Foot numbness on eliptical trainer

Options
2»

Replies

• blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I too get this!! It improved when I bought better shoes, but it just delays it. If you find out a way to stop it let me know :wink:

Shoes definitely make a difference. Had some Saucony shoes and never experienced it unless I was on it for an hour or more. Then got some Mizunos and I would be hurting and eventually numb after about 10 minutes. Got new Sauconys and it's much better. Not picking on Mizuno...just think the ones I got had less cushioning than the Sauconys.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    I wrote dumbness but meant numbness. Now I feel dumb...lol
    :laugh:

Thanks for all the great input.
  • rmbaker
    rmbaker Posts: 7
    Options
    I thought I was the only one this happened to! My right foot ALWAYS goes numb on the elliptical. I don't understand why. I try to wiggle my toes to help it, but they usually stay numb and tingly until I get off the elliptical
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Agree with the foot placement - try to use your whole foot. Physical therapist advised of this and said that exact thing - if you stay on your toes/ball of the foot, your feet go numb...
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I use flip flops and alternate backwards and forwards and it doesn't happen anymore.
  • melly0224
    melly0224 Posts: 15
    Options
    I seriously thought I was the only perso with this problem. Glad to know I'm not. I have found that since I've been doing it more often it has gotten a lot better and sometimes doesn't even go numb at all.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I experience this on the treadmill, and not the elliptical. I thought it might be related to a previously back injury. Do you have any lower back or core issues? It may be related to this, because I highly doubt that a consistent numbness only on one side is due to tight shoelaces. Seems odd to me that I would feel numbeness always and only on my right side, and after 15 minutes, every time, due to my shoes (or the right shoe in particular), know what I mean?

I agree with a previous poster, it's a circulation thing, perhaps due to nerve issues in your core, someplace (like my lower back for me, hip flexor for others, etc). I'm still trying to find tricks on how to make it go away without disrupting my workout.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    haha i get this too. Kicks in after about 10-15 minutes or so. Thought I was the only one. If I wear my barefoot shoes (vibram 5 fingers) it doesnt happen, but any other lace up running shoes it always does....I probably tie them too tight I guess.

Interesting. I'll have to try my Fila Skele-toes. I love them but don't run in them as I've still to heavy for that and need more cushioning.
  • Grabbit5
    Grabbit5 Posts: 9
    Options
    i have this issue too. the solution for me was all in the shoelaces. google some different lacing techniques and try a few out. i was surprised to learn that there are dozens of lacing techniques beyond the traditional criss-cross - and each have a specific purpose. good luck!
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. I use one foot for awhile. Otherwise, I do other cardio.
  • Mazeway
    Mazeway Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    press with the heel
  • SaraC1977
    SaraC1977 Posts: 51
    Options
    Me too! It's a revelation..ha, ha. I thought I was the only one. It only happens in my right foot though. I try to move my foot around while I'm on it and try not to fall off. It usually helps a little but now I just deal with it. I go for about 45-60 minutes. I can't really get off it and wiggle because the ellipticals at Planet Fitness revert back to the beginning after about 5 seconds of inactivity. I learned this the hard way when I stopped to get water and came back and had lost all my stats. I had only been gone about 30 seconds, too.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get the same problem. I find that if, while still on the trainer and doing the workout, I put my weight on my heels (sorta lean back a little while pedaling) for a minute the numbness goes away. Sometimes it will return a couple of times during my workout, but I just put my weight on my heels again and keep going.
  • Hike_higher
    Options
    I was getting it too and found out I needed wide size shoes :( I also rock back on my heels for a little bit and it seems to allow blood to start flowing to my toes again.
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    yep...get this all the time...about 20-30 minutes into it...I usually just place my foot differently, more on the toes or heels, for couple of minutes and it goes away...
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Some people have this and is related to nurse pinching. Also if the elliptical has a shorter stride length it is sometimes possible, try different model or ask advice of staff at work out area if the stride length varies. Also avoid leaning over the machine. If L4 and l5 of your spine is compressed you can get pain and numbness too. Posture is important on elliptical . Remember straight neutral spine , tucked under gluts(trying to say tuck your *kitten* under :) shoulders back, chest up. Sometimes you have to get off and do a little stretching if the numbness starts...yeah, I know this happened to me a lot! Sometimes you just have to try other equipment too. Have you tried a step climber instead? My sister gets this when she rac walks if she does not warm up....her cure is to Crandall, cross her feet over and then relaxed forward and try to touch her toes...she learned this while playing basketball and she's aid it helped. Good luck!!!!!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Take off the shoes. Let your feet work as nature intended them to. The basic problem is your feet are weak due to wearing shoes. Only a small percentage should be wearing support shoes.

Strengthen your feet by going bare foot as often as you can. (expect your feet to ache for the first few weeks)
  • angserino
    angserino Posts: 59
    Options
    Wow! I thought I was the only one that had this problem. My toes go numb after being on the elliptical for an hour. When I go backwards, it goes away. Some interesting suggestions here. Thanks, OP for posting.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me. I solved it by not using the elliptical anymore.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Maintain flat foot. Being on the balls of your feet will cause the numbness.