I've lost over 20lbs and and still wearing the same jeans?

Options

Replies

• aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yep, denim is a flexible material. I have lost 19 lbs and I am just now starting to notice my jeans are looser and a pair that used to be skin tight fits okay now. But denim shrinks and stretches, so it's possible to lose a couple of inches and still be the same jean size. My jeans are now a tiny bit loose, but I'm swimming in my old pajamas, so there you go.

I think too sometimes we're in denial when we're bigger and it becomes difficult to buy properly fitting clothes or we don't want to admit that we're now a 22 and no longer a 20 so we keep buying 20s or whatever (not saying this is your case - I am speaking from experience, see above re: skin tight jeans that barely fit that I've had for years.) So it's possible that they actually fit now and almost kinda didn't before. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is also not the same as losing fat. ;)
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you've been washing them regularly (hopefully lol) they may have shrunk a little, too. Especially if they are 100% cotton.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 and dropped 2 sizes. But I think it's relative to how much you have to lose to begin with. I only needed to lose 30 so 25 was a significant chunk of that.

How much fat and water vs muscle you lose could also make a difference.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 and I'm still in the same pants. I have lost inches, too, and some of my pants are falling off me. But there are still some in the same size that I can't wear. I think it depends on the pants and your body shape etc. Hang in there and keep going!!
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh, I had the same experience! I think it's perfectly normal.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    For me it's 10lb a size.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It's really relative to how much you have to lose. If you have a lot to lose, you're not going to go down in pants size quite as fast because the belly area is a primary storage area...so your body is going to generally take fat from elsewhere at first. For me, it was my face, neck, legs, arms...everything but the belly. I've gone down one size with roughly 35 Lbs lost, but I only had about 45 total to lose. I suspect I'll go down one more size with this last 10ish Lbs as I'm definitely down to primary storage at this point.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My pants fit exactly the same as when I started. It really depends on your body type - where you carry your weight - where you lose it from, etc. I think once you get done to the smaller sizes you switch sizes quicker too. I'm estimating I'll go down a size around 50lbs lost or so. Maybe more? Guess it saves me money - I don't have to be buying new clothes all the time!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I had to get new jeans at 12 pounds lost, but I was wearing them loose. Tight clothes are too uncomfortable.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    According to my scale this morning I've lost around 26lbs and I am still wearing my same jeans I was at my highest.
    I would have expected to have dropped at least one size with 26lbs. They are probably a little looser but not enough to move down a size.

What the hell?

Also,
    How much weight did you lose before you dropped a pants size?

I had to lose a LOT to go down a size. The smaller you get, the faster the sizes drop. Took FOREVER to go from 26/28 to 24, but very little time to go from 20 to 18 and barely in 18s at all and now 16s are fitting for some brands. I'm sure I was wearing my pants too tight at my heaviest, and probably too loose for a while before I finally bought new clothes.
  • Nmorfitt
    Nmorfitt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds and had to get new pants. The difference is that I lost 6.5 inches around my waist alone. My weight did not change much but it changed from fat to muscle. I was actually pissed about the weight until I mesasured!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements of your waist before you lost the 26 lbs?
    Everybody is different. I lost about 35 lbs and went down about 3 jeans sizes - but I tend to lose a good portion of weight in my waist before anything else.
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this too. After losing about 18 pounds last year, just watching my calories and doing cardio, my clothes were fitting a little looser, but not enough to warrant a whole new wardrobe.

Since I started adding strength training to my regular routine this past January I have dropped about 2 sizes. I'm wearing bras that are about two cup and band sizes smaller and in pants I'm hovering between 1 and 2 sizes dropped, depending on brand and material. I have lost about 12 pounds since the beginning of the year, but the inches have been coming off faster than last year.
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It could be based on your pant fit, your height or where you're losing the weight. Personally, 10 pounds meant I'm was down 2 sizes.

The best thing to do is measure yourself. That'll give you a good idea of your progress.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I lost a pants size almost immediately. From a 28 to a 26 in a month. However, at my heaviest I could put the 26s on lay on the bed, zip, stand and want to pass out :D It took MUCH longer to go from the 26s to the 24s and 22s. I honestly for whatever reason skipped the 20s. I was just lazy and belted the 22s until I could fit 18s. Now I'm in 18s and at 212 they don't go on easily, 205 they're tight but zip fine, 199 they're not tight (where I am now) and 196 (where I was mid-March) they need a belt. I figure by 185 I'll be in 16s comfortably.

I think I read on this board that the bigger you are the longer you'll stay in one size and once you get smaller you'll move into each size with less weight loss.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm down over 20 and in the same jeans. The only thing that is big on me now are my bras darn it!!! The one place I wanted to stay the same....*sigh*
  • cmcoll2
    cmcoll2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm down 27 lbs and still wearing the same jeans, although I can see the weight loss it can be frustrating. Don't give up!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. I eventually realized that my jeans were way too small when I started out (even though I was still wearing them), and then that they finally became loose (but not enough for me to fit into this next size). Ask yourself if this is what happened to you & take pics going forward! They are a much better indicator of your progress. :flowerforyou:
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am wearing the same jeans now (at 192) that I wore when I started (at 251). They were tight then and baggy as all get out now but I can keep em on with no belt.

But on the other side of it, I can wear much smaller jeans than those. Guess my jeans fit a wide range of sizes!!