Squat Challenge - DOes it work?

Options
I have been doing the 30 day squat challenge since April 1st. I don't use any weights for it. I just do the squats all in a row until i got over 100. Like today, I did 3 sets of 50 to meet the 150 squat challenge for today. What kind of results did anyone else get from this without using weights? I would love to know. Thank ya

Replies

• catfulford
    catfulford Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    same here. im about to start today ive been wondering if it actually works.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody got some 30 day Squat Challenge pics they want to show off????????????????????????????
  • kayla_892
    kayla_892 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm on my 8th day and can already see a small difference. It tones up your butt and makes it more roundish while lifting it up some. Also tones up your legs too.
  • beiancade
    Options
    I am on 155. Had to double up today cuz I missed yesterday. But it has lifted my butt up n made my legs toner. I am a believer.
  • mmk2988
    mmk2988 Posts: 43
    Options
    Patience is more important. The difference cannot be noticed by you day by day.
    Some other people who see you weekly once or fortnight can see the difference.
    Bodyweight squats is better than Gym weight squats
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on what you're expecting it to work to do
    unless using your body weight alone isn't much of a workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Define "work"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. If I could do weighted squats, I'd do so in a heartbeat. From many people who have done both, the results that I know I would like (both aesthetic and strengthwise) are obtained doing weighted squats.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats kept my butt flat and my legs flabby.

Weighted squats with progressive overload made my butt round and my legs firm.

Your argument is invalid.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Why?

Doing low reps with a heavy weight on your shoulders will do a lot more for your muscles and put a lot less stress on your knees than 100s of BW squats.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    By definition it's a timed challenge of endurance not results... aka giving up something for Lent isn't about getting shredded. It's not necessarily about giving something up, but improving yourself to being better.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats involve stability muscles whereas machine squats will take some of that away. The body grows muscles when the fibers becoming stimulated.. this can be through heavy weight low repetition like 5x5 or lower weight and high reps.. like almost every single mass marketed female workout routine. The end result aesthetically will be similar except the person who trains higher weight will have also trained and gained strength vs. endurance.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If by "works" you means builds endurance, yes. If you mean sculpting an amazing butt, thighs, and lower back, no.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    it 'works' in that it gives better results than doing nothing.

But a massive quantity of bodyweight squats is a laughably pale shadow compared to the results you would get with a proper freeweight squat routine.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it's also a hell of a lot faster to do a few sets of weighted squats, using weight that is challenging for you,
    than to knock out a few hundred bw squats. that could take an hour.
    if you can do so many, it's time to try it with weights.

or if you don't have knee issues, jump squats, but the best is still weighted squats
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hmm....must try that
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats involve stability muscles whereas machine squats will take some of that away. The body grows muscles when the fibers becoming stimulated.. this can be through heavy weight low repetition like 5x5 or lower weight and high reps.. like almost every single mass marketed female workout routine. The end result aesthetically will be similar except the person who trains higher weight will have also trained and gained strength vs. endurance.

Nobody is talking about using a machine to do squats.
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    who uses a machine to squat?

brb repping 405 lbs
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am on day 26 as of tomorrow and my butt and thighs have never looked this good. It WORKS. Just make sure your form is good. Feet flat, weight on your heels NOT your toes, "big chest" (as in chest pushed out) and get LOW.

I am doing "dry squats" for now which is squats without added weight and the difference is unbelievable. DO it. :)