Going gluten and fruit free

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's only for a few days. A lot of people sabotage their diets with way too much starch and sugar. Bread was my favorite food too, until I had to give up gluten. I've felt so much better that I've never cheated and never felt badly about missing bread. You eat more vegetables, like leafy green things, and protein, like meat and dairy.
  • mattashbrock
    Options
    I am always amazed at the amount of pseudoscientific beliefs that are in our society and especially in the realm of diet and weight loss. First of all while there are medical conditions to which gluten needs to be avoided in (celiac disease or actual allergy to gluten) this should no way imply that gluten is harmful to others. Sadly many people believe this and gluten has become a pseudoscientific boogeyman of sorts. By this same logic we should all be avoiding peanuts, shellfish, and nearly all other consumables to which a small portion of the population is allergic to. Maybe even people who are not allergic to penicillin should avoid it as well because some people are.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Not being mean but I didn't ask why I shouldn't do this I asked if anyone has done it and what were some meals. You can preach all you want but that is not what I'm looking for.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am always amazed at the amount of pseudoscientific beliefs that are in our society and especially in the realm of diet and weight loss. First of all while there are medical conditions to which gluten needs to be avoided in (celiac disease or actual allergy to gluten) this should no way imply that gluten is harmful to others. Sadly many people believe this and gluten has become a pseudoscientific boogeyman of sorts. By this same logic we should all be avoiding peanuts, shellfish, and nearly all other consumables to which a small portion of the population is allergic to. Maybe even people who are not allergic to penicillin should avoid it as well because some people are.
    Well put. It will be ignored because it's not trendy alas...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    So I went and visited my doctor today and while there I explain that I see a personal trainer and workout five times a week and for the most part I eat pretty good but I only lose two pounds a month. Recently I had a bad case of strep that made me lose eight pounds some of that was muscle mass. He told me to kickstart the weight loss I could for a few days eliminate gluten and fruit. Has anyone done that before? What did you eat since I love bread?

doctors and nutrition...

cutting out gluten will only help you out if you're sensitive, however you wont know you are until you cut it out - so i can get behind that one.

the fruit? that be just plain crazy girl! not a bad thing about fruit.
  • lithezebra
    Options

Gluten intolerance and celiac disease are not allergies, speaking of pseudoscientific misunderstandings. I'm sure that the OP's doctor is more qualified to give her advice than we are.

P.S. @HealthyEater - I have celiac disease, and my diary is open.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Cutting out gluten won't necessarily make you lose weight. And cutting out fruit? Lots of vitamins, minerals and nutrients in them. You should never cut out any food unless it a medical reason where you have to.. not to lose weight.

Keeping the same number of calories, whether you have gluten and fruit or not won't make a difference.

I'm not sure why a doctor would tell you to cut out fruit. Don't take nutrition advice from a doctor... see a dietician or nutritionist.

It's not long term like three days max

You might lose some water weight but it won't be lasting weight loss.

If you are stuck, change things up. Change up how much you are eating. Change up your exercise.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options

Gluten intolerance and celiac disease are not allergies, speaking of pseudoscientific misunderstandings. I'm sure that the OP's doctor is more qualified to give her advice than we are.

Good thing the Dr had the strep to diagnose her problem then.
  • lithezebra
    Options

Good thing the Dr had the strep to diagnose her problem then.

The doctor didn't diagnose her with a problem. The doctor gave the OP advice for losing some weight, and she came here asking for suggestions on implementing that advice.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of hearing gluten-free being bandied about as some kind of new health kick/weight loss strategy. I think it's very irresponsible for a *doctor* to recommend going gluten-free for weight loss. Giving up gluten has pretty much nothing to do with losing weight. It is wheat protein, not some evil dietary substance like so many have come to believe. The only people who benefit from going GF are those with celiac disease. For everyone else, it's a fad, and a potentially very expensive one at that.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Some gluten sensitivity won't show up on standard tests. No harm in cutting it out for a week or so and seeing if you feel any different. For many, gluten causes lots of bloating and distention, which is uncomfortable and not fun. For some people, these issues totally resolve when they stop eating gluten, even if they're never formally diagnosed with Celiac's or an allergy.

More to the point of the original question, tons of "regular" foods are gluten-free. Think: rice, corn, oats (if gluten-free oats; they're often contaminated in processing), quinoa. Most Mexican and Latin foods (excepting those with flour tortillas) are naturally gluten-free. Most Thai food is as well. Polenta, grits, wild rice, quinoa: all great grain choices for gluten-free.

Instead of pasta, I have polenta with pesto and veggies.
    Tacos with corn shells/ tortillas or migas (scrambled eggs with tons of veggies and corn tortilla)
    quinoa with stir-fried veggies
    brown rice or wild rice with stir fry
    acorn squash stuffed with wild rice and a poached egg, with a bit of parmesan on top
    falafel (make from scratch, since some mixes have a bit of flour)
    rice & beans
    sweet potatoes
    risottos (I love shiitake mushroom and green apple with thyme)
    Greek yogurt (plain, without sugars) is a great protein source and makes a great base for sauces for the above

Edited to add a few more gluten free foods:
    chili
    lots of veggie soups/ stews (don't use soy sauce or flour as a thickening agent for creamy soups)
    salade nicoise
    tuna salad with rice crackers
    guacamole

For breakfast, shrimp and grits or gluten-free oatmeal are great options

Hope that helps!