Dogs & ACL surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replys. You have given me a lot of great info.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i dont think your dog truly needs ACL surgery. Even if you tear you ACL you can rehab it and live a normal life and I would have to imagine that would be more true for a dog. Me thinks your vet is trying to rip u off.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Did the vet say that your dog had a complete tear or a partial tear? Can she bear weight on the leg at all? Did you go see an orthopedic vet for a second opinion?

I have a 12 year old lab mix who was diagnosed with a torn ACL about 5 years ago. One orthopedic vet wanted to do surgery immediately, but I wanted a second opinion. Second ortho vet said to wait 6-8 weeks to see if it got better. It did. Now you would never have known she had (partially) torn her ACL, other than the clicking sound from her knee when she walks.
  • Wen37
    Options
    She has a complete tear. She does not put weight on that leg at all. No, on hte ortho vet. I did not know there was such a thing. I will see if there is one nearby us. Thanks!
    Did the vet say that your dog had a complete tear or a partial tear? Can she bear weight on the leg at all? Did you go see an orthopedic vet for a second opinion?

I have a 12 year old lab mix who was diagnosed with a torn ACL about 5 years ago. One orthopedic vet wanted to do surgery immediately, but I wanted a second opinion. Second ortho vet said to wait 6-8 weeks to see if it got better. It did. Now you would never have known she had (partially) torn her ACL, other than the clicking sound from her knee when she walks.
  • Wen37
    Options
    That was one of my concerns too. I don't want to put her through the risks of surgery if she doesn't really need it and the Vet just wants my hard earn money.
    i dont think your dog truly needs ACL surgery. Even if you tear you ACL you can rehab it and live a normal life and I would have to imagine that would be more true for a dog. Me thinks your vet is trying to rip u off.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Need some advice. My dog has ruputured her ACL. The Vet says she needs surgery to repair it. I'm really worried about this because #1 she does not do well with anesthesia. They had to revive her when we got her fixed and the Vet said it was touch and go. Scary!! #2 She has seizures and is on a lot of meds to keep them under control. I'm really worried she would not survive the surgery.

So, my question to you is. Does anyone have dogs that have ruputured their ACL and healed on their own? She is a medium size Husky. She weighs about 38 lbs. I saw some stories on the internet about small breed dogs healing on their own. I'm scared for her and just don't know what to do. Thanks for any advice.

My 6 yr old pit bull has had it done on both her hind legs about a year apart. When she was first diagnosed, we waited a while to see if she would heal without surgery and she didn't. I couldn't stand the idea of her being in pain or potentially losing her ability to run. She is now our bionic dog and doing beautifully.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Most importantly....what does your dog mean to you? THIS answers your question.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    My sweet smooth coat collie blew out her right ACL playing fetch. (She brings back anything I throw - tennis ball, frisbee, stick, etc...)

Her surgery went fine. She hated the no-lick collar of shame. She healed. We started running and playing again...and WHAM! She blows the other one while we were on a run! I thought at 50 pounds she was a medium sized dog, but after carrying her furry dog butt a mile or more back home, I decided a 50 lb dog is gigantic. Second surgery also went fine, but she doesn't run anymore. :(