Planned meals or NO?

Options
Good morning everyone! So this week I have only lost 1 pound. My goal this month is to lose 10 pounds. I have 4lbs more to go. So, this entire month I have been going over my sodium! Yesterday was the only day I went over my calories this week by just -53. I stopped planning out my meals b/c i felt some sort of freedom. But now I am thinking. should I start planning them out again? What do you do? & What works best for you?

Maybe instead of planning my meals to the tea, I can give myself a calorie limit for that meal?

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Planning healthy, varied meals is a good thing.

Planning repetitive & restrictive meals which are a pain to stick too, is a poop thing.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Planning healthy, varied meals is a good thing.

Planning repetitive & restrictive meals which are a pain to stick too, is a poop thing.

Not necessarily. I like to eat the same things over and over again so I normally pre log my meal. The only things I change will be like if I want strawberries or raspberries today. I normally have a cup of coffeenin the morning and the same meal every night with little variance. I don't feel it's restrictive, it's just foods that I like and I already know it fits my macros.
  • tricksee
    Options
    Not necessarily. I like to eat the same things over and over again so I normally pre log my meal. The only things I change will be like if I want strawberries or raspberries today. I normally have a cup of coffeenin the morning and the same meal every night with little variance. I don't feel it's restrictive, it's just foods that I like and I already know it fits my macros.

You pre-plan every single meal 365 days a year and eat the same meal each night, the only variable being either adding strawberries or raspberries?

You've no idea how bad I feel for you. But, If you're happy with it, I'm happy for you. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i make a meal plan each week when i do my shopping list... so i know what i'm having each day and usually log the night before. my husband and i have about half a dozen meals that we usually go for on week nights, which sometimes does get a bit boring but i like to have a plan!
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options

You pre-plan every single meal 365 days a year and eat the same meal each night, the only variable being either adding strawberries or raspberries?

You've no idea how bad I feel for you. But, If you're happy with it, I'm happy for you. Good luck.

Why would you feel bad for someone...because something different works for them? That's too silly. Everyone is different!

I pre-log my meals each morning, if I have the time. It keeps me from rummaging through cabinets and snacking.

It also enables me to stick with it more, because humans respond to habit, and structure.

I don't find it restrictive either, I find it motivating. Experiment, find what works for you...and revel in it :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

I only eat once a day but generally it looks something like this:
    Crepes
    Oatmeal
    Ice cream
    Buttered flatbread
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D

With the variables being:
    Seaweed
    Peanut butter
    Salad
    Hot chocolate
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Orange slices
    Apple slices

I usually pick three thing from the variables list and add it to the first list.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Crepes
    Oatmeal
    Ice cream
    Buttered flatbread
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D

Seaweed
    Peanut butter
    Salad
    Hot chocolate
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Orange slices
    Apple slices

I usually pick three thing from the variables list and add it to the first list.

and thats all you eat? EVER?
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options

Crepes
    Oatmeal
    Ice cream
    Buttered flatbread
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D

Seaweed
    Peanut butter
    Salad
    Hot chocolate
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Orange slices
    Apple slices

and all that at once? no judgement....but that would make me sick :/
  • tricksee
    Options
    Why would you feel bad for someone...because something different works for them? That's too silly. Everyone is different!

I don't feel bad because it works. I feel bad because they'd be missing out on a *kitten* ton of other things.
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options

I don't feel bad because it works. I feel bad because they'd be missing out on a *kitten* ton of other things.

"Pre-planned" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing everyday...maybe it's 365 different meals a year ;) But seriously...I pre-plan, and usually get a pretty good variety. Actually...I think it helps me make SURE I change it up...seeing it on paper and all.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Anyway, getting back on track....

OP, if your sodium was up it will cause water retention - try drinking mroe and cutting out salt (if you have a lot of processed foods it can be difficult as so many are high in salt to hide the lack of quality in the other ingredients). If you cook for yourself anyway ad less salt - if you hae a shaker block up all but one hole, as most peope shake it a set number of times and don't really know what they're adding!

Secondly, why do you want to lose so quickly? 10lb a month is rather a lot, given that 1lb a week is reckoned a "sensible" rate of decrease unless you are exceptionally overweight. If it comes off too quick its liable to bounce right back once you take your eye off it:wink:

I don't necessarily plan meals more than a day ahead, but I do keep in mind what needs using up, what is in the freezer etc. And I preplan t the extent of NOT buying things I know I can't resist, as otherwise I have to eat them.

And yes, setting a rough calorie limit per meal (don't forget snacks too) is a good idea - especially if you're looking through recipe sites, as you can see the calories per portion.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Many fitness aspiring members would prep their meals a day before hand if not much earlier to get the accuracy count and meet their macros...
    I don't :p I just make sure I get 3 protein shakes daily to fill a large part of my protein intake and eat what comes to hand obviously largely eggs, cheese, tofu, rice - I'm a very boring person when it comes to eating though I do snack on chocolate /crisps / sweets though it would never go over my BMR so I'm still in the cut nonetheless!:smokin:
  • tricksee
    Options

"Pre-planned" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing everyday...maybe it's 365 different meals a year ;) But seriously...I pre-plan, and usually get a pretty good variety. Actually...I think it helps me make SURE I change it up...seeing it on paper and all.

I think you need to read my very first post again...
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options

OP, if your sodium was up it will cause water retention - try drinking mroe and cutting out salt (if you have a lot of processed foods it can be difficult as so many are high in salt to hide the lack of quality in the other ingredients). If you cook for yourself anyway ad less salt - if you hae a shaker block up all but one hole, as most peope shake it a set number of times and don't really know what they're adding!

Not to be rude or be an *kitten* about it but there's nothing wrong with water retention, if a person wants to lose weight and largely meets his/her targets, they'll still lose a fair amount of weight anyway ... Water retention is not detrimental to someone's weight loss as it'll come back off in time anyway! :bigsmile:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Crepes
    Oatmeal
    Ice cream
    Buttered flatbread
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D

Seaweed
    Peanut butter
    Salad
    Hot chocolate
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Orange slices
    Apple slices

Pretty much. I'll stray from this list maybe once a week and have a piece of chocolate or some crackers but working with this list I can keep my macros as 40-30-30 with little effort while eating yummy food. It's healthier than it sounds though. The crepes are wheat/flour free, the main ingredient is egg whites. The oatmeal has protein powder in it, the ice cream is homemade with almond milk and PB2, and the flatbread is high protein/low carb.
  • EpicMeyri
    EpicMeyri Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Secondly, why do you want to lose so quickly? 10lb a month is rather a lot, given that 1lb a week is reckoned a "sensible" rate of decrease unless you are exceptionally overweight. If it comes off too quick its liable to bounce right back once you take your eye off it:wink:

I don't necessarily plan meals more than a day ahead, but I do keep in mind what needs using up, what is in the freezer etc. And I preplan t the extent of NOT buying things I know I can't resist, as otherwise I have to eat them.

And yes, setting a rough calorie limit per meal (don't forget snacks too) is a good idea - especially if you're looking through recipe sites, as you can see the calories per portion.

Unfortunately I cannot cook for myself b/c I dorm in school and there aren't any stoves in my building. So I kinda have to go with what I got. But I always thought losing 2 pounds a week was good. I didn't know that by doing this I'd be doing something wrong. So far I have been able to keep it off. and I do try to drink as much water as possible. But I think I will pre plan, I'll try to pre plan the meals and the calories and see how it goes from there.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I menu plan dinners for 7-10 nights at a time. I don't necessarily say Monday is fish, Tuesday is chicken but more of a list of meals I have stuff for just as quick reference so I'm not scrambling every night to figure out dinner.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Crepes
    Oatmeal
    Ice cream
    Buttered flatbread
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D

Seaweed
    Peanut butter
    Salad
    Hot chocolate
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Orange slices
    Apple slices

Pretty much. I'll stray from this list maybe once a week and have a piece of chocolate or some crackers but working with this list I can keep my macros as 40-30-30 with little effort while eating yummy food. It's healthier than it sounds though. The crepes are wheat/flour free, the main ingredient is egg whites. The oatmeal has protein powder in it, the ice cream is homemade with almond milk and PB2, and the flatbread is high protein/low carb.

if it works for you, thats all that matters!

the ice cream sounds delicious!
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Planned menus is a must for me!! Lots of fruit and spinach for me, add me as a friend if you'd like. :)
  • AMM160981
    AMM160981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I plan my breakfast and lunch and make my food every Sunday for the week so I am less likely to go GET lunch while I am at work. I eat any dinner but in moderation. My downfall lately (I was doingreally prior) has been snacking and stress eating. The planned meals works for me and I switch it up every week and breakfast is never the same. I think having a plan for at least the week, esp for breakfast and lunch is good because like someone else said, you can log your calories and know what you have for the day.