Can't eat enough on exercise days

Options
I'm having a hard time eating enough calories on my exercise days. I pretty much eat the same foods every day with the exception of dinner. I don't eat sugar, processed foods, or high calorie foods (except maybe nuts). When I run, I burn 300-500 calories and that's a lot to make up. Like an entire meal! How do those of you who exercise daily meet your caloric goal while still eating healthy foods?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!

If you are a creature of habit, you may be better off switching to a method that averages out your exercise calories. You can continue to use MFP and focus on your weekly numbers, or switch to TDEE-15%.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary it is open. I eat 1955 - 2000 cals per day. I am still on a deficit of course. I have no trouble hitting the macro or calorie goals : )
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't always eat them back. But when I'm under I'll have a bit of ice cream, chocolate and whatnot, totally guilt free, lol.
  • losbeatlesmolan
    Options
    well, if it was up to me I would love having a pizza/burger/muffin or whatever! In your case, try increasing the amount of carbs you have for lunch.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't really struggle in this area. :smile: However, I suggest eating more calorie dense foods (cheese, nuts, seeds, nut butters. full fat dairy, chocolate, eggs, avocados, smoothies, protein shakes etc). You don't say why you don't eat high calorie foods - since you're struggling to get the calories in, it would make sense to! Sometimes people who are trying to lose weight get stuck in a "I'm on a diet, I must eat only low calorie food" mentality. That doesn't help when you need more calories.

Also, spread the calories throughout the day if you don't already (ie you don't have to wait until after your workout to eat them) and even spread them out through the week. Some people find that they are hungrier the next day, for example. Look at it as a weekly target rather than a daily one, if that helps.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats: coconut oil, avacado oil, flaxseed oil, olive oil, (etc.)

I mix flaxseed oil into my evening shakes when I still need a lot of calories. Coconut/olive oil for low heat cooking and avacado oil for high heat.

It's barely noticeable and is really dense in calories. Plus they're healthy and better than calories from high carb meals (breads/bakery) IMHO
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time eating enough calories on my exercise days. I pretty much eat the same foods every day with the exception of dinner. I don't eat sugar, processed foods, or high calorie foods (except maybe nuts). When I run, I burn 300-500 calories and that's a lot to make up. Like an entire meal! How do those of you who exercise daily meet your caloric goal while still eating healthy foods?

Just make each if your meals 100-150 cals more by increasing portion size or adding in another element.

You don't need to squeeze in another 500 calorie meal, just space it out.
  • PrajnaFaux
    Options
    I guess I should have clarified that by high calorie food I meant junk food. I'm trying to eat as naturally as possible. I do love coconut oil, peanut/almond butter, and avocados. Thanks for reminding me of those!

Also, thanks for suggesting a weekly average. I think that may be key for me. I'm not usually very hungry after I exercise, so maybe I'll try adding a little extra to breakfast and maybe have a smoothie with coconut oil after exercising.