I keep going over ALL of my macros... is this a problem?

Options
So I eat pretty close to my limit since I feel that it is a bit low. I'm usually around 30 calories below my limit at the end of the day, but have been going over on my fats, carbs, and protein. I'm not concerned about protein, but at the end of the week when the extra fats and carbs add up, I'm wondering if these are going to effect me negatively. Do you consider the recommended amounts minimums or limits? I always try to reach my protein goal but feel that going over on fats or carbs is "bad".

Replies

• SabrinaLily
    SabrinaLily Posts: 121
    Options
    Very interesting. Someone more educated about food than myself may have a reason why this is happening. From my experience though, I am ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS over my sodium no matter what I eat in a given day. Other people have the same problem with sugar. I would think eating 3 donuts would automatically put you over your fat grams, for example, but keep you under calories. A strange phenomenon though considering that calories are calculated by grams.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm never been too concerned about my sugar. I always go over but it's only because of fruit. I hardly ever use sweeteners or anything. But my fats and carbs aren't from things like unhealthy snack foods, carbs are mostly from things like whole grains, brown rice, and fruits, with the occasional not-so-healthy bowl of cereal or something. And what usually sends my fats over is something like peanut butter, eggs, or almonds. I do eat cheese as a protein source as well so that's definitely contributing to my fat. But my diary is open and you can see that I'm mostly eating "good" fats and carbs, which is why I'm wondering if I should really be concerned? Plus I know that there's a range of recommended values and of course you don't have to eat the same exact amount every day. Those red numbers just make me anxious!
  • spaghetti93
    Options
    Really?? No one else has this problem? I find it hard to believe I'm the only one...
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    First, I thought I was going to see very large numbers over your intake. It's just a little bit over, and it doesn't matter if you get your nutrition facts from a label -- it's all a guess anyway. So you're fine and within tolerance of what you set.

Don't stress on some little number like that. If you're 30-50g over, then you can start scrutinizing your diet from day to day.
  • spaghetti93
    Options
    First, I thought I was going to see very large numbers over your intake. It's just a little bit over, and it doesn't matter if you get your nutrition facts from a label -- it's all a guess anyway. So you're fine and within tolerance of what you set.

Don't stress on some little number like that. If you're 30-50g over, then you can start scrutinizing your diet from day to day.

thanks for your response. I figure I'm probably overreacting since it really isn't that much if you look at it daily. I guess the red numbers just freak me out and make me feel like I'm doing something wrong..
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How can you be over on ALL your macros but under on calories? That makes no sense.

That said, look at protein and fat numbers more as targets to hit rather than to stay under. The number turning red makes it seem bad, but it's not really!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about it. It happens to me too but usually I'm under on one thing (I have my macros set differently though, more protein than yours), but I end up with red in carbs and fat and green in protein... so I get stuck.

I think it's just because some entries are inaccurate.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Your numbers look fine for the number of calories you are allotting. I don't know your current weight and height but your macros look normal and you are only going over by a little bit. I would consider the protein a minimum anyway. You might change the sugar macro to fiber since you eat a lot of fruit and monitor your fiber comsumption--protein and fiber really help keep you full when you are eating lower on the calorie spectrum.