STARVATION

Options
Romba
Romba Posts: 164 Member
Hi :)

I just started a new job where I have to get up at 5:00am, get ready and eat breakfast early. My lunch isnt til 12:30 or 1:00 and by the time I get to lunch I am completely starving! I cannot eat a snack before then...its just too busy.

Any idea of a healthy-but-filling breakfast I can eat to tie me over?

Any advice would be most helpful!!!

Replies

• TruSunshine
    TruSunshine Posts: 178
    Options
    That's a very good question. I too have an early schedule like yours and find it impossible to not eat a snack before lunch. Maybe you can eat a piece of fruit for a quick snack. If not, i find that a breakfast full of protein usually helps me a lot. Hope this helps.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Can you have a drink close by? I know it's probably not the best but I freeze a bottle of Special k water and sip on it in the morning as it thaws. It has fiber and protein in it.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Youve got to be able to keep something in your pocket you can pick at. Id suggest a cereal bar, nuts ... something that doesn't melt lol.
  • dgweisblatt
    Options
    First of all - no need to starve! Try these breakfasts - I switch off between them:
    1) Two hard-boiled eggs and two small pieces of spelt toast (sometimes with a little tehina and sometimes plain) - Use other diet bread if you like.
    2) A 250gram tub of 3% cottage cheese and some fruit (whatever's in season that you like)
    3) 1/2 cup oatmeal (I cook this with a little water in the microwave when I get to work and add some milk) with 1/3 cup blueberries and 1T ground flax seeds.

Now, you can't possibly go until lunch to eat again, so I suggest after your healthy breakfast (pick one of the above), you have a snack in the middle of your morning. I like 10 cherry tomatoes (no prep necessary and yummy and only 3 calories each) or other cut up veggies. If you didn't have fruit for breakfast, have something for snack. You could also add a cheese stick for a bit of protein and to keep you feeling a little full.

You CAN do this!!!
  • citizen72
    citizen72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can you have a drink close by? I know it's probably not the best but I freeze a bottle of Special k water and sip on it in the morning as it thaws. It has fiber and protein in it.

Sorry, this is probably because I am in the UK, but what is Special K water, I've never heard of it?
  • tuesgirl1031
    tuesgirl1031 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same kind of schedule. So far Kashi Go lean crunch is the ceareal that stays with me the longest. 200 calories, 9g of protine, 8g fiber 4.5g fat, for 1 cup.and if you can keep some almonds..in desk, or in a pocket, (depending on what you do) that is helpful. Much luck!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Here's some ideas....

- Egg sandwich - fried egg (with light oil or spray), 2 pieces of toasted ezekiel bread and a slice of light cheese. Pair this with a yogurt and you'll be good to go.

- Oatmeal with a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit

- Egg white omelette with light cheese, spinach and a generous piece of avocado

The key thing with filling meals for me is to make sure i have something with a monounsaturated fat in it (oils such as olive or flax, nuts and seeds, olives, avocado, and high-quality dark chocolate). Monounsaturated fats are key for keeping you full and they minimize bloat.
  • coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    going to agree with tuesgirl1031, Kashi products are high in fiber and tend to keep hunger at bay for longer. Try also drinking a fiber drink, just the type you mix with water or even a pill, before you eat your breakfast. This will help you keep a full feeling. Also if you can keep water near you... not sure if bathroom breaks are also limited.. but drink LOTS of water. fills the tummy.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Egg and Cheese Omelet with Ezekiel Bread and Honey Butter

Egg Beaters - Egg Beaters, 0.5 cup 60 2 0 12 230
    Kraft Singles - Sharp Cheddar 2% Milk Slices, 1 slice 45 1 3 4 250
    Ezekiel - Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread, 1 slice 80 15 1 4 75
    Kitchen Pride - Baby Bella Sliced Mushrooms, 5 medium mushrooms 20 3 0 3 0
    Shedd's Spread Country Crock - Honey Spread Butter - Limited Edition, 0.5 Tbsp (11g) 30 2 3 0 23

Total: 235 Cals, 23 Carb, 7 Fat, 23 Protein, 578 Sodium

Toasted Grilled Cheese

Boar's Head - Muenster Cheese Sliced, 1 slice 80 0 4 5 140
    Food for Life - Ezekiel Spouted Grain Bread - Low Sodium, 2 slice 160 30 1 8 0
    Sargento - Reduced Sodium Colby-Jack Cheese Slice, 1 slice (19g) 70 0 6 4 90

Total: 310 Cals, 30 Carb, 11Fat, 17 Protein, 230 Sodium
  • gwainwright
    gwainwright Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Banana's - they keep you full for longer

Try museli or oat based cereal with sliced Banana and maybe mixed berries on other day

Also smoothies with low fat yoghurt mixed into it - works wonders for me! ( I mix them in with milk aswell and make them into a milk shake)

Stay away from high fat and eat slow-energy releasing foods such as fruit

Hope this helps
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm not going to be able to eat for a long time I try to have a bowl of porridge before leaving the house, sometimes with sliced banana on top.

Also, I keep a selection of fruit in my car/bag so that I can eat on the go if I feel slightly peckish...
  • beasy22
    beasy22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of porridge (with water) for breakfast, this fills me up till lunch time and is yummy, healthly and cheap !

X
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Crustless quiche - really easy to make.

Crack 9 eggs into a bowl, whisk them til smooth. Add in meat or veggies of choice - I recommend bacon, sausage, Canadian, bacon, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.

Grease a muffin pan, fill each cup with mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, in the last 5 minutes, you can also add a bit of cheddar to the top of each muffin for added flavor.

Depending on your fillings, they run anywhere from 75-150 calories each. Eat 3 or 4 of them and a piece of fruit and that'll tide your hunger over pretty well.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I love the idea of these crust-less quiches! I'm going to give them a try! Thanks for the tip! : )
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    I love the idea of these crust-less quiches! I'm going to give them a try! Thanks for the tip! : )
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Sorry about my triplicate postings. My computer whacked out on me : /
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of porridge (with water) for breakfast, this fills me up till lunch time and is yummy, healthly and cheap !

X

I agree - porridge is good and takes all of three minutes in a microwave. Add sliced banana
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Special K water is a beverage made by Kellogg's, who makes Special K cereal. I have no idea why the two have the same name. It's just fortified with some protein, fiber, and vitamins, I think.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I have been stuck on eating the same breakfast for awhile.