Attn Insanity People- Given up on trying to do it in the AM

Options
Since starting my "journey" last August I have always enjoyed exercising first thing in the morning. I get up, pack lunches for my daughters and myself, get in my workout clothes and kill it. Since starting the Insanity program that has not really worked. I'm on Month 2 day 5 and I don't know what it is, but I just can't get up and do it. It is too intense for that early in the morning I guess. Plus I am on an empty stomach, or I did try eating a banana first. I don't do well eating before exercise and I just don't have time as I already get up at 5:30 am. I just can't give it my all that early. Or maybe it's that I am not totally in love with the program like I was for all of the Jillian stuff I was doing prior to Insanity.

It really messes up my routine, and I have to do it right after work, but before dinner (can't imagine doing it after dinner). So my girls are hungry for dinner but they have to wait an hour and a half (shower is NEEDED after that workout).

Anyway, what time of day do you do Insanity? Do you notice a difference in your energy and burns?

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I usually workout after work every day. When I was doing Insanity I tried mornings a couple times before work but felt like I didn't have the energy
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I usually do it at 5:45am. Some days it's harder than others and I am considering moving to evenings when I start Month 2 next week. I will try it out, but listen to my body. Since it's longer, I may not feel like getting up earlier either. We will see though. Won't know until I try.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Part of it being so hard to doing in the morning really could be that you don't enjoy it as much as other programs. I agree that it is intense for the morning. I was never really a morning workout person but I wanted to try to change that and tried a couple months ago when I 1st got Insanity. Surprisingly I was able to do it most mornings for about 3-4 weeks. Well, I wasn't only doing Insanity, half of the week my workouts might just be a walk on the Treadmill. I did feel great once I was done and had more energy early in the day. The only problem I found was that I was more hungry all day long so went back to working out after work. I miss having it done early and now that the weather is getting warmer I'd like to have my afternoon/evenings for other things so I'm really going to try the morning again and just do my best to deal with my hunger.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person. AT ALL! But I have a friend who gets up at 4 each day to go to the gym. My first week of Insanity she called me and woke me up, making sure I was awake at 4:15 to do it. I had to start going to bed earlier (between 9-10) but I've been pretty good so far. I like doing it on an empty stomach and getting it out of the way. I'm only on day 8 though, we shall see if I can keep this up.
    In fact, yesterday morning I didn't want to get up and do it. My husband said "well that was fast" I said "what?" he said "I knew you'd give up getting up early." That gave me enough UMPH to get my *kitten* out of bed and burn those calories just to show him UP :)
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Always try to work out in the morning, and get it out of the way. Later in the day, domestic shores, tiredness, kids get in the way and feel like I can't be bothered exercising. Sometimes I get a spike in the evening (20:00) and if my wife allows me :laugh: I will nip to the gym for an 30mins intensive workout. But definitely morning is better for me.
    JC
  • GraeKat
    GraeKat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing an Insanity/Brazil Butt Lift hybrid @ 5:15 or so in the morning. I did Insanity by itself for the entire 60+ days. My alarm goes off at 4:30 and I roll out of bed (usually having slept in a sports bra or at least my socks). .and head to the gym 20 minutes away from my house. It's like getting on the go before my brain realizes what's going on. I don't consider myself a morning person. . but once I'm up. .I'm up and ready to go. It feels awesome to get it over with and know how many calories I have to eat for the rest of the day.

I do Shakeology right after the workout. .but before hand on the way to the gym, I'll drink 16 oz of water, then either eat
    greek yogurt (for protein) w some granola
    tuna out of a bag (one serving) and an apple
    or 2 oz of smoked salmon and an apple.

The apple is for the natural sugar rush. . and so I don't have fish mouth while I'm working out. lol :sick: Sometimes a serving of nuts. Something to give me protein in the morning before a workout. .but nothing too heavy to make me feel like a big blob.

Hope this helps.:happy:
  • k9t8a8
    k9t8a8 Posts: 30
    Options
    I try to get it out of the way in the morning, but like some other posters, I have noticed it makes me hungrier throughout the day. There are days like this morning though, where I just couldn't get myself out of bed at 4:15, so it will have to wait until after work.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have to do it in the evening. I have tried to do morning workouts and it usually lasts about a week, lol. Insanity is very intense though, and I have noticed that I actually sleep so much better on nights that I do my insanity workouts. (I have a hard time with sleep so this really helps me) I am so beat after all the days activities and then doing an intense workout that I am ready for bed! And you don't have to worry about being hungry all day because you are sleeping!! I do it after the kids go to bed, so its usually around 830, 900 so it doesn't interfere with kid time either. I recommend doing whats best for YOU!! If you can't get up in the morning, do it in the evening. If that doesn't work switch it back to mornings. You definitely don't want to get tired of the workouts because you will be more inclined to give up. I am sure you will figure it out!! Keep me posted :) You have been doing so great so far!!