Scottish accent..."American's have the most expensive piss in the world!"

I take fish oil to help with my triglycerides and cholesterol and vitamin D because I'm deficient. I don't take any multi-vitamins anymore. I also supplement my protein with whey because I just can't eat that much chicken...also, it's something to drink besides water.