Insanity and Muscle Pain

Options
I just started Insanity yesterday and did the Fit Test and this morning I could barely move. Every muscle in my body hurts. I've been going to the gym for the past 3 months and have never felt like this. I know it's a GOOD thing that I'm sore because I'm targeting all of my muscles and will hopefully see results with regular Insanity workouts and CLEAN eating. What things can I do to help alleviate the pain? Stretching I know helps, but should I also take Tylenol? I have a lot of shoulder and back pain right now. I have never worked out harder in my life. I am definitely going to continue but not go full force like I did yesterday.

Replies

• olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    I know I took plenty of hot baths and rubbed the tylenol pain relief medicine like Icy Hot.

Just try and push through the soreness as long as you are not hurt!
  • NotaNikki
    NotaNikki Posts: 40
    Options
    I just started month two, and Tylenol is my best friend right now. Keep pushing and take lots of hot baths/ice packs/Tylenol/whatever, but just remember to listen to your body and don't overdo it and hurt yourself!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am also doing Insanity and was very sore the next day....I was fine if I was moving....but if I sat for a long time....then stood up....I was so sore and muscles were so stiff...
  • SeanMurphy
    SeanMurphy Posts: 62
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. Don't cut clean protein with the idea of reducing calories. If your goal is to lose fat, then you will have to eat a reduced calorie diet, in accordance with MFP's recommendations, but ensure that a lot of your calories come from protein.

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) which occurs after a workout is the result of damage to your muscles which needs to be rebuilt to make the muscles stronger. If you don't have the protein needed to rebuilt your damaged muscles, the soreness will last a lot longer.

Other than that, stretching, drinking plenty of water, and all the other suggestions here are fine. Be careful with painkillers, though, they just mask the pain, and you could end up over doing it and seriously hurting yourself before you realize it.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Drink a protein shake afterwards to help with muscle recovery and take some ibuprofen for the pain. I literally crawled away from the TV after my first fit test and workout. By the end of the second workout, I could pull myself to a standing position and slowly hobble my way around the house. By the end of the first week, I definitely knew I had worked out but I could walk like I was 29 and not 92.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Other than that, stretching, drinking plenty of water, and all the other suggestions here are fine. Be careful with painkillers, though, they just mask the pain, and you could end up over doing it and seriously hurting yourself before you realize it.

Agreed. Don't take painkillers before your workout in hopes of preventing the pain. It's not worth risking an injury.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips. I do have the Myofusion Chocoloate Peanut Butter protein power and I love it. I do eat lots of protein - chicken and turkey burgers and some beef. I'm trying to eat more protein and less carbs.
  • amyfoldenauerdarrell
    Options
    I just started Insanity program, on day 3 and having a lot of muscle soreness. How long will this last? A week? Also, did anyone get good results after completing the 2 months? I just hope it is worth all the pain. I'm 42 and having a hard time keeping up with the 20 somethings on the dvd's.
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity program, on day 3 and having a lot of muscle soreness. How long will this last? A week? Also, did anyone get good results after completing the 2 months? I just hope it is worth all the pain. I'm 42 and having a hard time keeping up with the 20 somethings on the dvd's.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. It definitely helps to have Insaniacs who know what you're going through! haha

I almost didn't see this and then realized you'd posted on an old thread. But for me the soreness usually lasted during the 1st week - of month 1 and month 2. I'd recommend getting a good protein shake and having that right after your workout to recover.

I'm currently on my 3rd round, so I obviously think it's worth the pain. Do NOT try to keep up with the people on the DVD. Go at your own pace, take breaks as you need them, modify what you need to and just keep pushing. You will be able to watch yourself get better and do more each time you do a workout.

Take your measurements and lots of pictures (even if they pain you right now, haha) to document. I would have quit 3 weeks into my first round if I hadn't been taking my measurements and pics. The scale does not tell the whole story, especially with Insanity. Some people drop lots of pounds, but many people lose lots of inches/tone and your endurance will improve.

my round 1 results. I "only" lost 8 lbs but also lost 27 inches. Here is a pic

2nspr6.jpg

and I also put a video together on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRovgZdGj3I
  • amyfoldenauerdarrell
    Options

Feel free to add me if you'd like. It definitely helps to have Insaniacs who know what you're going through! haha

I almost didn't see this and then realized you'd posted on an old thread. But for me the soreness usually lasted during the 1st week - of month 1 and month 2. I'd recommend getting a good protein shake and having that right after your workout to recover.

I'm currently on my 3rd round, so I obviously think it's worth the pain. Do NOT try to keep up with the people on the DVD. Go at your own pace, take breaks as you need them, modify what you need to and just keep pushing. You will be able to watch yourself get better and do more each time you do a workout.

Take your measurements and lots of pictures (even if they pain you right now, haha) to document. I would have quit 3 weeks into my first round if I hadn't been taking my measurements and pics. The scale does not tell the whole story, especially with Insanity. Some people drop lots of pounds, but many people lose lots of inches/tone and your endurance will improve.

my round 1 results. I "only" lost 8 lbs but also lost 27 inches. Here is a pic

2nspr6.jpg

and I also put a video together on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRovgZdGj3I

:happy: Ok, so I did one week of insanity and stopped for a week. I've gained about 5lbs and feel all puffy and swollen, must be the water retention. So, now I'm discouraged and haven't done anything for a week. Maybe insanity isn't for me. Should I go back to doing the elliptical for 30 min per day or start over on the insanity program? Anyone else stop insanity after a week?
  • Ursulav2rv
    Options
    Guys you have to get a foam roller! its amazing ! helps me out big time with crazy muscle sorness !! :)