ironing

Options
Does ironing burn any calories - cant find it anywhere !! if so how many per hour please ?

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I consider it part of my normal daily activities. It's not like it's burning any more than doing the dishes or cooking dinner, and I don't count those. Heck, I probably burn more doing my hair each morning.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's not there and questions about logging this (and housework in general) provoke very heated responses.

I don't iron as a rule (I pay someone else to do it) and I have a very sedentary job. So on the rare occasions I do iron for more than a few minutes I log it as housework/cleaning but only log half the actual time.

I'm now waiting for the heated responses!!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Only if you're running while doing it.
  • wheysted999
    Options
    Does ironing burn any calories - cant find it anywhere !! if so how many per hour please ?

The difference it makes is so little it's not worth bothering to count ;) But all the little things you do throughout the day instead of sitting or lying down makes a big difference when it's all added up. A busy bee burns a lot more calories than a couch potato.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Only if you're running while doing it.

^This. Unless by "ironing" you mean lifting iron. That can count too.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    crBjNaD.jpg
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the guy that does my laundry and irons it burns some calories doing it...
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Ironing definitely burns when I do it. Except it burns most of my clothes, not a whole bunch of calories.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I only burn myself, not calories, when I iron.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1000/hour. I'm sending my ironing to you to do so you can burn some extra cals....
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Do you break a sweat doing it? What's your heartrate at? Is it elevated for more than 20 minutes? What's your activity level set to at? If it's lightly active, certainly don't log it. If it's sedentary, I still wouldn't log it.

What's the point of logging it? Is it to be able to eat more?

Really, you want to log exercise... activities that genuinely count toward helping you get in shape. I don't think ironing counts IMO, and will go a step further to say that if you are counting 20 minutes of ironing as your daily exercise, then you are cheating yourself.

Note:
    My first response was to come up with a sarcastic comment... like, only if your iron weighs 50 pounds...
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mkfwccYHTj1qz4rgp.jpg

tumblr_inline_mkfwd47TeA1qz4rgp.jpg
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :indifferent: :laugh: :indifferent:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nope..I'd never log anything unless I'm out of breath while doing it.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I only really think of housework as a calorie-burning exercise when I'm doing a big session of it ie. the whole house and doing a wide variety ie. vacuuming, washing pots, dusting, de-cobwebbing etc. Anything else seems a bit optimistic, but that said- all activity is good.
  • Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    What is ironing?!!

Does it have to do with smelting iron in Ironforge?!
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nope..I'd never log anything unless I'm out of breath while doing it.

i could count most of what i do if all i have to do for it to count is to be out of breath..... hmmmm... would holding your breath count then?????? :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What is ironing?!!

Does it have to do with smelting iron in Ironforge?!

It's what Iron Man does.

tumblr_m4leyfNmft1r9d20no1_250.gif
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Search for *female housework*.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Anything I did as part of my daily, weekly routine (vacuuming,ironing,sweeping,sex,mopping,etc) when I got fat DOES NOT COUNT.
    Hope that helps....