A little worried!

Options
I'm Steve, 24, about 5 ft11/6ft I lost 3 stone and then I put a stone back on. I now weigh about 15 stone. I have been overweight for I think 8-9 years, but I've put more and more on as the years went by, my highest weight was just over 17 stone.

I am worried about loose skin, I'm trying to lose 1 lb a week so maybe my skin can adjust to the weight change... I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day, Gym 4 times a week 2 of them are for cardio and the other is 2 for toning/weight lifting...

I think I might need to stop around 12 stone, I'm fairly tall so. Which means I have about 3 stone to lose however, my belly is still kinda big, so I'm worried.

What do you think my chances are of low or no loose skin?

Thank you,

Steve

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how old are you?
  • smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    He's 24.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm your height. I slowly crept from being 10 stone aged 18 up to 16.5 stone aged 26. I then got down to about 11.5 within a year and had no loose skin at all. A few stretch marks on the inner thighs and by the armpits that I can't really do anything about, but nothing else. You should be ok.
  • smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had a huge belly but I've started doing a lot of sit-ups every day and it really shows, I lost 18 cm or cca 7.1 inches from my waist in 10 days. So maybe do those :)

I'm currently at 170 sit-ups per day, increasing it by 10 every day :)
  • Stevo_89
    Stevo_89 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it. I am just really worried as I do feel like I do have a bit of loose skin already (mainly if I tug on it a bit, which I probably shouldn't do!) Surgery is a lot of money and loose skin I think would definitely lower my confidence, so I want to try and decrease my chances as much as possible.

Zomoniac & Smoootka, well done on your weight loss!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    He's 24.

true!

OP, you hsould be fine, the younger you are the less likely you will get very saggy.

keep your weight loss to 1lb per week. if you lose too quickly then you're more likely to have excess skin.
  • Stevo_89
    Options
    OK, thank you! ^ ^

Can anyone else speak from experience?
  • Pigbear
    Pigbear Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 31, 5'9" my starting weight was 16 stone 1 (225 IBS) and I am now 12 stone 8 (178 IBS) after 49 weeks. I had overall body fat issues but my stomach was also massive. My target is 12 stone 7. I haven't noticed much 'loose' skin. If I 'tug' on my stomach now there is a bit of skin which at the moment looks like it be a bit loose but I haven't been doing any training which I intend to start at week 52 (resistance training mostly with a shed load of crunches). I am confident that the stomach area (along with everywehere else) will get toned up.

So from my experience and point of view I am not concerned with excess skin at the end of the journey. I think you'll be good. Carry on!
  • Stevo_89
    Options
    Pigbear, your post was incredibly helpful and has made me less worried, thank you! Also, well done on your weight loss, a great achievement!

Also, I have some pretty bad stretch marks, is this a sign of me having loose skin when I have reached my target? They are on my. Stomach, sides, and arms.

EDIT: including the 3 stone I originally lost, then I put 1 back on, overall my weight loss target will be 70 lb (5 stone) I hear it's mainly *sometimes* common for people to get loose skin when they lose 100+
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have lost 6 stone, on a 5'3" frame, and I'm about 10 years older than you. I have a little loose skin. It's really not that bad though. On your larger frame, and with your younger skin, I'm sure you'll not have too many problems. The stretch marks won't go away (although they'll fade) but they're not necessarily an indication that you will also have loose skin there. Keep doing your strength training. and stop tugging on it!
  • Stevo_89
    Options
    Thanks Jester for the reply. Thanks for the boost of confidence and the information about the stretch marks, will hope they fade when I lose weight or something or I'll get some cream. & yes, I definitely need to stop tugging on it! Cheers. Well done on your weight loss mate.
  • Stevo_89
    Options
    Thought I'd bump this thread, I have a question - do lotions actually work for loose skin and if so, what are the best ones? Thanks.