Kids hungry after school lunch . . .

Options
Monroe07
Monroe07 Posts: 21 Member
Hi, sorry I know this is unrelated to weight loss, but when I had a question about my diet people were so helpful and knowledgeable on the subject I thought they might be able to help me with this as I can't find a definitive answer on the web. . . . I am involved in making school lunches healthier for the kids at our primary school. Since our change of menu (which now includes better meat, more fresh raw vegetables, more wholegrain and less refined products) parents have been complaining that their children are coming home more hungry. I know part of the reason is the kids are leaving a bit more on their plates as they get used to the new menu (but this is slowly getting better), but some one has suggested that we should include more carbs to fill them up. We already have a standard portion of carbs as far as I'm concerned and the lunchtime staff tend to encourage the kids to eat the carbs more than anything else if they're trying to leave the table without eating much (as they think this will fill the kids up and also because they are plain and most kids will eat them without a fuss) but i thought that it was protein that did a better job of Keeping kids fuller for longer. Id really appreciate it if anyone help clarify. Thanks

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Calories is what they need. The healthiest possible high calorie meals.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If the kids are primarily eating carbs (no matter what kind...all are digested as/broken down into sugar), then they will definitely end up hungry by the time they get home. My kids don't eat school lunches, but in the ones I pack I try to include some sort of fat, too (cheese, whole fat yogurt, meat with fat, homemade full-fat ranch with veggies, etc). That seems to help a lot. I think the problem with almost ALL school lunches is the carb overload. When my kids have gotten hot lunches in the past, they've ended up eating something like bread, rice, and some sort of canned fruit. So bad!!
    Not sure what to suggest, but there definitely needs to be some good fats and protein in there, too. The hard part is getting kids to eat it.
    Good luck! I think it's great that you are involved in this project!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    They eat lunch around 12 and get home around 3:30-4:00, I assume. They should be hungry then and they should have a snack then. To keep their bloodsugar and energy up, they should eat every 3 hours, just like anybody else. The solution seems to be offer an afternoon snack not try to make their tummies so full at lunch that they don't have to eat again until dinner.

It also may be a problem of portion control. They may eat larger than recommended portions at home so when they get a proper portion for a meal, it isn't enough to make them feel "full" like they're used to.

As long as the meals you are offering are balanced with carbs, good fats and protien and you make it yummy enough for them to want to eat it, I don't think its your problem, even if it does end up coming back on you.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Calories is what they need. The healthiest possible high calorie meals.

Agreed. Kids grow at such a fast rate they need lots of calories. If you're replacing their packet of crisps and chocolate bar in their lunch box you're going to have to find 400cals from somewhere else. Carrot sticks wont quite cut it.

Look for good fat sources to give them. Cubes of cheese are good, nuts(if kids are allowed them), whole milk, mayo in sandwiches.....
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    here is what they have done at the school my kid goes to. They took out the deep fryers and replaced them with Broilers, they changed the menu around and have to have a fruit and a vegetable everyday. So far all it is doing is filling the trash cans with healthy food and the kids are picking and then going home to eat the food they like. Kids are tough they do not want to try new and healthy things, they want their old standby grilled cheese or burger or chicken nuggets. I do think getting rid of the fryers was a good thing, but they should be more creative like we are at home. mix some cauliflower into some mac N Cheese or mashed potatoes. offer the kids a lean burger or turkey burger, they do not know the difference or care, it is a burger. I am sure some will say i am way off base and a few might agree but it seems silly to put all this good food on kids trays only to see it go in the trash.
  • RunEatLift
    Options
    Look for good fat sources to give them. Cubes of cheese are good, nuts(if kids are allowed them), whole milk, mayo in sandwiches.....

^ Agree with this. Most of the foods mentioned here also contain protein.

Could you give us a few examples of what a standard meal looks like in your school?
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    here is what they have done at the school my kid goes to. They took out the deep fryers and replaced them with Broilers, they changed the menu around and have to have a fruit and a vegetable everyday. So far all it is doing is filling the trash cans with healthy food and the kids are picking and then going home to eat the food they like. Kids are tough they do not want to try new and healthy things, they want their old standby grilled cheese or burger or chicken nuggets. I do think getting rid of the fryers was a good thing, but they should be more creative like we are at home. mix some cauliflower into some mac N Cheese or mashed potatoes. offer the kids a lean burger or turkey burger, they do not know the difference or care, it is a burger. I am sure some will say i am way off base and a few might agree but it seems silly to put all this good food on kids trays only to see it go in the trash.

I am a teacher and the lunches served in my school are appalling! I won't eat them. Period. The thing is, most of the kids won't either. I live in Asia, so every day the kids are given about a cupful of rice. this is accompanied by about 1/2 C. of soup, which usually is a clear broth with vegetables. They get about a tablespoon of vegetables, and I do mean a tablespoon, some kind of meat or fish and sometimes an omelet, and usually fruit for dessert. I teach 8 and 9 year olds, and they never touch the fruit. Most of them don't usually eat the soup, but I tell them they must eat either the soup or the veggies. Today lunch was meatballs, commercial sauce with no meat of vegetables, and a portion of pasta instead of rice. They were also given some fresh carrots and cucumbers, and a portion of commercial dressing as a dip. The dessert was some kind of a soup made with black beans which none of them touched. Yesterday they had a deep fried chicken leg, precooked before it got to the school, some potato wedges, and a tiny banana for lunch. they are sometimes given milk with breakfast, but some of the milk here is sold sweetened, and that is what is served at school. Sadly, I recently read a statistic that said children in this country are worse off nutritionally than in the 4 poorer countries around us. So sad, when fresh fruits and vegetables are so readily available here all year round.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    From what I gather from these boards and from my own experience, protein does tend to keep you fuller for longer.

But it might be too expensive to up the meat and fish content and still keep it within budget. As you also say, during the transition phase, it might not be worth it either if it is only going to be thrown away.

Check all sources of protein - other good ones are - cheese, beans, eggs, yoghurt, milk, nuts (our school is nut free and presume yours is too so this is probably not a viable option) and seeds.

And keep doing what you are doing. The kids will get used to it and will love it. And in forty years, will thank you for it.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Well, Monroe, I have to say you have taken on the most difficult nutrition/kidlike challenge known to man.

Are you in the UK?
  • Monroe07
    Options
    Thanks. That was my thinking and when I'm around I always try to get the kids to eat their protein and veg rather than the carbs (if they are needing to be persuaded to eat). But wantd to double check my facts as others want to introduce more carbs not less and my knowledge on nutrition is purely what I've picked up from books or the web
  • Monroe07
    Options
    I agree but it seems some parents feel the kids are more hungry now after we've changed the menu even though by rights that shouldn't be the case as its definitely much better food. I was just tarting to question a bit what we were doing so needed a bit of reassurance. Thanks!
  • Monroe07
    Options
    Thanks all. Sorry, I've tried to reply to individual posts made but it doesn't seem to be working and my replies are all just at the bottom! Th school is in the uk. Previously the food was done by an outside caterer , brought in and heated up. Now it's cooked fresh on the premises using fresh veg and fruit, meat (often free range or organic thanks to a deal with the local butcher) and Wholemeal flour and brown sugar etc where possible. Wre slowly trying to integrate things like wholemeal rice (by. Adding it little by little to white rice at first) and we are trying to be creative about what we do and how we do it to get the kids eating. We are trying to tailor the meals to kids favourites but making them in a healthy way. Budget is always an issue plus trying to keep people enthused can be trying as it takes a lot more effort to do things the right way. But reading your comments encourages me to think we are on the right track. Hopefully its just A case of getting the kids eating more of the good stuff and not just the plain carbs. It is a bit of an uphill battle and far more work and effort thn I ever envisaged but I hope it does some good in the end. Thanks again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Kudos honestly. I wish all schools in the US did this!

I'm thinking it's just that the kids don't eat it, because they're used to eating junk. Maybe offer more proteins on the side, like yogurts or cheese. If they just eat the carb but have a piece of cheese, it won't be as bad.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry I know this is unrelated to weight loss, but when I had a question about my diet people were so helpful and knowledgeable on the subject I thought they might be able to help me with this as I can't find a definitive answer on the web. . . . I am involved in making school lunches healthier for the kids at our primary school. Since our change of menu (which now includes better meat, more fresh raw vegetables, more wholegrain and less refined products) parents have been complaining that their children are coming home more hungry. I know part of the reason is the kids are leaving a bit more on their plates as they get used to the new menu (but this is slowly getting better), but some one has suggested that we should include more carbs to fill them up. We already have a standard portion of carbs as far as I'm concerned and the lunchtime staff tend to encourage the kids to eat the carbs more than anything else if they're trying to leave the table without eating much (as they think this will fill the kids up and also because they are plain and most kids will eat them without a fuss) but i thought that it was protein that did a better job of Keeping kids fuller for longer. Id really appreciate it if anyone help clarify. Thanks

I think what you're doing is great! You're offering them protein, carbs and fruit/veggie, how about dairy? The fat/calories/protein combo in dairy might help keep them filled a bit longer too.

And kids get hungry between lunch and the end of the school day. Thats why they go home for an after school snack. My kids get lunch at noon each day (made my me, at home) and they need to eat again by 3pm. I'm hungry by 3pm every day, and I'm most definitly not a kid anymore.