I just found out I'm lactose intolerant :(

Options
WAH! No more ice cream! :sad:

I've been having digestive problems for months and finally singled out dairy as the culprit. So those of you who are lactose intolerant - what do you do as far as yogurt, milk, cheese, etc? I'm a dairy fiend and I never had any idea that this was causing my problems, so I'm nervous that I'll have a hard time finding decent substitutes in my diet. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    http://www.daiyafoods.com :love:

but sorry to hear that!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You are so lucky. Go get some Silk Almond milk like Vanilla or Chocolate. You can drink it straight or blend it with fruit or whatever. There are a lot of people here with a lot of creative ideas. But, I just drink it straight it is so yummy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Or you can take lactase enzyme tablets to help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid dairy most of the time - not lactose intolerant, just not a big fan. But most of my family is lactose intolerant, and I do much of the cooking/shopping for them. You may still be okay with yogurt, something about the bacteria - a lot of people say they can have it no problem. I've heard there is lactose free yogurt too but I have ever seen it. Of course there is soy and coconut (So Delicious) yogurt. Lactose free milk is very common and can be found in nearly every grocery store. I prefer unsweetened vanilla almond milk, only 40 calories and SO creamy and yummy. You may be able to find lactose free cheese in the cheese section, but I know they have vegan non-dairy cheese as well. I can't vouch for the quality. Instead of ice cream try non dairy sorbet or soy/coconut ice cream. The trick is going to be to look in a better grocery store or a health food store for more options. Of course, you may just be able to take some lactaid pills before having any dairy (they don't work for some people). Good luck!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    ALMOND MILK! Also you could look at some vegan cheeses. Not sure on the yogurt thing...
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    oh i also forget

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-frozen-desserts

for ice cream! you can get it at whole foods!
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am not lactose intolerant or vegan but have noticed a huge change after I stopped eating dairy when it comes to my mood and digestion. I only drink almond milk and get all my calcium from veg such as broccoli and kale as well as salmon and almond products like almond butter.

I rarely have ice cream anymore but when I do I still go for the normal ones. I guess it's worth it once in a while having a tablet to enjoy Ben n Jerrys if you're lactose intolerant hehehe. Otherwise Wholefoods will definitely do vegan ice cream.
  • HippieMomma86
    HippieMomma86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not lactose intolerant, but I don't do much dairy except cheese and yogurt. For milk, I drink Hemp Milk. It's healthy and tastes great. There is also Tempt ice cream that is made with hemp. I've only had the chocolate but it was amazing.
  • Ragingwitch
    Options
    Soya. I can't have milk, ice-cream or cream but I can still eat cheese and yoghurts. Everything else has to be soya! Just make sure that you are getting enough calcium from other foods; you won't miss dairy that much as there are so many available substitutes but you do need to watch bone density.
  • anniedy
    anniedy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Both my boyfriend and I are lactose intolerant and are dairy fiends as well.

Things to help:
    Almond milk, rice milk, or lactose free milk. Lactose free tends to be a touch sweeter in my opinion, but I like it more than the other options. Also you can find lactose free chocolate milk which just about made my day when I found it.

There are lactose free cheeses out there, but most aren't that great. I had one the other day that was good and will try to find the name and post it here later.

Lactase pills. Oh dear God these saved my life. Pop one in before you eat the lactose substance and you are good for around a half hour. The timing is based on your body, but this is the general time limit for most people. We buy the kirkland brand from costco because they work the best for us and are the best price in our area.

Coconut milk ice cream. It's even creamier than normal ice cream.

Yogurt typically has very very little lactose in it, so we don't do anything special when eating it. However I believe yoplait came out with a lactose free line a little bit ago.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Cabot brand cheddar is lactose free and that cheese is amazing.