What do you eat before training?

Options
2»

Replies

• joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    Some peanuts or a banana. Both are quick and easy for me to grab along the way.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I do my workout when I get home from work every day, so I have a snack around 3:30-4:30...today it's greek yogurt with granola and blackberries. I'll have some fruit or chocolate milk after my workout if it's going to be a while until dinner.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im a big fan of protein shakes or workout/carb drinks. They arent heavy in the stomach, provide a good mix of protein/carbs, easily have 16 ounces of water, and can be mixed with sugar free syrups to provide lots of flavors. If I want extra nutrition I can add various fruits, milks, veggies, fiber powder, etc. Extremely versatile and easy.

This I haven't tried. I'll pick some up this weekend. Any one you like more than others?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    1/2 banana. i eat breakfast and a protein shake right after my morning weight lifting sessions.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I love a small bowl of cereal with milk as a snack about an hr to an hour and a half before a workout. Which doesn't happen often. Peanut butter with celery or a banana or apple are a good source or energy too. Or string cheese and an apple. Think a carb and a protein to help power you through. Also, this may sound gross but it really isn't bad... a half scoop of whey protein (any flavor), oatmeal, and about 2 Tbsp of water, mix together with some blueberries make into patties and freeze for a pre-workout or post workout snack. Good luck!
  • Mslibb
    Mslibb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to have a banana before my weekend workouts - the sugary energy hit is great and I can go much harder and longer than I could on an empty stomach or some other snack/meal.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I wish I could train in the morning or not long after a meal, energy/food wouldn't be an issue then. I leave work and go directly to my gym, train for about an hour and then I'm home just before 8pm. So I'm looking for suggestions to bridge lunch and dinner.

I don't think I could make it through drills let alone sparring on an empty stomach. lol

I'm similar, work, gym, home & shower by 8pm. My current "workout" snack which I eat about an hour before is a half serving of dark chocolate M&Ms and half serving of lightly salted almonds. Maybe not the best use of calories, but other things I've tried (straight almonds, yogurt, cheese) tend to make me feel sick to my stomach. I do a cross-fit type circuit training class.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    whiskey

Winner! lol
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do this!
    1 cup (227g) Fage 0% Greek yogurt
    1 packet of stevia
    37g Whey Isolate (Vanilla)
    1/2 cup strawberries

Mix up first 3 ingredients until smooth and then add strawberries.
    1 hr prior to workout
    15 minutes prior VPX NO Pre Workout or any other stimulant you like.
    Drink tons of water
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning.
    I usually eat a banana, because if I don't eat I get really dizzy at the gym.
    It's not too heavy to give me side cramps or anything, but it has some carb and sugar to fuel my workout.

I drink about 24oz of water during/after the workout. Protein shake as soon as I get home.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Two cups of black coffee with a teaspoon or two of cinnamon and a nice spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Two cups of black coffee with a teaspoon or two of cinnamon and a nice spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder.

Lawd, that sounds goooood!
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    i work out straight after work, if i am hungry, before i leave work i sometimes have a fruit smoothie- just a little one, ( very rarely), and have lots of water during my workout. when i get home i have a protein shake and later on my dinner.
  • smartin0181
    smartin0181 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always eat before working out!! I have read on one of these forums that you should eat something before working out, because your body will burn muscle instead of fat. And if you eat first it will help to burn fat. I wish I could quote where this came from. Even if its an apple or a bowl of cereal. Get some substance first. : )