Moving Toward My Future and New Knees

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
Yep. That's what a knee replacement looks like.

KneeReplacement04_zps784bd3a3.jpg

How can a total replacement of both knees be a Success Story? :huh:

Start with a lady who weighed 280+ pounds last summer. Throw in a wheelchair and a lot of pain. Then, add a great doctor and an equal great surgeon who both said, "You can have 2 new knees and be able to walk again without pain. However..."

There's always a "however", when you are talking to doctors. My 'however' was..."You will need to lose 70 pounds." By that time, I was already down to 270.9 pounds; but that wasn't good enough. :grumble:

Now, comes the best part. Rather than accepting an offer to give me gastric bypass, I chose to lose the weight the 'good, old fashioned way' by changing what I ate and giving up my life of soda and junk food.

In December 2012, I made another great choice. I came to MFP and found help to count calories and get incredible encouragement from so many successful people.

This morning, I weighed in at 230.0 pounds. I haven't weighed so little in more than 30 years. I was so happy to be able to meet my surgeon this morning and share with him MY SUCCESS. I even gave him a print out of the MFP report, showing my weight changes for the past 90 days. He was really impressed and even asked, if he could keep that report to share with some of his other patients.

I couldn't believe it, when he said that he wanted to refer some of his patients to MFP. I told him, "Tell them to come to MFP and become my friends so I can encourage them too."

I learned some facts about my future today. My handsome (Yep. He's a cutie.) surgeon said that I still had be 200 pounds or less, before he can refer me to folks who schedule the surgeries. Yes...2 surgeries...right knee first; then, the left knee will follow a few months later. Rats! :angry: I was hoping to get them both on the same day; but the surgeon knows best. :ohwell:

Okay, I won't be getting my knees tomorrow or even next month; but today, I am a happy lady. I am now so thin that my under panties are falling down; and I had to buy some that are 2 sizes smaller. I have a handsome surgeon who is prepared to give me 2 new knees which will give me back my mobility. He said that I will be able to give away my wheelchair with those new knees.

Sure...I know that there will be pain with recovery, but it will be so worth it. I will have my life back. I will be able to walk my dog, ride around on a grannie trike and do so many things that I couldn't do for so long.

I am a very lucky lady. I will have a future that I couldn't have had, if I continued to weigh 280+ pounds. I owe some of that success to the wonderful people on MFP. You have encouraged and inspired me. You have made me wiser about food and fitness. You have shown me that I too can enter Onederland someday...real soon. :happy:

Replies

• MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Great story, and you're well on your way. Keep up the good work, you can definitely do it :)
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    bravo!!! you inspire me, and u are going to get those knees! blessings and prayers to u :)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Glad you had good news from the surgeon! So happy for you!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Glad you had good news from the surgeon! So happy for you!

When I asked my new surgeon (Dr. Handsome Jack Yu), "Will you be doing my surgeries?" His reply (with a beautiful smile) was, "I would be honored to do your surgeries. I don't get many patients with your determination and positive attitude." Gotta love him. :wink:

By the way, my BMI is now 39.46 which is way down from my starting point of 45+ BMI. I am now 'only obese'...not 'morbidly obese'. That's progress? :noway:
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Every day you make the to ugh choices and you can see your success!! So happy for you!:love:
  • christinamcglynn1
    christinamcglynn1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As a person with 2 bad knees myself (torn cartilage in both. Surgery on left when in 2006 and surgery on right in January) this really inspires me to know that I CAN be a success, even with crappy knees! :) Thank you!
  • Saucytee
    Saucytee Posts: 31
    Options
    I just LOVE you! I am so happy for you and so proud of you. I can't wait for you to get your new knees!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    how wonderful!!! congratulations!!!!!
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Excellent news! I am so glad that everyone is on the same page. Doesn't it make you feel so good that he was impressed with what you were doing? You are an inspiration. Every day gets you closer to your goal.

The song that just popped into my head is "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" by McFadden and Whitehead. The lyrics are awesome.

Congratulations on such a wonderful doctor visit. You will have those knees soon.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Excellent Story.

As a person who watched my mother go through two knee replacements 3 months apart(Right July 3, Left Oct 2), you do not want to have two done at once. You need to have one good leg to stand on, as they make you stand like a day after surgery. Also make sure you get into a good rehab facility instead of going home right away.

Your going to do great with your new knees.
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hooray for the good news!!! I have about 33# more to lose myself, so you and I can cheer each other on to our goals!!! I just love you and you are a great inspiration to me and many others. Thank you and God bless! :flowerforyou:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Excellent Story.

As a person who watched my mother go through two knee replacements 3 months apart(Right July 3, Left Oct 2), you do not want to have two done at once. You need to have one good leg to stand on, as they make you stand like a day after surgery. Also make sure you get into a good rehab facility instead of going home right away.

Your going to do great with your new knees.

I am prepared for whatever it takes. I am a tough, old girl. I have been through a whole lot of painful treatments over the years, and my doctors and therapist are usually quite surprised at just how quickly I rebound.

As for rehab, I will leave that up to my surgeon. I have unusually good medical coverage through my retirement.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Hooray for the good news!!! I have about 33# more to lose myself, so you and I can cheer each other on to our goals!!! I just love you and you are a great inspiration to me and many others. Thank you and God bless! :flowerforyou:

I will always be cheering you on, Sis. You have become very special to me. :flowerforyou:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Excellent news! I am so glad that everyone is on the same page. Doesn't it make you feel so good that he was impressed with what you were doing? You are an inspiration. Every day gets you closer to your goal.

The song that just popped into my head is "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" by McFadden and Whitehead. The lyrics are awesome.

Congratulations on such a wonderful doctor visit. You will have those knees soon.

Thanks for your prayers, Sis. :flowerforyou:

I don't know that song, but I keep thinking about an older song that was one of Dad's favorite, called 'Sunny Side of the Street'.

Grab your coat and get your hat
    Leave your worries on the doorstep
    Life can be so sweet
    On the sunny side of the street

Can't you hear the pitter-pat
    And that happy tune is your step
    Life can be complete

I used to walk in the shade with my blues on parade
    But I'm not afraid...this rover has done crossed over

If I never had a cent
    I'd be rich as Rockefeller
    Gold dust at my feet

That's me. I know that I am blessed. I do live on the sunny side of the street. :happy:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I just LOVE you! I am so happy for you and so proud of you. I can't wait for you to get your new knees!

Love you too, Sis. It is so nice to know that I have so many special friends on MFP. :heart:
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    So proud of you! What a moving story! :flowerforyou:
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    <3 how inspirational! I hope the surgery goes very smooth. I've had partial replacements and ACLs and it's a big difference being able to walk. Go you!!!
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congratz! That's a long ways to have come and you are inspirational! Good luck on the knee surgery.. and I gotta ask.. is the handsome doctor single? :wink: Hoping so for your sake!
  • Olive_Green
    Olive_Green Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Your positivity and motivation is truly inspiring, and I wish you the best of luck with your knees and new lease on life :)
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    that's a fantastic success story and so wonderful to hear!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!