Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    fat burning zone is bs
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    In a way they're kind of right. It's always good to do at least 10 minutes of a warm up/ cardio before strength, to prepare the muscles & get oxygen flowing to them.
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    if you are doing sets of 12-15 you are not lifting as heavy as you can ..

You might benefit from increasing the weight and getting into the 6-8 rep range...

I work out in that range and did my upper routine today and burned about 500 cals according to my body fit media...

yup hes right. If I could do more than 10 reps with good form i always up the weight and always try to hit no lower than 7 reps. i usually do 8-9. Never sacrifice good form for heavier weight. the form will build the muscles and burn more calories. just stay at a deficit and you won't need cardio.
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Fat burning zone is actually NOT bs at all...
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    it's not bs in that it exists. it is bs in that it should be a target zone to train in if your goal is fat loss..

here's why. do you know if you sit on your *kitten* all day and bum around, your body will burn NOTHING but fat? Thats right, if the fuel source of activity mattered at all, then the sit around on your *kitten* all day exercise program should be the best one ever since it does nothing but burn through your fat stores.

So why does the zone not matter? So you spend a good amount of time trying to stay in your fat burning zone. Good for you. Then you eat anything, and it goes right back into filling those same fat stores.

This is why the fuel source of exercise means squat. And why the goal is to be burning as many calories as possible. The better you can make a deficit, the better your fat loss will be.
  • meggyshae
    Options
    it's not bs in that it exists. it is bs in that it should be a target zone to train in if your goal is fat loss..

here's why. do you know if you sit on your *kitten* all day and bum around, your body will burn NOTHING but fat? Thats right, if the fuel source of activity mattered at all, then the sit around on your *kitten* all day exercise program should be the best one ever since it does nothing but burn through your fat stores.

Ummm...LOL thanks but no thanks for your advice...I've managed to burn over 2,000-3,000 calories a day on my own at the gym and have lost over 88 lbs in 7 months so it doesn't matter what anyone else tells me! I'm in nursing school and have learned a lot about the body and my own body and KNOW how to burn the goo the right way ;) so thanks..but NO thanks! ;)

• MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    Drop sets, supersets, accelerated cardio
  • meggyshae
    Options

So why does the zone not matter? So you spend a good amount of time trying to stay in your fat burning zone. Good for you. Then you eat anything, and it goes right back into filling those same fat stores.

This is why the fuel source of exercise means squat. And why the goal is to be burning as many calories as possible. The better you can make a deficit, the better your fat loss will be.

LOL this really means nothing to me...since I've managed to lose over 88 lbs on my own...your advice is ridiculous! the zone absolutely matters!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn should not be the focus of weight lifting. Weight lifting is done for body composition purposes - to maintain LBM, or when at a surplus, to gain LBM. Whatever calorie burn you get is a 'bonus'.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

LOL this really means nothing to me...since I've managed to lose over 88 lbs on my own...your advice is ridiculous! the zone absolutely matters!
    I can lose weight by smoking crack all day. Doesn't mean it's either healthy or smart. Just because something "worked" for you doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

The fat burning zone is a myth and you burning 2,000-3,000 calories at the gym is comical.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

I can lose weight by smoking crack all day. Doesn't mean it's either healthy or smart. Just because something "worked" for you doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

The fat burning zone is a myth and you burning 2,000-3,000 calories at the gym is comical.

^^THIS. That calorie burn is either comical or pretty sad and disordered.... :huh:
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    fat burning zone is bs

Yep.
    (*Sleeping burns the most fat. So you could nap more, I guess, if being in that zone is your goal).
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wear a Garmin fitness watch and it has totally taken me to the next level in fitness! It definitely is a numbers game and paying attention to the heart rate zone you need to be in for fat burning..versus just exercising your heart. I have it down to an exact science!

There's no "just exercising your heart". :)
    In fitness zone, as it is called, you improve your indurance and just overall fitness, obviously. But you ALSO burn calories/fat, so I'd always prefer that over staying in the "fat burning zone".
  • kaylakaminski
    Options

You might benefit from increasing the weight and getting into the 6-8 rep range...

I work out in that range and did my upper routine today and burned about 500 cals according to my body fit media...

yup hes right. If I could do more than 10 reps with good form i always up the weight and always try to hit no lower than 7 reps. i usually do 8-9. Never sacrifice good form for heavier weight. the form will build the muscles and burn more calories. just stay at a deficit and you won't need cardio.

I had always seen 12-15 as a guide but I will definitely up my weights for the 8 rep range. Thanks! I'm way more into weights now than I ever was cardio. I am just not a cardio girl. But it's nice to be assured that my heart rate/calorie burn is not as important as building strong muscles :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I had always seen 12-15 as a guide but I will definitely up my weights for the 8 rep range. Thanks! I'm way more into weights now than I ever was cardio. I am just not a cardio girl. But it's nice to be assured that my heart rate/calorie burn is not as important as building strong muscles :)

I do cardio twice a week ...one HIIT session and one steady state run of about three miles....

Are you doing compound lifts? What is your work out regimen liken now?
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    HIIT
  • kaylakaminski
    Options

I do cardio twice a week ...one HIIT session and one steady state run of about three miles....

Are you doing compound lifts? What is your work out regimen liken now?

Right now I am doing:
    Day 1: Back and bis
    Day 2: chest and tris and shoulders
    Day 3: Legs
    - notes: sometimes i split shoulders to their own day and do abs.
    - i try to do 20 minutes of jogging afterwards
    - my rest days are whenever i either cants get to the gym or am feeling sore and need it.
  • kaylakaminski
    Options
    Feel free to give me compound lifts for all my days. especially chest and back as those are not my strong points. I am good
    for legs!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    compound lifts for upper body:
    bench press- i do the basic laying all the way down version- supine bench press
    bor- bent over rows
    over head press