The parent in me is MAD!!

Options

Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree it's very sad. But we can't help them all. All we can do is be good examples, and try to instil a healthy relationship with food, body image and self worth into our own children.

This^^^ and try to give them good advice when they do post here....
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting is that while our country idolizes thin as beautiful, we continue to tip the scales as the fattest culture in the world.. Why?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I'm assuming there's an obesity problem over in Stockholm too? If I was a scout and most of my nation was obese, I'd look at ED clinics for models too. Fixing ED problems for skinny people is much easier than it is for someone obese and assuming this is a reputable modeling agency, they would have a personal trainer and dietitian on hand to help with her ED.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

I'm assuming there's an obesity problem over in Stockholm too? If I was a scout and most of my nation was obese, I'd look at ED clinics for models too. Fixing ED problems for skinny people is much easier than it is for someone obese and assuming this is a reputable modeling agency, they would have a personal trainer and dietitian on hand to help with her ED.
    bless your naive little heart!
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but what i'd say is at least they are here. There are plenty of less savoury websites and forums that would not be supporting them to life healthily. MFP is a great place to be when you need advice and guidance. I hope they read the posts, join the groups and in time understand that it's not all about starvation and being skinny, but about improving your health, your self belief and your life!

I know as a teen I was completely obsessed with image. I even thought not eating on the day I had a night out planned, would make me look better that evening! There's just no research or thought put in when you're that age.

I'm generalising here, I've actually also read a lot of very inspiring, level headed posts from late teens, early twenties, who really have their heads screwed on and have taught me a thing or two!
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Don't hate gorgeous models. Link below to Victoria Secret Dietitian

http://www.diet-weight-lose.com/celebrity/victorias-secret-models.php

http://victoriasecre-t.tumblr.com/TIPS
  • glovepuppet
    Options

purlease! i AM gorgeous. and slim.

vs models are a million miles away from euro catwalk girls.
    they've literally dropped dead from starvation induced heart failure at major shows.

your post smells a teensy little bit like... yes... smells like trolling! :laugh:
  • mumtheshopper
    mumtheshopper Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    They were brought up to not value self worth. They base their image on others opinions. No one was in there life that had the common sense to teach them the right way. They are damaged goods. Their minds are so warped that no matter how many times you tell them the opposite of what they think and believe it will never alter their self image.

If parent(s) would teach their children self respect and values this would not be an issue.

Unfortunately I'm not sure you can teach self worth and confidence. I have a daughter who constantly thinks she is stupid, fat, ugly, not worth knowing. She constantly bases her image on her conceived opinion of others, only listening to those that are nasty, those that tell her how lovely she is, including many of her peers, are, of course, lying to make her feel good! I am constantly praising her, she is extremely clever and academic, she is beautiful, she is over weight, though not massively so, and mainly due to comfort eating. I know she could be what others conceive to be perfect size and it would make no odds to how she feels. If there is one thing in the world I wish I could give her, it would be self confidence. I don't know what the answer is, whether I have made mistakes, whether is it just a genetic part of her personality.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

purlease! i AM gorgeous. and slim.

vs models are a million miles away from euro catwalk girls.
    they've literally dropped dead from starvation induced heart failure at major shows.

your post smells a teensy little bit like... yes... smells like trolling! :laugh:

No. You smell like a troll.
  • bluebirdlx
    Options
    We live in a society where thinner is better.

It's more attractive, it's more appealing, it depicts "health"

We also live in a society where big booties, large breasts, tanned skin and pin straight hair is appealing as well.

I'm not against all plastic surgery, but let me say that it's partly to blame for this problem. Women who are naturally very petite and thin can go get large breast or butt implants. This leads to a culture of worshiping women who's bodies are unnatural. On average, a woman with a naturally large bust and large hips and butt is not going to be waif thin.

Don't get me started on the fake tan, eyelashes, hair, nails etc.

What we need to be doing is promoting education and college degrees. Rewarding young women (and young men) for their educations and contributions to society. NOT for their wardrobes and bodies.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    We live in a society where thinner is better.

It's more attractive, it's more appealing, it depicts "health"

We also live in a society where big booties, large breasts, tanned skin and pin straight hair is appealing as well.

I'm not against all plastic surgery, but let me say that it's partly to blame for this problem. Women who are naturally very petite and thin can go get large breast or butt implants. This leads to a culture of worshiping women who's bodies are unnatural. On average, a woman with a naturally large bust and large hips and butt is not going to be waif thin.

Don't get me started on the fake tan, eyelashes, hair, nails etc.

What we need to be doing is promoting education and college degrees. Rewarding young women (and young men) for their educations and contributions to society. NOT for their wardrobes and bodies.
    and photoshop. that's the killer.
    the images girls look up to are literally impossible.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    They were brought up to not value self worth. They base their image on others opinions. No one was in there life that had the common sense to teach them the right way. They are damaged goods. Their minds are so warped that no matter how many times you tell them the opposite of what they think and believe it will never alter their self image.

If parent(s) would teach their children self respect and values this would not be an issue.

I'm not sure that 'eat a cheesburger, lol' and calling them 'damaged goods' is helpfull. People are so suportive with the overweight and so judgmental with the ones who have self image problems.

I was never overweight, but very close to it. Where I live, girls my age(~29) are very thin, a lot even underweight. Add that to the photo shop celebs and you'll feel fat for the rest of your life.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Half of me says they do it for attention and the other half says they're covering up something by doing what they're doing.

Speaking purely from my own experience and struggles, eating disorders are far less about wanting attention and far more about being unable to deal with difficult emotions and situations and therefore rationalising the negative down to a single controllable aspect. So you dont look at the fact that 'i feel xyz negative emotion or overwhelmed by something' instead you focus on 'the source of my problems is that i am not thin enough, if i get thinner then by definition the thing thats upsetting me wont happen or matter and i dont have to think or deal with it.

They are a coping and avoidance mechanism which in the short term appear highly effective (to the sufferer)... in the long term they stunt your emotional development and you never learn how to deal with things in a healthy way, you just become more and more reliant on your eating disorder to avoid the real issues
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    most anorexics seem to me to be trying to hide their issues, not trying to get attention. hiding food, baggy clothes, lies.

it's usually about holding onto some measure of control in a huge, scary, chaotic world. like the ocd cleaners or the workaholics.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Photoshop ughhhhh.. Kim Kardashian was never as thin as the magazines showed and now is not actually as thick as they show her either. Pregnant yes, but they are giving her weird porportions.. But everyday I see more teen girls checking out her cover photos.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Half of me says they do it for attention and the other half says they're covering up something by doing what they're doing.

Speaking purely from my own experience and struggles, eating disorders are far less about wanting attention and far more about being unable to deal with difficult emotions and situations and therefore rationalising the negative down to a single controllable aspect. So you dont look at the fact that 'i feel xyz negative emotion or overwhelmed by something' instead you focus on 'the source of my problems is that i am not thin enough, if i get thinner then by definition the thing thats upsetting me wont happen or matter and i dont have to think or deal with it.

They are a coping and avoidance mechanism which in the short term appear highly effective (to the sufferer)... in the long term they stunt your emotional development and you never learn how to deal with things in a healthy way, you just become more and more reliant on your eating disorder to avoid the real issues

Thank you! I wish people could understand that EDs are mental illnesses and NOT moral failings.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Thank you! I wish people could understand that EDs are mental illnesses and NOT moral failings.

Yea me too.... i don't think though that anyone who hasnt suffered with one can ever truly understand the madness. When i was first diagnosed my family doctor told my mother it was an adolescent power struggle and that i would just grow out of it if she ignored me. He then turned to me and said "besides you're not thin enough to have an eating disorder". With that level of ignorance coming from a medical professional, it's not surprising that the majority of people also don't understand it.

I can see how it could seem like attention seeking though - a lot of drama has always seemed to follow anyone i've known with an eating problem. But then the drama is because you actually cant deal with life in an adult way, everything feels like the end of the world most especially when you're malnourished and exhausted. Mostly though when i was really ill i just wanted everyone to bugger off and leave me to crack on with it. Im grateful that my friends and family refused though :)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Send them all a pm letting them know of your disapproval.
    hahaha
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    Some good insight on this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/928764-ladies-enlighten-me?hl=thesis&page=1#posts-14110542

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition