Why Men Shouldn't Be So Hard on Themselves

Options
13»

Replies

• Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The painful irony of this video (although framed as comedy) is that it shows how much women resent men's self-esteem.

If this weren't a parody -- as it clearly is -- and if women described themselves to an artist and then men described those same women, you would have exactly the opposite results. The women's description would result in the "ugly" portrait, while the men's description would result in the good-looking portrait.

Even though it's comedic, this video is seething with rage and hurt that men, no matter what they look like, almost always consider themselves good looking. Women generally are much, much harder on themselves. That's a very real phenomenon, presented here by showing the flip side of the coin.

Having said all of that, the "rapey" eyes comment was brilliant!

you've seen the Dove video this is based off of, right? The one where women do, in fact, describe themselves in a less flattering way than others describe them.

No, I haven't.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Didn't find this funny in the least, people who have self esteem or my case (ED) problems constantly hate the way they look. Those who don't have psychological problems like that will never understand, and shouldn't attempt to. It's disappointing to see this was posted on a website that is supposed to be about bettering ourselves. Disgusting
    Not sure what your erectile dysfunction has to do with any of this.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I guess my only issue with the video is that at the end it says, men you are less beautiful than you think. They should have left that part out.
  • _Wonder_Woman_
    Options
    I guess my only issue with the video is that at the end it says, men you are less beautiful than you think. They should have left that part out.

LOL!!! All men are beautiful.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I get that "white Denzel" thing all the time too . . .

Me too!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow.... I feel soooo dirty... I always thought that what others saw...lol
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    They pretty much did a direct reversal of the original one starring women, like shot-by-shot. At the end of that one it says "Women, you are more beautiful than you think."
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    They pretty much did a direct reversal of the original one starring women, like shot-by-shot. At the end of that one it says "Women, you are more beautiful than you think."

Thanks! I youtubed that original video, couldnt sit through it :) PAINFUL!
  • _Calvin_
    _Calvin_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Didn't find this funny in the least, people who have self esteem or my case (ED) problems constantly hate the way they look. Those who don't have psychological problems like that will never understand, and shouldn't attempt to. It's disappointing to see this was posted on a website that is supposed to be about bettering ourselves. Disgusting
    Not sure what your erectile dysfunction has to do with any of this.
    ^^ Me neither. My ED problem at 18 was trying to get it to stay down.