Low sodium, Diabetic, Low protein recipes?

Options
Lynnd2338
Lynnd2338 Posts: 3 Member
Hi ! Looking for low sodium, Diabetic, Low protein recipes, trying to stay away from wheat also. Any ideas? Getting tired of chicken and roasted veggies. Craving carbs and sweets, but trying to stay away. Need to reduce sodium, keep sugar levels balanced. Any ideas?

Replies

• iojon1
    iojon1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you like vegetable soup you can have 6 - 8 Cups of this a day without meat, or 3 - 5 Cups with meat.

1 lb. Lean stew meat

2 cans sweet corn with juice

2 cans fire roasted tomatos with garlic

1 can green beans

1 can peas

1 can lima beans

1 can carrots with juice

1 Can tomato sauce

1 can potatoes

1 whole onion

2 bay leaves

salt and pepper to taste

combined in pot until onions are cooked

ENJOY!!!!

Note: canned vegetables have more nutrition than fresh or froze
  • Masalamommy
    Options
    you can now find no salt canned black beans stewed tomaoes etc. I made a black bean navy bean vegetarian chilli with sweet potatoes and used mccormick low sodium chilli powder you can make black bean burgers i use pecans and onions and red peppers and penzeys bbq 300 spice they are awesome
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How do can vegetables have more nutrition than fresh? I thought they had a lot of sodium and preservatives.
    Even low sodium ones have more salt than fresh.
    Curious
  • iojon1
    iojon1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    fresh vegetables are picked before they just are completely ready for picking so they can be washed and transported, which makes them not get their full nutritional value. Where canned vegetables are picked at just the right time, and prepped and sealed in the can.

For more info go to: WWW.webmd.com
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    instead of saying what you want it to be low in, what is it supposed to be high in?
    low carb, low protein, what's left just fat? low carb high fiber?
  • georgespider
    Options
    As a fellow diabetic, you can have carve but just make sure that they are complex ones like brown rice and wholewheat pasts and these will also help keep you blood sugars more level, hope this helps : ) are you type 1 or 2?
  • georgespider
    Options
    That should cay carbs not carves! !!!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    That should cay carbs not carves! !!!

we knew that :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Why low protein too? Your leaving yourself a very small window here...

Zara
  • jenner1981
    Options
    Why low protein?
  • Jason67o48
    Options
    G.I. Diet recipes by Rick Gallop
    Some decent recipes in the 2 books I have from him. Good for diabetics.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    This tilapia recipe is pretty good:

4 tilapia filets
    4 garlic cloves crushed
    1 onion diced
    cayenne or black pepper or Mrs. Dash to taste

Rub garlic on filets. Sprinkle onions and pepper/herb mix over filets. Broil for 5-9 minutes until flaky.
    4 servings at ~220 calories, 74 mg sodium and 3.6 g carbs for each serving.

If you don't like tilapia, you can substitute salmon for about the same caloric and sodium content. We love salmon with just a little lemon and dill thrown under the broiler.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hi ! Looking for low sodium, Diabetic, Low protein recipes, trying to stay away from wheat also. Any ideas? Getting tired of chicken and roasted veggies. Craving carbs and sweets, but trying to stay away. Need to reduce sodium, keep sugar levels balanced. Any ideas?

Unsalted butter,
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Why low protein too? Your leaving yourself a very small window here...

Zara
    Some diabetics have issues with their kidneys and protien is bad for bad kidneys. My mother is diabetic and her kidneys are only functioning at 25% so they have her on a diabetic, low sodium, low protien diet.
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can take your favorite cookie or cake recipes and replace the sugar with splenda or truvia, replace your butter with smart balance, and replace half of your all purpose flour with oatmeal that you have processed to a powder in a food processor. Works wonders. My mother is diabetic and has been doing this for years. There are always baked goods in her house but now they are healthy.