i have some questions about alcohol.

Options

Replies

• ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You're 18...where is it legal to drink at 18? :laugh: It was legal when I was 18, but it wasn't a very good thing.

But, in general, drink in moderation. Log it like any other food.

It's legal here in Norway man, i find it weird that everyone on these forums automaticly assume i'm American, ask first ;)

My husband is from Denmark, yes we Americans have a way of assuming. We are drinkers. and he is not happy my weight loss has hindered me from being his favorite drinking partner. On weekends I know we will drink I workout first and try to limit the intake. But as always there are the junk food calories you incur by drinking and not being in full control of your decisions! All the advice I get is if your trying to lose weight, don't drink! Best of luck to you.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    work your butt off and drink all you want,,, its pretty easy.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think your pint of guinness is a great idea - its a great drink. Wouldnt worry too much but keep your units at a maximum of 21 per week and fit it into your macros. Some alcohol is beneficial. I used to drink WAY too much (a bottle of red wine a night) now I dont even drink wine. I sip - slowly - a good double malt whisky with water on special occasions and savour it.
    Beer is somewhat more calorific, but if you can fit it in to your macros and keep the units down, why not enjoy your beer? I personally dont think it matters what time of day you have it, but probably NOT for breakfast!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's actually one of my goals in life to have a glass of wine every day :laugh:

Seriously though I usually have 5 oz. of wine with my dinner every day. I don't think it's hampered my weight loss any.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    First I suggest taking our "opinions" with a grain of salt. We're not experts in this.

Second, there is lots of info about this online.

Now...for MY OPINION...LOL.

I enjoy beer. My weightloss hasn't been affected by it. I usually have at least one beer everyday. I add it to my calorie tracker. My philosophy about alcohol...and most things...is "all things in moderation."

Good luck....and also...good question.:smile:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    One of the things I look forward to at the end of the week is a few cold ones, and occasionally a scotch or cognac. I haven't had any problems so far. Just keep things in moderation. And oh ya, like others have said, log it. Cheers :drinker: :drinker:
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 or 2 glasses of red wine a few evenings a week, as long as I'm within my cals and don't go way over. It's not affected my weight loss. And yes I have a few mad sessions once in a while. Who cares? Moderation I say.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You're 18...where is it legal to drink at 18? :laugh: It was legal when I was 18, but it wasn't a very good thing.

It's legal here in Norway man, i find it weird that everyone on these forums automaticly assume i'm American, ask first ;)

I love how everybody assumes :laugh:

It's legal at 18 where I live and other provinces are 19 years old. I think as long as you maintain a very healthy diet and lifestyle I don't see how drinking alcohol could be so awful if had in moderation. I rarely drink anymore and after being sick for almost two weeks it killed me to have about 9ish drinks over a 7 hour period, I couldn't keep anything down the next day when I woke up, but that is because tolerance is lower when you are sick or recovering and when you aren't used to drinking as well.

Best to start learning what you limits are before you reach them, get used to never hitting that limit and drinking to be social not to get drunk and I think you'd be 'A-OK.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love to drink, but when i wanted to really focus on losing weight I cut it out. I am now down to my last ten pounds and only drink 2-3 times a week and my progress has slowed significantly
  • skoecher45
    skoecher45 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband drinks beer all the time. He's 5' 11" and weighs the same as when he was in high school which is around 165 lbs. On an average he goes through a case a week. He's very active.

I, on the other hand, have to watch what I drink. I prefer the hard stuff and make my own wine. With alcohol I've acquired a taste for vodka/water with a splash or twist of lemon or lime. I can have 2/3 of those in one sitting. It's very low in calories. I've never been much of a pop drinker so the water isn't a problem.

My home made wine, on the other hand, is full of sugar so I have to limit myself to one 8 oz glass (it's either that or go without food).

Like everyone else I agree that whatever you do needs to be done in moderation.
  • alimauer
    alimauer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    OK, so everybody is going to say how horrible drinking is when you are dieting. I think you are in the clear? In my opinion you are young and you enjoy it. If you aren't going to give it up and you know that then just think about how you can incorporate the drinking with the diet. Which you have clearly already taken into consideration by drinking less frequently. I too also like to drink a beer now and again and although maybe it doesn't help. I think if you work it into your diet its fine. What I do is when I know I want to drink or go out with a few friends that night I will exercise maybe an extra 500 calories than normal. And I too enjoy beer over liquor. I went online and Googled light beer lists and a slew of them show up. Now all beers are high in calories. BUT one I found to be fairly light was Michelob Ultra Light. It has 4.4% alcohol and 64 calories per beer. And I always track the beer I drink. So i make sure my calories are still correct and in line while still enjoying a beer every now and again. I would suggest looking online to find one that would suit your interests, Just saying.....and i cannot be "creditable" for this last statement I will make. But last summer I turned 21 and I was also on a diet, I still lost 27 pounds in 3 months time. I was drinking because I was legal, Is drinking healthy, NO? In moderation I do not think there is a problem. I was drinking in moderation, and keeping track of calories for the beers I did drink. IN MY OPINION.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I think it depends on how far you want to go with improving your body? If you are just in it for the weight loss and generally getting fitter/looking slimmer than moderate drinking (and I mean moderate as in 1-2 nights drinking weekly, not 4-5 nights that some others seem to consider moderate lol) would fit in with losing weight. But if you are looking to look lean and have a low body fat percentage then personally I don't think alcohol every weekend is conducive to getting that look. It's empty calories and is basically a poison to the body. It's lovely stuff and tastes awesome but it's not gonna help you get cut unfortunately :sad:
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    I have drank throughout my weight loss. If it has hindered my weight loss at all, I certainly haven't noticed. Working it into calories is all I do. Though I do tend to choose the lowest calorie options drink-wise, and save higher calorie drinks like beer and wine for special occasions.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Having a drink every now and then is okay in my opinion. Its when we have one to many that our bodies cannot handle it. If possible plan for the drink ahead of time so that you can account for the calories.

If you enjoy a beer, you shouldn't deprive yourself from it or you will go overboard when you do.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like to drink occasionally, i used to drink every weekend, but now since i started working out and dieting, i only drink once every 2-3 weeks, so i was wondering how damaging it is? and how i can avoid gaining alot of weight by drinking, people here say "If it fits your macro, it shouldnt be a big thing" but how damaging is it really? i won't give up drinking because i like it (And mostly drink beer, so telling me to drink vodka with diet coke isn't helping me at all) so what can i do? and i was also wondering if it's bad to drnink after working out? i ussually workout before drinking.. Is this a bad thing? i also enjoy taking a pint of guinness in the shower after a long workout.

Sorry for all the questions, but could i get some help?

Just break up, troll

hmmm?
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is bad for your body in excess but has little to do with weight loss..
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Also legal in Canada, some places.
  • downeyek
    downeyek Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Recently, it seems, that more and more running clubs are popping up everywhere. These running clubs often meet at bars, run to bars, have case of beers after the runs...have cases of beers before the runs...etc! I got to thinking about this and actually found some articles about how social runners (who also drink socially) can be some of the biggest binge drinkers out there! AND they're suuuuuuper athletic and energetic. (Darn them!)

My point: Become a runner. Then you can drink all you want apparently. :-)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I like to drink occasionally, i used to drink every weekend, but now since i started working out and dieting, i only drink once every 2-3 weeks, so i was wondering how damaging it is? and how i can avoid gaining alot of weight by drinking, people here say "If it fits your macro, it shouldnt be a big thing" but how damaging is it really? i won't give up drinking because i like it (And mostly drink beer, so telling me to drink vodka with diet coke isn't helping me at all) so what can i do? and i was also wondering if it's bad to drnink after working out? i ussually workout before drinking.. Is this a bad thing? i also enjoy taking a pint of guinness in the shower after a long workout.

Sorry for all the questions, but could i get some help?

troll,troll,troll..
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    what's with the "troll" comments? Unless internetism definitions have changed, how is the OP trolling?